Sunday night free for all

seth77

A pleasant surprise. This little coin has been rattling around in my "miscellaneous" box for several years, such that I no longer have any idea where it came from. It was probably in a multiple lot of "cleaners" from many years ago. After several attempts to place it over the years, it finally dawned on my today that -SYI was Chios.

Crusaders. Chios. Martin and Benedict II Zaccaria, AD 1314-1319. AR Keration (14mm, 0.49g, 7h). Obv: +M7B:ZAChARIE; Cross potencée. Rev: +CIVITAS : SYI; Castle with three towers.  Ref: Schlumberger p. 414 and pl. XIII, 30; CCS 152; Metcalf, Crusades, p. 123. About Fine, clipped (nominal weight 0.8g). 

image.jpeg.6e011db0c4e40a8ea8fb99dab9377542.jpeg

• Like 13

Electorate of Saxony (Albertinian Line) German States Conventionsthaler

Frederick Christian 1763 Circulation coin only year of issue, struck in Dresden, mintage unknown.

.833 Silver, 28.8 g, 43 mm

1 Conventionsthaler = 4/3 Saxon Thaler = 1/10 Cologne Mark.

20211128_101052__2_-removebg-preview.png

20211128_101118__2_-removebg-preview.png

• Like 10

27 minutes ago, Edessa said:

A pleasant surprise. This little coin has been rattling around in my "miscellaneous" box for several years, such that I no longer have any idea where it came from. It was probably in a multiple lot of "cleaners" from many years ago. After several attempts to place it over the years, it finally dawned on my today that -SYI was Chios.

Crusaders. Chios. Martin and Benedict II Zaccaria, AD 1314-1319. AR Keration (14mm, 0.49g, 7h). Obv: +M7B:ZAChARIE; Cross potencée. Rev: +CIVITAS : SYI; Castle with three towers.  Ref: Schlumberger p. 414 and pl. XIII, 30; CCS 152; Metcalf, Crusades, p. 123. About Fine, clipped (nominal weight 0.8g). 

image.jpeg.6e011db0c4e40a8ea8fb99dab9377542.jpeg

This is an extraordinary find. The type was briefly struck at the end of the joint rule by Benedict and Martin Zaccaria ca. 1318-19 (A. Mazarakis - Chios mint of the Zaccaria... p. 321). Lunardi calls it a 'mezzo grosso' S4 p. 182. Baker barely just mentions them p. 1348.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Seth, thanks for the notes. I have spent an inordinate amount of time trying to assign this coin to Spain, Italy, Portugal and etc. I have even looked through Metcalf, Malloy and Schlumberger before, but obviously not in enough detail. Sometimes it pays to be mule-headed and persistent!

Schlumberger says, "The type of the three-towered castle, which was to be the coat of arms of Zaccaria de Castro or di Castello, perpetuated with a slight modification on almost all the coins of Chios and become the coat of arms of this island under the domination of the Mahone." (Google Translate)

• Like 1

From ca. 1347 Chios was administered by a 'maona' -- a corporation of shareholders who administered the island, at first including the Genoese authorities, then from ca. 1350 the maona was led by the Giustiniani family. After 1350 many shareholders of the maona were actual inhabitants of the island and Italian colonists living there so not long after the establishment of this system, the Genoese authorities had no actual say in the affairs of the maona, they just received their owed tribute (until the 1360s, possibly 1363). After that the maona came under nominal Constantinopolitan vassalage and from the 15th century Ottoman vassalage.

• Like 2

Another Sunday well spent. Hung out outside with the kids in the sun (we will surely miss the warm weather, I was hoping for an Indian summer but alas thats not in the cards apparently) and then did work on the house until 8pm fixing the waterproofing on our northern wall that had problems last winter and spring. Then did our recycling, then went out to get beer and pampers.

At home in my study having a beer I added this to my files:

2794027_1650816800.jpg.d4f9c8efbfa2ccc70005807332304971.jpg

KINGS of CAPPADOCIA
ARIARATHES V EUSEBES (163-130BC)
AR18mm 4.05g silver drachm, minted at Eusebia at Argaios, 131-130BC.
anepigraphic, diademed head to right
BAΣIΛEΩΣ/ AΡIAΡAΘOΥ// EΥΣEBOΥΣ/ ΓΛ in eve; Athena standing left, holding Nike in right hand, spear and shield set on ground in left; monogram in front; A to left, Δ to right.
Simionetta 1961 12a (Ariarathes IV); Morkholm NC 1962 pp. 408-9, NC 1969 pp. 26-7 (Ariarathes V)

A vast series of silver coinage was minted in the 2nd century BC in Cappadocia. This issue is sometimes attributed to Ariarathes IV (Simionetta) or Ariarathes V (Morkholm). If Ariarathes V, the date corresponds to the king's 33rd regnal year, 131-130. This is by far the largest issue, dated in the last year of Ariarathes V's reign, so Morkholm proposes two possibilities:

1. financing for an army to join the Roman war against Aristonikos of Pergamon or
2. the issue was 'immobilized' under Nysa as regent for a few years and coined with Ariarathes V's last regnal year until ca. 127BC.

