Sunday night free for all

seth77

Here is a recent addition to my Faustina Junior coins. Still in the mail from UK (London Coins). Nothing very special about this one. Just like the light-color patina, and I don't have a sestertius version with this hairstyle (Beckmann Type 10 - late design).  🙂

zzz05-Fau.jpg

Faustina Junior (Augusta, 147-175). Æ Sestertius (31mm, 23.36g, 6h).
Obv: Draped bust r.
Rev: Venus seated l., holding Victory and sceptre.
RIC III 1686 (Aurelius).

Edited by happy_collector
  • Like 10
  • Smile 1

There were two series with officina marks issued in 248: one with Greek officina numbers (no animals) and the SAECVLARES AVGG ones with animals and Roman numerals.

[IMG]
Philip I, AD 244-249.
Roman AR Antoninianus, 23mm, 3.93 g, 7h.
Rome mint, 5th officina, 8th emission, AD 248.
Obv: IMP PHILIPPVS AVG, radiate, draped, and cuirassed bust right.
Rev: VIRTVS AVGG, Philip I and II on horseback galloping right; Є below.
Refs: RIC IV 10; RSC 241a; RCV 8976; Hunter 43.

• Like 11

Here is a new addition, purchased on eBay. It was supposed to be an 1840 East India Company rupee, but the seller accidentally sent this instead. We messaged back and forth about it, and we were both fine with leaving it as is and calling it even.

portu_rupee.jpg.36f2584010be6a4ef72a89906ac68ef9.jpg

• Like 12

I've not purchased a coin in about 6 months and I'm getting quite angsty about it. However, I need more than 4 beers to jump into a purchase rashly. 🤣

Roman Empire AR denarius 98-117 Trajan, Via Traiana

This was my last intoxicated purchase. I had no problems with the price, but needed some Dutch courage to order something all the way from Hungary.

• Like 15

Here's an underappreciated coin I haven't posted here before. I like it because it's one of the coins from Tomis with a denomination written right on it: B for 2 assaria.

[IMG]
Septimius Severus, AD 193-211.
Roman provincial diassarion, AE 21.2 mm, 6.30 g, 7 h.
Moesia Inferior, Tomis.
Obv: ΑY Κ Λ CΕ CΕΥΗΡΟC Π, laureate head, right.
Rev: ΜΗΤΡ ΠΟΝ ΤΟΜЄΩC, Asklepios standing facing, head left, holding serpent-entwined staff and with left hand on hip, B in left field.
Refs: AMNG 2781-85 var.; BMC 3.56,18 var.; Varbanov 4826 var.; Sear 2125 var.

• Like 12

On another thread I bore witness to my love of the sestertii of Trajan. However I also enjoy his denarii as well. 

Ar Denarius of Trajan 108-109 AD Obv Bust right laureate Aegis on far shoulder Rv. Dacia in attitude of mourning seated left on a pile of arms RIC 98 var(aegis) Woytek 283e 3.62 grms 18 mm Photo by W. Hansentrajand37.jpeg.31c1c80bd1d04066643eaed9ba867c6b.jpegThis coin is part of the massive series honoring Trajan's victory over the Dacians and the subsequent incorporation of that territory into the Roman Empire. This coin falls into Woytek's Group 10 Cluster 3. Here this coin is issued alongside denarii featuring Roma. Felicitas and Aequitas. As I do believe that these coins need to be studied in groups, the message being conveyed in this cluster is that Trajan by his conquest of Dacia is bringing happiness and equality to the Roman people.

• Like 16

14 minutes ago, kapphnwn said:

On another thread I bore witness to my love of the sestertii of Trajan. However I also enjoy his denarii as well. 

Ar Denarius of Trajan 108-109 AD Obv Bust right laureate Aegis on far shoulder Rv. Dacia in attitude of mourning seated left on a pile of arms RIC 98 var(aegis) Woytek 283e 3.62 grms 18 mm Photo by W. Hansentrajand37.jpeg.31c1c80bd1d04066643eaed9ba867c6b.jpegThis coin is part of the massive series honoring Trajan's victory over the Dacians and the subsequent incorporation of that territory into the Roman Empire. This coin falls into Woytek's Group 10 Cluster 3. Here this coin is issued alongside denarii featuring Roma. Felicitas and Aequitas. As I do believe that these coins need to be studied in groups, the message being conveyed in this cluster is that Trajan by his conquest of Dacia is bringing happiness and equality to the Roman people.

