Julia Maesa - FECVNDITAS

maridvnvm

I am only getting round to processing some recent purchases. I try and do them when they arrive but at the moment I am waiting for a few to arrive and processing them in batches. I was browsing the stock of @YOTHR and spotted this one. I am a sucker for these Eastern issues.

Julia Maesa denarius

Obv:– IVLIA MAESA AVG Draped bust of Julia Maesa to right, her hair bound in a bun at the back
Rev:– FECVNDITAS, Fecunditas seated left, holding branch and scepter; child to left and right.
Minted in Antioch. A.D. 218-220
Reference– RIC 249, note; BMC p. 540, * note; RSC 7a.

2.74g, 20.20mm, 0o

Slight flat strike in the centres.

RI_076f_img.JPG

Anyone else have any Eastern issues of Julia Maesa?

• Like 8

I don't have an Eastern Maesa but I have a Fecunditas Rome denarius. This would have been a fantastic coin -  minimum wear level, excellent dies, good strike. But most likely the previous owner had the coins stored in a very bad holder? or something similar. Never seen silver coins damaged in this pattern. This was not a singular event - there were other coins from this period in 2-3 auctions and I bought others. Presumably from the same collection. 

image.png.47b70c4b8051bfa4824892addef4ada0.png

• Like 6

Silver Coin (AR Denarius) minted for JULIA MAESA, grandmother of ELAGABALUS and SEVERUS ALEXANDER, between 222 - 225 A.D. Obv. IVLIA.MAESA.AVG.: dr. bust r. Rev. SAECVLI.FELICITAS.: Felicitas stg. l., sacrificing over altar. RCS #2184. RSCIII #45. RICIV #271. DVM #12.

Silver Coin (AR Denarius) minted for JULIA MAESA, grandmother of ELAGABALUS and SEVERUS ALEXANDER, between 222 - 225 A.D. Obv. IVLIA.MAESA.AVG.: dr. bust r. Rev. SAECVLI.FELICITAS.: Felicitas stg. l., sacrificing over altar. RCS #2184. RSCIII #45b. RICIV #272. DVM #12

1st coin, she has a differant Hairdo and looks young, 2nd coin she looks older, which coin is from Rome and which coin is from an eastern mint?

DFGM-243 OBV.jpg

DFGM-243 REV.jpg

DFGMA-246 OBV.jpg

DFGMA-246 REV.jpg

• Like 5