More on the controversy of attributing this coinage here.

Similar specimen here.

Its a coin bought in June but I just got around to attribute and add to my database. One of the very unlikely purchases, mostly because I could have it delivered for 22EUR total. It now sits in my files next to an AE of Amyntas III and a Homer AE of Smyrna. Shout out to @Sulla80 for his wonderful website.

Edited by seth77
  • Like 12

Since this thread is also for unusual items, here is one:

So-called stamp money (actually a stamp token).

FR_token_011.jpg.ff938954e744916f91c273ba3e5bbdd3.jpg

circa 1921

Obv: CASES - LEATHER GOODS C. WAGNER - FREIBURG i.BR. - ROTTECKPLATZ 5

Rev: 10 Pfennig stamp from 1921

Material: brass, cellophane and paper, 34mm

Edited by shanxi
  • Like 8

@shanxi...Wow, not seen these before thanks for sharing...

Can't stop myself picking up this coin at the moment so thought I'd post it...20220814_195019.jpg.3748490415ec2ade3e472f662e03ae56.jpg20220814_195002.jpg.0a78bf77c957b7c05dd2d888f6415ee2.jpg

Caracalla Æ 30mm of Amasia, Pontus. Dated CY 209 = AD 207. 30mm (13.87 gm)
Ob...AY KAI M AYP ANTΩNINOC, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust to right (seen from behind).
Rev.. AΔP CεY ANT AMACIAC [M]Hε ΩΠ ΠO, Caracalla and Geta standing vis-à-vis, clasping right hands; ET CΘ (date) in lower field. SNG von Aulock 35 var. (legends); Rec Gen 77 var. (star in reverse field). Roma Numismatics Limited, E-sale 78, lot 852 (same dies). Rare. VF.

Edited by Spaniard
  • Like 10
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Confused 1

Hi @Edessa I think that your token is rather ancient than medieval, perhaps Cybele riding on lion's back and holding tympanum?

Here is something most people wouldn't bother giving a second glance:

s-l1600.jpg.1e3749693b519784b10cf5157e682e35.jpg

It's a Cyzicus issued copper of the most common coinage of the 330s and early 340s: the GLORIA EXERCITVS single standard between two soldiers. This one specimen though has some distinct features that make it rare or very rare:

1. it's issued for Constantine II as Augustus and has the emperor wearing laurel with the obverse legend DN CONSTANTINVS PF AVG, which would suggest a dating in the late 337 (laurel) early 338 (obverse legend style)

2. it's not the first issue for the new Augusti after the death of Constantine the Great but it's before they all start wearing the ornate 'rosette diadem' while the legends are likely new in this series

3. this is an obscure issue, with reverse GLORIA EXERCITVS* struck briefly, recorded in RIC only for Constans (RIC VIII 29) -- so no Constantius II nor Constantine II -- struck from 3 officinae

4. it does not appear in Nummus Bible Database -- although there is there a similar singular coin for Constantine II with GLORIA EXERCITVS* but different officina and what I think it's an earlier head-dress for the 3 Augusti - the ladder-shaped diadem, that is also present on the very last coinage for Constantine the Great of the GLORIA EXERCITVS reverse

Cyzicus is an eastern mint, so here we are sometime around the late 337 or early 338 with a fleeting issue marked GLORIA EXERCITVS* that has recorded so far a number of specs for Constans (RIC VIII 29) who presumably received the 'middle empire' -- Italy, Raetia, the Danubian provinces, Africa and then Thracia and Illyricum -- and at least 2 specs for Constantine II who ruled the West but 0 specs for Constantius II who ruled the East.

Edited by seth77
  • Like 11
  • Cool Think 1

Just thought I'd share something I haven't shared before! I picked up this antoninianus of Tacitus from CNG at the NYINC show. While it isn't an extraordinary coin by any means, I thought it was sharply struck and had decent silvering. 

Tacitus (AD 275-276)

69949793_Tacitusantoninianus.jpg.ac3e69a4ac5268e3273fd871b3a35482.jpg

AR Antoninianus (23mm, 4.24 g, 6h). Rome mint, 1st officina. 2nd emission, November-December AD 275. IMP C M CL TACITVS AVG, radiate, draped, and cuirassed bust right / PROVIDENTIA AVG, Providentia standing left, holding baton over globe set on ground at feet to left and cornucopia; XXIA. RIC V 92.

