The everyday man's souvenir

Paddy54

Numismatic's has so much to offer us... can you just imagine back in the day being able to be able to afford a vacation or a visit to an expo? Esspecially an expo that newly developed items are now going to make life better.

Then think about the value of just one cent???  I can recall my father who was born in 1915 ....working at 15 to help support the family...and actually quitting high school to accept a job that ended up a 47 year career. 

So even in the 1930's a cent was a lot of money...considering that most made a few dollars a week....but again money went further.  

Elongated coins have been the average guys souvenir....it was doable after spending the cost to entry a worlds expo or fair. Yes there were plenty of other items...to buy as a remembrance of a day filled with new technologies and goods. However again how much could a working guy or gal afford? 

Well perhasp 1 cent smashed into a small souvenir to have and remember such a spectacular event. Please share your elongated specimen's  in this thread and share any information on the specimen you choose to post. Here's a few of mine that I been fortunate to have found.

I'll start with this one ...it's one of my favorite as it's pressed on both sides. It was made in Philadelphia Pa. For the 150 celabration of the declaration of independence. 

What's really neat is you can actually see the N of cents in the bell. As well wheat stalks ,and other lettering from the Lincoln cent that was the host coin. 

Just imagine how proud it must of been to be able to afford this smashed penny such a wonderful memories of celebration ones freedom.

20220803_093730.jpg

20220803_093649.jpg

• Like 15

That's great the way 'cent' runs across the bell, and yet the details are very clear.

I believe this is one of the first elongated coins... I have no idea how much a nickel could buy in 1893!

World's Columbian Exposition Elongated 1889 Liberty Head Nickel, 1893

image.png.b1c8b5d1829a364e7e8c772d2b7ce936.pngChicago, Illinois. Copper-nickel, 5g. COLUMBIAN 1893 EXPOSITION (Martin-Dow ILL-WCE 1c). Under coin: Philadelphia. Large V in centre, representing Roman 5, with wreath; UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, E PLURIBUS UNUM, ·CENTS·. Head of Liberty with 13 stars around the head, representing the first 13 colonies/states; LIBERTY (KM 112).

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

My next specimen is of the 1901 Expo in Buffalo NY. This particular specimen was gifted to Ron Pope about 6 months before his passing. I really loved this one...but Ron became a great friend while I was recovering from surgery.  I not able to handle pain killers I am allergic to opioid drugs. Ron Mr. Buffalo nickel himself ...well known in the states as the expert on the Buffalo nickel. Ron was a cherry picker too...like myself...many a night while recovering from my total hip replacement we private message each other talking coins...and helping me to forget the pain. Gifting this to him was the least I could do... as he spent many sleepless nights chatting with me...until sleep took over. 

Now I was fortunate enough to find another one! About 9 months after Ron's passing...this one also struck on an Indian Head cent was in uncirculated  condition.

I sort of felt that Ron gave me the guidance to find it...and I'm very proud to share it as well as this text about a nice coin....and even nicer friend. 

Thanks Ron for everything....you truly made a difference when I needed it.

Such a small tribute to a real hero and friend. 

20220803_093534.jpg

20220809_193752.jpg

Edited by Paddy54
  • Like 11

We had two Roosevelt's as presidents both Teddy and Franklin D were my favorite Presidents.  Teddy for his love of nature and appreciation of the true beauty of this country. Franklin for his leadership durring WWll the greatest generation of all time! This 1936 Roosevelt elongated is on a Lincoln cent as host, and has toned beautiful over the years.

20220803_094046.jpg

• Like 6

2 hours ago, John Conduitt said:

That's great the way 'cent' runs across the bell, and yet the details are very clear.

I believe this is one of the first elongated coins... I have no idea how much a nickel could buy in 1893!

World's Columbian Exposition Elongated 1889 Liberty Head Nickel, 1893

image.png.b1c8b5d1829a364e7e8c772d2b7ce936.pngChicago, Illinois. Copper-nickel, 5g. COLUMBIAN 1893 EXPOSITION (Martin-Dow ILL-WCE 1c). Under coin: Philadelphia. Large V in centre, representing Roman 5, with wreath; UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, E PLURIBUS UNUM, ·CENTS·. Head of Liberty with 13 stars around the head, representing the first 13 colonies/states; LIBERTY (KM 112).

