Herrenius Etruscus as Augustus in a non-descript group lot

Roman Collector

@ambr0zie and I were talking about an astonishing price realized for a group lot at today's Aphrodite auction. Apparently, whoever tried to cherry pick the Herennius Etruscus didn't get the bargain they were hoping for!

Capture.JPG.baed6c182c000fe14086806bc7c66d68.JPG

Four low grade coins: some LRB slug, a Gallienus, a Philip I and ... look at that boyish face with the IMP C Q HER ETR MES DECIO AVG inscription and the VICTORIA GERMANICA reverse (RIC 154).

3144803_1659968622.jpg

358061579_Capture1.JPG.52744049bef719612fba1507d25591bf.JPG

That's a coin that MIGHT clean up with some professional attention to the verdigris on the reverse ... but still!!!

Thats Insane GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Edited by Roman Collector
Added a link to the auction lot and a photo of the coin
  • Like 7
  • Laugh 1
  • Confused 3

At least I am a little relieved, I didn't pay enough attention and I didn't realize the 4th coin is Herrenius as Augustus, which are rare and expensive.

But why would somebody risk and getting the coin (that might or might not be saved) along with 3 ... inferior coins, to put it mildly, beats me.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ambr0zie said:

At least I am a little relieved, I didn't pay enough attention and I didn't realize the 4th coin is Herrenius as Augustus, which are rare and expensive.

But why would somebody risk and getting the coin (that might or might not be saved) along with 3 ... inferior coins, to put it mildly, beats me.

Nonetheless, that coin is not even worth 1/3 the hammer price.

• Roman Collector changed the title to Herrenius Etruscus as Augustus in a non-descript group lot
2 minutes ago, ambr0zie said:

Some people need to value money a little more. Current money, not just ancient money.

Yeah, that Mantle trading card that went for $12 mill, 😳. It's a condition rarity, but still, it's pretty insane.

Edited by Kali
  • Like 1
  • Clap 1

I suppose that's what happens when you decide you have to win a lot because you don't know when you'll get another chance. Leu sold a Herennius Etruscus as Augustus for CHF3,000 and an unpublished one for CHF4,200, while Naville sold one for GBP3,200. That's it on CoinArchives back to March, so it's an expensive target.

The CHF3,000 coin was also RIC 154, and rather well cleaned with a worn die, so perhaps it's a very good buy if it cleans ok.

Thankfully, I've only made it necessary to have one Herennius Etruscus at any rank.

Herennius Etruscus (under Trajan Decius) Antoninianus, 250-251

image.png.443e35a107b0f6a83de189d020f1a7d1.png

Rome. Silver, 20-22mm, 4.53g. Bust of Herennius Etruscus, radiate, draped, right; Q HER ETR MES DECIVS NOB C. Herennius, in military attire, standing left, holding rod in right hand and transverse spear in left hand; PRINCIPI IVVENTVTIS (RIC IV, 147). Found in Britain.

• Like 5
  • Shock 1

1 hour ago, Kali said:

Mantle trading card that went for $12 mill,

Omg, why would some do that when, for that price, they could buy the world's best example of all the following -- and still have some left over: Kimon & Euainetos Dekadrachms, Alexander III & Athens Dekadrachms, Naxos Tetradrachm, EID MAR denarius, EID Mar aureus, Port of Ostia and Colosseum Sestertii, Constantine XI Stavraton, and a bunch of other great rarities....

No no no NO!!!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Curtis JJ said:

Omg, why would some do that when, for that price, they could buy the world's best example of all the following -- and still have some left over: Kimon & Euainetos Dekadrachms, Alexander III & Athens Dekadrachms, Naxos Tetradrachm, EID MAR denarius, EID Mar aureus, Port of Ostia and Colosseum Sestertii, Constantine XI Stavraton, and a bunch of other great rarities....

No no no NO!!!

And the 'some left over' would be enough to buy a house and never have to work again (or enable someone else to never have to work again).

Edited by John Conduitt
  • Smile 1

...well, i'd say whoever bid paid too much for that one...but his coins with him as Augustus run up around and over a grand...my school of thought is in sync with @Ryro's philosophy(but he is much better at it than i  :P) but i did get a nice denarius of him as Caesar too ^^...he's a very pivotal character in the Roman history, being 1st emperor killed in battle...

IMG_0563.JPG

IMG_0564.JPG

Edited by ominus1
  • Like 7