• Like 15
  • Popcorn 1

Like @expatI too have a retained lamination but it is on an ancient coin. 

Maroneia Ar Tetradrachm 168-48/45 BC Obv. Head of Dionysos wreathed in ivy. Rv Dionysos standing left holding grapes and spears HGC 1556 15.98 grms 34 mm Photo by W. Hansen

maroneia11.jpg.9f9a2377b703cb2aa9488d410026da5c.jpg

The retained lamination can be seen here maroneia11.jpg.233ce1bab00353177b9ab3c58291e96b.jpg

The two cracks seen on the reverse are joined along the edge. 

• Like 9
  • Smile 1

5 hours ago, seth77 said:

Hi @Edessa I think that your token is rather ancient than medieval, perhaps Cybele riding on lion's back and holding tympanum?

You are right. The imagery might make more sense as ancient. But I can't recall seeing another, so it's an interesting item that I am glad to have picked up. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Edessa said:

You are right. The imagery might make more sense as ancient. But I can't recall seeing another, so it's an interesting item that I am glad to have picked up. 

I would suspect a token for local celebrations and festivals dedicated to Cybele, perhaps for Megalesia or something similar from other places in the Empire.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ewomack said:

1139_to_1339_ItalyGenoa_Gross_01.png.ee2b87844b248d0880ba614440c92363.png1139_to_1339_ItalyGenoa_Gross_02.png.f891ac622de6e8988d4b58c1b130680d.png
Italy, Republic of Genoa, 1139 - 1339 AR Gross ND
Obv: +.IA.NV.A. Castle view
Rev: CVNRADIREX, Maltese type cross with six diamonds around.
Ref: Biaggi 895

Your specimen is either a denaro at around 17/18mm 0.8g or a grosso da 4 denari at ca. 20mm and 1.2g. I think it is a denaro, if so it's Baldassarri group III subgroup a, dating to around 1210 to 1220.

Edited by seth77
  • Like 3

Another week another Sunday.

Here is an antoninian of Gallienus from Mediolanum in 266. These are not rare but a good full flan spec with all the devices there is not something common either for these inflation monies.

gall.jpg.8ef9f014ef2cb9161159bebe43b94585.jpg

Edited by seth77
  • Like 12

These two foxy ladies are looking for some action... they even said they have a surprise to sure you😘

3240408_1662447389.l-removebg-preview.png.4ccd3cea8e95cb156287dbf61b62d3e7.png

GENS CASSIA. Denarius. (Ar. 19mm, 3.6 g). 78 BC Rome. Anv: Head of Libero Bacchus on the right crowned with lyres, behind Tyrso. Rev: Liberea's diadem head on left, behind legend: L CASSI Q F. F.

• Like 7
  • Smile 1
  • Smile 1
  • Laugh 1

ClodiusTurrinus.png.996a4142d05ae3b9e6473eec9f60b85b.png
P. Clodius Turrinus Rome mint, 42 BC; Laureate head of Apollo right; lyre to left / Diana Lucifera standing facing, head right, bow and quiver on her shoulder, holding lighted torch in each hand; M • F at left, P • CLODIVS at right 3.5 g, 19 mm Crawford 494/23; Syd 1117

• Like 9

This is one of those variations that is very easily overlooked. Diadumenian was raised to the rank of Augustus by his father in Antioch in May 218. Antioch was the preferred hq of Macrinus and during his reign, the local mint struck a very large issue of copper 'units' of the regular SC - ΔЄ wreath type, naming Macrinus Augustus and Diadumenian with no title or as Caesar. But after news of the revolt gathering steam in Emesa, Macrinus names his son Augustus and the coinage quickly shifts to a last ditch effort by Macrinus to gain support against Elagabal. The mint thus starts a new issue naming Diadumenian Augusts, an issue which was rushed to be struck as soon as possible, leaving Diadumenian's effigy bare-headed while adding the Imperial title in the obverse legend as CЄ(bastos). The coinage lasted less than a month but it must have been quite plentiful (probably following the trend that was already in motion for this denomination in the 210s). The battle of Antioch and the subsequent flee from the city after June 8 218 put an end to this fleeting issue and later that month both Macrinus and Diadumenian were executed and Elagabal recognized as Augustus.

dia.jpg.c97982ad9665b3e6c25d32cf4183e302.jpg

Diadumenian as Augustus (218)
AE20x19mm 4.85g orichalcum unit (assarion?), minted at Antioch, ca. May-June 218.
KAI M O ΔIA ANTΩNINOC CЄ; bare-headed and cuirassed bust r.
Large S C; above, Δ; below, Є; all within laurel wreath; above star.
McAlee 745c

A similar spec here. Diadumenian is often shown in military attire although he was at the time 9 or 10 years old.

• Like 6