And Trajan is wearing an aegis.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Dafydd said:

GREAT BRITAIN. Shilling, 1693. London Mint. William & Mary. 

Coins of these two are difficult to come by in good condition. Here's a tin farthing, as first produced in 1684 for Charles II, with a central copper plug to prevent counterfeiting. They were meant to give the ailing Cornish tin industry a boost, but little tin was used and the coins corroded quickly.

William III and Mary II Farthing, 1690image.png.ba611255f493d702e093260b527a25e3.pngTower. Tin with copper plug, 22mm, 5.96g. Large conjoined cuirassed busts right; GVLIELMVS ET MARIA. Seated figure of Britannia facing left, spear in left hand, olive branch in right, shield with Union flag resting at left, legend around, date in exergue; BRITAN NIA. (S 3451).

Edited by John Conduitt
  • Like 15

44 minutes ago, kapphnwn said:

That gives me the chance to post this for the first time. I don't know what the trophy was for, but he's GER (conqueror of Germany) and DAC (conqueror of Dacia).

Trajan Denarius, 103-111image.png.5fde1d3fca52ce6dfead2b669c9af66b.pngRome. Silver, 19mm, 3.10g. Laureate bust right, slight drapery; IMP TRAIANO AVG GER DAC PM TRP COS V P P. Trophy of arms (two shields, two spears and sword set on a stump); SPQR OPTIMO PRINCIPI (RIC II, 226). From the Westbury Sub Mendip (Somerset) Hoard 2016, Portable Antiquities Scheme: SOM-F1847A.

• Like 13

On 8/14/2022 at 4:07 PM, ewomack said:

Since it's a "free for all," I'm going to get out some of the rougher stuff that probably wouldn't fit anywhere else. 😁

image.png.01b52fb0117ccdee3cd9e42394787025.png
France ARCHBISHOPRIC OF VIENNE - ANONYMOUS AR Denier, 11th - 12th Centuries; Obv: .+. S. M. VIENNA. (Saint Maurice of Vienne), profile of Saint Maurice, facing left; Rev: MAXIMA. GALL

Mine was in Don Zauche's half price box and I thought I needed  a few representative later coins.  Our coins differ somewhat in terms of strike, flan, wear and surface but neither would interest 95% of collectors (which is fine with me). 

v00070bb2861.jpg

• Like 13

I just started a book, Diocletian and the Roman Recovery, by Stephen Williams, 1997.  It prompted me to purchase this follis of Diocletian just a few minutes ago from Odysseus in France - sort of an impulse buy to go along with my book. Struck c.  AD 300-301 at Antioch , 11.4 gms.

diocletien-follis-6.jpg.eb7367ff38df4fdf3cf5f287595e8edd.jpg

• Like 14
  • Heart Eyes 3

7 hours ago, Octavius said:

I just started a book, Diocletian and the Roman Recovery, by Stephen Williams, 1997.  It prompted me to purchase this follis of Diocletian just a few minutes ago from Odysseus in France - sort of an impulse buy to go along with my book. Struck c.  AD 300-301 at Antioch , 11.4 gms.

diocletien-follis-6.jpg.eb7367ff38df4fdf3cf5f287595e8edd.jpg

Stunning coin!!

I'm guilty of the same impulse - when I read something historical I find fascinating, I like to see what coins/artifacts are available from that time. Sort of connects you to the past in a very tangible way.

• Like 4
  • Yes 1

• 2 weeks later...

We are all 4 of us at home with a virus so instead of beer, I am having aronia juice that my wife bought -- "it's good for you it has vitamins" -- well it better have some super-vitamins because the taste leaves some to be desired.

Here are some coins:

probus.jpg.6cd54d33ff7dbc5bc79e7f907305e5d7.jpg

philipiv.jpg.3a555d88874022d8a5a953e80cb09c2b.jpg

The Probus ant is one of the last purchases from the US that did arrive, the denier tournois is either Philippe IV or Philippe V. With the fleuron cruciforme privy mark, the annulated T (in TVRONVS) and the triangle-ornamented L in (PHILIPPVS), Duplessy assigns this general type to Philippe IV, the late series deniers tournois 1307-1310, while Ciani assigns it to Philippe V -- perhaps minted with the gros tournois emission of March 1st 1318 -- ex CGB from Tresor de Puylaurens (Tarn).

• Like 9