Didius Julianus "gift".

Spaniard

Bought a couple of coins from @Finn235 and he put this one in as a gift!.....( Thanks Steve )..

I'm assuming this is a Dupondius at around 25mm diameter and just over 11 grams (digital kitchen scales). It's much nicer in hand as cameras are very unforgiving. There seems to be no BD feels stable. 20220830_200150.jpg.cd3417008a5bd7167fc56a9a7c6cdf50.jpg20220830_200204.jpg.bfff106f03cba1514e864d03c2e48b01.jpg20220830_200222.jpg.ca3c7b7b17eea8df131dc8d6429f5446.jpg

Didius Julianus, 193 A.D. Dupondius. 

IMP CAES M DID IVLIAN AVG, radiate head right.
CONCORD MILIT S-C, Concordia standing front, head left, 
holding legionary eagle and standard.
RIC#11.

Any thoughts appreciated...

Feel free to post your coins of the man who bought the Roman empire or a gifted coin that surprised you.

• Like 14
  • Clap 3
  • Mind blown 1

This is my Didius that I acquired at the FUN show in Orlando in July. 

image.png.f201f22925f4083f71dcbe4faba1826c.pngimage.png.1f79c816fff881683c11c35c56f46292.png

Didius Julianus AR Denarius. Rome, AD 193. [IMP C]AES M DID [IVLIAN AVG], laureate head to right / CONCO[RD MILIT], Concordia standing facing, head to left, holding aquila and vexillum. RIC IV 1; BMCRE 2; RSC 2. 3.24g, 17mm. This was an unexpected buy for me.

This one coin and vacation I will never forget as my wife and I caught Covid on the trip!  

• Like 11

Similar type except mine is a denarius

Ar Denarius of Didius Julianus 193 AD Obv Head right laureate. Rv. Concordia Militum standing facing head left holding two legionary standards. RIC 1  3.12 grms 17 mm Photo by W. Hansendidiusjulianus2.jpeg.60e89028daafd19452b57e8e18190180.jpeg

This individual enters the history books because of one of the more bizarre stories in the often fascinating history of the Roman Empire. He is the living embodiment of "be careful what you wish for you might get it." 

• Like 12

30 minutes ago, Dafydd said:

This one coin and vacation I will never forget as my wife and I caught Covid on the trip!  

Nice example!.....Sorry to hear about the covid and hope you're both well now..With a coin like that it must've been worth it though eh?

32 minutes ago, kapphnwn said:

This individual enters the history books because of one of the more bizarre stories in the often fascinating history of the Roman Empire. He is the living embodiment of "be careful what you wish for you might get it." 

Great looking coin! Your quote is very true...When I was a kid I always wanted to be "older"!

I know all his coins are expensive but seem to remember reading his Denarii are more abundant than his bronzes...Is this true?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Spaniard said:

Nice example!.....Sorry to hear about the covid and hope you're both well now..With a coin like that it must've been worth it though eh?

Great looking coin! Your quote is very true...When I was a kid I always wanted to be "older"!

I know all his coins are expensive but seem to remember reading his Denarii are more abundant than his bronzes...Is this true?

Thank you @Spaniard, yes it was worth thank you as the coin was totally unexpected and far less than I had anticipated paying. 

• Like 2

• Benefactor

Thank you , @spaniard , for posting your gift coin from @Finn235 !

The generosity of our fellow ancient coin collectors has always been an inspiration for me. 

Here are a few of the gifts I’ve received over the years from my friends in the ancient coin forums.

image.jpeg.2dfbe94ac6e36b280dd346ae5d00e9a1.jpeg

Edited by LONGINUS
  • Like 7
  • Heart Eyes 1

7 hours ago, LONGINUS said:

Here are a few of the gifts I’ve received over the years from my friends in the ancient coin forums.

Longinus - Your presentations are always unmatched. Madness. Every time it is a pleasure to see your coins presented in this way. Please show many more of your coins in this way - fantastic. 

👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Benefactor
8 hours ago, Prieure de Sion said:

Longinus - Your presentations are always unmatched. Madness. Every time it is a pleasure to see your coins presented in this way. Please show many more of your coins in this way - fantastic. 

👍

Thank you, @Prieure de Sion — Your kind words are inspiring   !

• Smile 1
  • Cookie 1

• Benefactor

Nice gift and a coin from the man who promised each Praetorian 25,000 sesterces if nominated as emperor. Whether he paid up such a kingly sum is unknown, though it seems doubtful. At any rate, when the real army of Septimius Severus approached they panicked and dispatched the wealthy senator.

• Smile 1