I think we need our own 'Post an Old Coin and and an Old Tune' thread

JeandAcre

Posted · Supporter

To continue your Mothers day theme, from the children of Faustina

Faustina Sr AR Denarius, RIC 361, RSC 101a, BMC 417, SEAR 4583. DIVA FAVSTINA, with elaborate hairstyle and draped bust right / AVGV-STA, Ceres standing left, long hair tied behind, raising right hand & holding long torch with left.
Rome mint, A.D. 141.  3,0 g - 15 mm

pM9Ga3PtcD2ZbDx8J42ozRM75wgC5L-Copy.jpg.84839697936c4396885721624e7910f0.jpg

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

Aaaah.  David Byrne, the pioneer and perfector of elevating Autism Spectrum to an art form.  YAY!!!  @Sulla80, if you really are the first one to have posted any of his stuff (and this one is as paradigmatic as you can get), you deserve a medal.

...And the coin is pretty great, too!  :<}

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, JeandAcre said:

Aaaah.  David Byrne, the pioneer and perfector of elevating Autism Spectrum to an art form.  YAY!!!  @Sulla80, if you really are the first one to have posted any of his stuff (and this one is as paradigmatic as you can get), you deserve a medal.

...And the coin is pretty great, too!  :<}

LOL - that song is about as David Byrne as it gets 😉 Surprising that he hasn't showed up as a Talking Head before this.  We did hear from Gabriel Mary Byrne a while ago.

Edited by Sulla80
  • Like 2
  • Laugh 1

Posted · Supporter

The captives are singing a song to try and keep their spirits up

Probus AE Antoninianus. Siscia, 279 AD.

IMP C M AVR PROBVS P F AVG, radiate bust left, wearing imperial mantle and holding eagle-tipped sceptre / VIRTVS PROBI AVG, trophy standing between two captives. RIC 820, Cohen 942.

22 mm, 4,87 g

5383454_1712334626.l-removebg-preview.png.354551fa9e745a5c5709ef989059e190.png

• Like 3

Oh, No, @expat, my machine (still with Windows 7) isn't getting the video.  But once again, I clicked on the arrow button, and found another bunch of other cool videos.  Got it tabbed; hope the page keeps the same links for a minute.

...Solid antoninianus.  Am I making it up, or does Probus have more than the usual number of martial reverses, even for the period?

• Like 1

Posted · Supporter

Along with the quantity of martial reverses @JeandAcre he also has a larger quantity of left facing portraits. A subject there appears to be no conclusive answer to. Sorry you are unable to hear the song.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Macedonian Kingdom, Reign of Philip V

221-179 BC
AE Double Unit (26.3mm, 10.175g, 270o)
O: Radiate head of Helios right.
R: Winged thunderbolt; ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ / ΦΙΛΙΠΠΟΥ, ΔΙ monogram above, AI monogram below left , P with pellet in center below right, all within oak wreath.
Mamroth Bronzemünzen 24b, pl. VII, 13; SNG Alpha Bank 1110 ff. var (monograms below); SNG Cop 1258 ff. var (same); AMNG III/2 25 var (same); Sear 6795v
ex Forvm Ancient Coins

Phillip_Helios~2.jpg

• Like 3
  • Clap 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks, @Phil Anthos, for favoring this thread with what amounted to the elephant in the room,as far as George Harrison was concerned.  Yes, it needed to happen.

Your Macedonian AE makes me nostalgic for the little Rhodes one I had as a kid.  As late as the 1st c. BCE, with Helios facing and an improbable incuse square on the reverse.  (2nd edit:)  And, Yep, a rose in the incuse.  Nice condition, with even olive patina.   It's easy to imagine your example being much more impressive in hand. 

...And, for recent precedent, here's a farthing token posted in this thread back to late April.

image.jpeg.5a031236b134a47072e600640c2ea2d7.jpeg

image.jpeg.93b8c6e29b78864c8d0796e3a281b65c.jpegAs well struck as these are, it seemed a likely guess that they were still hammered.  Charles II's official London issues weren't consistently milled until after 1666 (and at least on smaller modules, some of his late hammered AR isn't bad, either).