Let's see what  5 cent piece buying power in 1893>>>>> mr. Peabody lets set the "way back machine to 1893 Chicago US of A >>>>>> $100 usd in 1893 is equal to $3292.34 usd 2022 so a nickel in 1893  would be $1.65 in today's money.  

download.jpeg.jpg

Edited by Paddy54
  • Like 1
  • Smile 1

1 minute ago, akeady said:

I like elongated coins and often get them when I go somewhere.   I can only find a photo' of one at the moment - from the Tower Of London in 2011:

spacer.png

I like the way the original coin is still mostly visible in this.

ATB,

Aidan.

I've never been across the pond...most of my travels have been throughout the Caribbean, Mexico,Canada,and the states of course. But I am quite aware of the Ravens in the Tower of London. In fact I recall my brother telling a story of one landing onnthe block as he toured the tower.

• Like 2

You know a very cool thought if this forum could come up with a design and elongated coin as a fund raiser to support it. 

In fact it be very cool to have one with the forums inauguration date....as well a neat logo .  Now I understand that they couldn't bevrolled on an Acient coin... but the design could be one 🙂

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Constantivs said:

When I brought the kids to Disney many years ago they had a machine that would do this $tu$$ to any coin you inserted.

I bought the kids an ice cream and walked on.

Pretend coins are ridiculous. 

As well pretend coin collectors....  never seen one....? Take a look in a mirror !   Oh right more so a horses ( ! )  in the reflection. 

Edited by Paddy54

1 hour ago, Constantivs said:

Whatever makes you happy... pretend coins are not my thing. But again.. if its your thing - enjoy yourself!

Keep editing all you want... as all your post as written have been reported to the powers being ! 

1 hour ago, Paddy54 said:

Keep editing all you want... as all your post as written have been reported to the powers being ! 

What does this actually mean? You went and complained to Mommy? 

I wrote something about make-believe coins and how they're kind of a joke.. thought better of it and edited my post to say "whatever makes you happy". What rule have I broken?

Not run it by you to make sure its OK?? Get a life

Edited by Constantivs

5 hours ago, Constantivs said:

What does this actually mean? You went and complained to Mommy? 

I wrote something about make-believe coins and how they're kind of a joke.. thought better of it and edited my post to say "whatever makes you happy". What rule have I broken?

Not run it by you to make sure its OK?? Get a life

You know the internet is a wonderful place...unfortunately trolls like yourself always seen to craw out from under slimy rock and do what Trolls do best...

Show to the world that they are just a slimy no nothing troll...who brings nothing to the party but their ignorance and disruption to what ever they touch.

Lets hope that the powers being " not mommy" recognize you true porpose in like being a full time "TROLL" and ban you before you infect other post with your pompous and despicable attitude towards other members interest and post.

Do us all a major favor....crawl back under your rock....and do what ever "TROLLS" do..... besides trying to disrupt a forum that shares the interest of all members...not just the resident TROLL! 

My apologies to the membership for this...but as you can see this member started with me....used curse words....editing them and trying to disturb the membership here. I have reported it to the powers being... and again apologize to the membership...as for the "TROLL"  I'm relatively sure it won't apologize just continue to disrupt the membership and cause situations as such.....until its forced to leave.

13 hours ago, Paddy54 said:

Now this isn't actually a coin or an elongated one...but again a souvenir of the 1893 Columbian Expo .... want to take a guess? As to its porpose??? 🙂

20220809_213028.jpg

20220809_213049.jpg

This particular specimen was most probably a give me at the companies booth or stand at the expo. I do not know that for a fact....it may of been a item sold. It is a watch fob for the end of the chain. It also if you notice the bottom below the date a screw driver like blade...that was a useful tool to open the watch as they needed to be wound daliy and this would be the pry to open the case...funny what was a useful tool 129 years ago is now a small part of a souvenir collection. 

• Like 2