Post it and pick it!

Ryro

• Benefactor

The only one I have:

Syria, Seleucid Empire, Antiochos VIII Epiphanes (Grypon) Tetradrachm, 109-96 BCE Antioch Mint. Obv. Diademed head of Antiochos VIII right / Rev. Zeus Nikephoros seated left on high-backed throne, holding Nike on outstretched right hand and scepter in left; to outer left, E/P monogram above A [Antioch]; ΔI monogram below throne; BAΣΙΛΕΩΣ ANTIOXOY EΠIΦANOYΣ; all within laurel wreath. Seleucid Coins [SC] Pt. 2, 2309; Seleucid Coins Online [same] (see http://numismatics.org/sco/id/sc.1.2309 ); Seaby 7145 (ill.) [Sear, David, Greek Coins & their Values, Vol. II: Asia & Africa (Seaby 1979)]; Hoover HGC 9, 1200 [Hoover, Oliver, Handbook of Syrian Coins, Royal and Civic Issues, Fourth to First Centuries BC, The Handbook of Greek Coinage Series, Volume 9 (2009)]; Newell SMA 405 [Newell, E.T., The Seleucid Mint of Antioch (1918)], SNG Israel 2554-55 [Spaer, A.  &  A. Houghton, Sylloge Nummorum Graecorum, Israel I, The Arnold Spaer Collection of Seleucid Coins (London, 1998)]; BMC 4 Seleucid Syria 2 (p. 98) (ill. Pl. XXVI, No. 3) [erroneously attributed to Antiochos XI] [Gardner, P., A Catalog of the Greek Coins in the British Museum, Vol. 4, The Seleucid Kings of Syria (London, 1878)].  27 mm., 16.2 g. 

image.png.f9e42177169653f51f671e11237f1f78.png

Next, Zeus on the obverse of an ancient silver coin.

• Like 8
  • Cookie 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

• Benefactor
9 hours ago, DonnaML said:

The only one I have:

Syria, Seleucid Empire, Antiochos VIII Epiphanes (Grypon) Tetradrachm, 109-96 BCE Antioch Mint. Obv. Diademed head of Antiochos VIII right / Rev. Zeus Nikephoros seated left on high-backed throne, holding Nike on outstretched right hand and scepter in left; to outer left, E/P monogram above A [Antioch]; ΔI monogram below throne; BAΣΙΛΕΩΣ ANTIOXOY EΠIΦANOYΣ; all within laurel wreath. Seleucid Coins [SC] Pt. 2, 2309; Seleucid Coins Online [same] (see http://numismatics.org/sco/id/sc.1.2309 ); Seaby 7145 (ill.) [Sear, David, Greek Coins & their Values, Vol. II: Asia & Africa (Seaby 1979)]; Hoover HGC 9, 1200 [Hoover, Oliver, Handbook of Syrian Coins, Royal and Civic Issues, Fourth to First Centuries BC, The Handbook of Greek Coinage Series, Volume 9 (2009)]; Newell SMA 405 [Newell, E.T., The Seleucid Mint of Antioch (1918)], SNG Israel 2554-55 [Spaer, A.  &  A. Houghton, Sylloge Nummorum Graecorum, Israel I, The Arnold Spaer Collection of Seleucid Coins (London, 1998)]; BMC 4 Seleucid Syria 2 (p. 98) (ill. Pl. XXVI, No. 3) [erroneously attributed to Antiochos XI] [Gardner, P., A Catalog of the Greek Coins in the British Museum, Vol. 4, The Seleucid Kings of Syria (London, 1878)].  27 mm., 16.2 g. 

image.png.f9e42177169653f51f671e11237f1f78.png

Next, Zeus on the obverse of an ancient silver coin.

I will settle for Jupiter or Zeus, on either side!

• Like 2

I don't have many Greek coins - the only Zeus I have is on a modern Cypriot coin 🤣

Jupiter I have, on reverses, but those are mostly billon, which is pushing the 'silver' definition a bit too. This is at least silver.

Gargilius, Oguinius and Vergilius Denarius, 86BC
image.png.7efca1af51f403212a18a65b5b940742.png
Rome. Silver, 18mm, 3.40g. Laureate head of young Jupiter (or Apollo Vejovis) wearing oak-wreath right, thunderbolt below. Jupiter in quadriga right, holding reins and hurling thunderbolt; letter above (control mark); GAR (above); OCVL. VER. (ligate) (RRC 350/1a; CRR 721). Found in Cambridgeshire.