Enter this 1811 penny token, of 'Bristol and South Wales.'  Another municipal issue,  but verging beyond the more typical halfpenny Conder tokens of the 1790s.  Along with an early-19th-century update of the ship and castle motif (even the ship's rigging is more elaborate), this one gives as much emphasis to South Wales as it does to Bristol.

SQ1MNiKlyS62wS6ww9gZ40K9hIJjV72A2gtbwFsAJuGA5i3nVxy9BmxaZt_d5-bBrMRL9ZPPJHmaEQc1W22h0m9jakh3G6e0EF0xK34hq9p5C2ewWAIoCNQnnlxiUlwPPrGdjMXn3xsraJWte21I5bU

VIRTUTE ET INDUSTRIA (Strength and Industry).  (...If anyone with any references could help out with what's happening at 12 o'clock, you would summarily have my cordial gratitude.  --Anything available online? Please, Holler!)  With the main motif surrounded by a garter; likely a reference to the Order of the Garter, founded by Edward III in 1348. 

GYwmL2E0rC5cBRPUuyFTmu--FhjE57989b7g0hKr7b3HQ3ufqWZjxCJoMbLgJkkMqP1H5su9YD4D7BV-wEhqdEpVQIiTezPD1xGfT0T6zCDSVRS3H0cDE8xD1KeOeBw_F_lWp1VF5vo2gkoRvzLR8XI

Three plumes; the main crest of Edward the Black Prince, son of No. III.  (Oh, No, Edit #3:) With his motto, "Ich dien" ('I serve.')  A leading participant in the battles of Crecy (1346) and Poitiers (1356), and founding member of the Order.  ...Right, and Prince of Wales. 

Going back to this one being milled, it seemed like a good enough pretext for some Leo Kottke. 

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 5/13/2024 at 10:15 AM, expat said:

The captives are singing a song to try and keep their spirits up

Probus AE Antoninianus. Siscia, 279 AD.

IMP C M AVR PROBVS P F AVG, radiate bust left, wearing imperial mantle and holding eagle-tipped sceptre / VIRTVS PROBI AVG, trophy standing between two captives. RIC 820, Cohen 942.

22 mm, 4,87 g

5383454_1712334626.l-removebg-preview.png.354551fa9e745a5c5709ef989059e190.png

...Well, wait a minute, could you post who and what it is?  Maybe I could find it elsewhere.  (...In the hope that I was the only one this happened to in the first place.)

Promising you, the eclecticism of the tunes people come up with is really mind-expanding.  Right, I might be the biggest fan of my own --Um, Derivative-- thread.  No one here is arguing....

• Like 1

Huge Thanks, @expat

Wow.  The, can we just say, affinities between the lead vocalist's and Jim Morrison's voices never registered before.  And that video is Stompin' on some stuff!!!  :<}

Want some full disclosure?  Your initial description of the tune had me thinking of a chorus from some late-Tsarist-era opera.  Watching my head do a summary 180 was fun all by itself.

• Like 1

Thanks for the Leo Kottke @JeandAcre

perge2_0.jpg.5ecfc081a9c0d45f4244e253c88cdc4a.jpg

Pamphylia, Perge. Otacilia Severa Æ26
Obv: ΜΑΡ ⲰΤΑ ϹƐΟΥΗΡΑΝ ϹƐΒ / diademed and draped bust of Otacilia Severa, r., crescent at shoulders.
Rev: ΠƐΡΓΑΙΑϹ ΑΡΤƐΜΙΔΟϹ, ΑϹΥΛΟΥ / temple with two columns enclosing cult statue of Artemis Pergaia between star and crescent; in pediment, eagle.
RPC VIII, — (unassigned; ID 21051)

Here's a band my mother wouldn't let me see when I was in high school. "Don't you know what a cheap trick is?"

• Like 3
  • Laugh 1

Posted (edited)

Oh, nnnNo, now I like Cheap Trick more than I ever thought I would.  You guys are a corrupting influence!!!

(Instant edit:) And what's she doing eating the strawberry?