Next: thunderbolt.

• Like 7

Just now, Phil Davis said:

Next, another Octavian, before he became Augustus in 27 BC.

795cc4f8e6ed4e839a50bc19b8dc316d.jpg

[JULIUS CAESAR] and OCTAVIAN – Halved dupondius, Vienna (Gaul), ca. 36 BCE

[•IM]P• [DIVI•IVL•CAE]SAR•DIVI•F bare headed portraits [of Julius Caesar to left] and Octavian to right
C•[I•V] Prow of galley to right, surmounted by superstructure and mast (CIV for Colonia Ivlia Viennensis)

31,5 mm – 9,96 gr
Ref : RPC # 517

Next : follow up with Octavian

Q

• Like 8

IMG_0296(1)(1).PNG.f125cf18ac1fd576d0ac84ea7a26069c.PNG

Augustus with Divus Julius Caesar (27 BC-14 AD) MACEDON. Thessalonica. Obv: ΘEOΣ. Wreathed head of Julius Caesar right; uncertain c/m on neck. Rev: ΘEΣΣAΛONIKEΩN. Bare head of Augustus right; Δ below. RPC I 1554. Fine. 12.3 g.21 mm. Former: Numismatik Naumann The D has been interpreted as either a denomination mark (four assaria) or, more likely, a date - year four of the Actian era (28/7 BC). The ligate NK monogram has been generally accepted as a reference to Nero (Nerwn Kaisar). This is problematic considering that Thessalonica had abundant coinages issued under Claudius and Nero, such that countermarking these quite older coins would be unlikely. Touratsoglou (p. 105) follows Kraay's suggestion that the NK is an abbreviation for Nike (NiKh), and was applied to the coins during celebrations of the city's 50th anniversary of its grant of liberty by the Romans. All but two of the known specimens of this countermark occur on the coins of this first issue of Thessalonica, and the wear on the countermarks is nearly identical to that of the coins, suggesting that the countermarks could not have been applied very long after the coins entered circulation. 

Next: interesting countermark

• Like 8

Here is a countermark that I was not able to identify. 

image.png.2478b2cafa0fa1ad890d2179a27ad6e7.png

21 mm, 10,90 g Pamphylia, Aspendos. AR stater. Circa 415/10-400 BC.
Two wrestlers grappling within a dotted border / Slinger discharging sling right, triskeles in right field, ethnic EΣTEE to left, all within incuse square. Countermarked.
Tekin Series B; SNG Aul. 4525; SNG BN 45ff.

Next - triskeles

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Winged ... petasus also 

image.png.c6a6c8a7ec195e4bd465719575232072.png

29 mm, 16,32 g.
Roman Republic. Anonymous. Æ sextans. Rome. 215-212 BC.
Head of Mercury right, wearing winged petasus; •• (mark of value) above / Prow of galley right; •• (mark of value) below.
Crawford 41/9; Sydenham 107; BMCRR 72.

Next - RR bronze

• Like 7

Constantine I, "the Great", AD 307/310-337. Æ Follis (19mm, 3.51g, 1h). Siscia mint, AD 319. Obv: CONSTANTINVS AVG; Helmeted and cuirassed bust of Constantine to left, holding spear over his right shoulder and decorated shield on his left. Rev: VICT•LAETAE PRINC PERP // •ΔSIS•; Two victories holding shield inscribed VOT/PR over altar inscribed S. Ref: RIC 84. Some deposits, otherwise, Good Very Fine. From the collection of Dipl.-Ing. Adrian Lang. Ex Leu (18 Jul 2022), Lot 5378. 

image.jpeg.ca244b99aeb541c4695fd3e39e77e018.jpeg

Next: Another helmet.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

This Hera (surprisingly one of the harder of the 12 Olympians to acquire on coin) from Argos, as in Jason, was what looked like a rock when I got it in a lot. I wasn't even sure there was a coin there. I used electrolysis and walah!

IMG_0392.PNG.af67a2e7a65e125a0a8d798810d69b97.PNG

But sure enough patience and persistence pay off: Argolis, Argos Æ Dichalkon. Circa 280270/60 BCE Head of Hera right, wearing stephane inscribed APΓE/Athena Promachos left. BCD Peloponnesos1100-4; 3.90g, 18mm 6h. Very Fine

Next: lovely lady portrait

• Like 8