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 1

Two examples of Hataz (Aksum /Axum, c. late 6th c.), which just might have never been posted in the same place before.  Starting with the second acquisition, for the portrait rather than the legends.  Unlike Munro-Hay, Hahn provides transliterations of the original Ge'ez, along with translations.  All you need is the merest acquaintance with Ge'ez (and modern Amharic, and, why lie, Rasta) to get that little bit more traction from Hahn.

image.jpeg.7c0dede02e262fc484ab90c86f528cd4.jpeg

image.jpeg.4960f8b61a0c5e9bb156cf89223939f5.jpeg

Obv.  Hataz facing; legend transliterated 'ngs Htz' ('Negus Hataz,' with the conventional Ge'ez elision of vowels; cf. Hebrew and Arabic).

Rev.  Cross in a diamond, with arms terminating in crosslets (as in the AR Type 137), or their approximate equivalent.

...The reverse legend is beyond me; translated 'Mercy to the people.'

(Jensen/) Munro-Hay Type 141 (citing 137); Hahn (citing both types), nos. 502-7.

Some vintage Burning Spear.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

M. Sergius Silus

116-115 BC
AR Denarius (17mm, 3.76g)
O: Helmeted head of Roma right; ROMA and * behind, EX.S.C before.
R: Horseman galloping left, holding sword and severed head of Barbarian; Q in field, M SERGI below, SILVS in ex.
Crawford 286-1; Sydenham 534; RSC Sergia 1; BMC Italy 517
ex Francis J. Rath

_1Sergius200~2.jpg

Edited by Phil Anthos
  • Like 3
  • Clap 1

Posted (edited)

Sustained, commiserative chuckling ensues.  ...I could be making this up, and couldn't begin to cite Gallic coins to either side of the chronology, but somewhere I got the notion that the hair style on the severed head amounted to a Roman stereotype for Gauls.

(Instant edit:) ...Or are the wild locks below the head supposed to be blood issuing from the neck?

(Another one: Had to hear the tune again.  Say whatever you want, but after Gentle Giant, you won't hear anything like them again.)

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Smile 1

27 minutes ago, JeandAcre said:

Sustained, commiserative chuckling ensues.  ...I could be making this up, and couldn't begin to cite Gallic coins to either side of the chronology, but somewhere I got the notion that the hair style on the severed head amounted to a Roman stereotype for Gauls.

(Instant edit:) ...Or are the wild locks below the head supposed to be blood issuing from the neck?

(Another one: Had to hear the tune again.  Say whatever you want, but after Gentle Giant, you won't hear anything like them again.)

Amen. Five guys, 30 different instruments!

• Yes 1

Philipcotiaeum4.jpg.d67d6fe0bbcb977e031dfe3ef2795bae.jpg

Phrygia, Cotiaeum. Philip I AE26 Kyble. C. Julius Ponticus, Archiereus

Phrigia, Cotiaeum. Between 244 and 249
Obverse. M IOYLIOS P'ILIPPOS AYG
Reverse. EPI G IOYL PONTIKOY ARC'IER EWS KOTIAEWN
Kyble on stool being pulled by biga of lions. Polos / Tympanon
SNG AUL 3787(1). BMC 17 S174,78(2)

• Like 3
  • Clap 1

trapezopolis0.jpg.5cecb169c304c568d21a4f3a87315258.jpg

Caria, Trapezopolis. AE24. Demos/Aphrodite

Obv: ΔΗΜΟϹ ΤΡΑΠƐΖΟΠΟ (Ζ reversed) / Laureate head of the Demos (youthful), r.
Rev: ƐΠΙ ΑΡ ΑΙ ΑΠΟΛΛΩΝΙΟV / Aphrodite standing, facing, head, r., resting arm on short column, holding apple.
Ai. Apollonios (archon)
c. 150-200

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

@AncientOne, this thread is expanding my horizons left and right.  For one, it's finally starting to register why so many people are so engaged with Roman provincial issues ...along with the added interest of the later ones, like this.

And, Dang, I doubt I even knew Sniff 'n' the Tears did this.  Knew the name, and the tune; might never have put them together.  But during my first undergrad years (majoring in Philosophy and frankly lousy Mexican), this was getting plenty of airplay on American top 40 radio (before the genre effectively went extinct).  I'd completely forgotten how much I liked it then, even prearticulately.  (I was already gravitating to blues, blues-rock (you can include Hendrix) and reggae.  And the budget for lps, even used, was pretty minimal.)  ...Thanks forthe reminder of how good this is.

• Like 2