The everyday man's souvenir

Paddy54

Chiming in just to say: @Constantivs thank you for editing your message. @Paddy54 I think Constantivs' edit shows he regretted his initial wording and didn't mean offense.

I think it's safe to say Constantivs is not a troll, one would only need to examine his post history to see that (many of which, I have personally liked). Understand that things can get tense at times but sometimes the best remedy is to just not engage if you think anything is amiss, and ping me (as you did). Always happy to mediate, that's part of my job 🙂 

To help get this thread back on track, here's a fun souvenir coin I got when I walked to the top of St. Stephan's Cathedral in Vienna. Clearly, my photography method that works on my ancients doesn't work here as well as you can clearly see my phone reflected in the coin 🤣

IMG_5133.jpeg.e947781ab792af66352622bfc5d135fe.jpegIMG_5132.jpeg.123636acd68380c9c14cc320b7dade22.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, Restitutor said:

Chiming in just to say: @Constantivs thank you for editing your message. @Paddy54 I think Constantivs' edit shows he regretted his initial wording and didn't mean offense.

I think it's safe to say Constantivs is not a troll, one would only need to examine his post history to see that (many of which, I have personally liked). Understand that things can get tense at times but sometimes the best remedy is to just not engage if you think anything is amiss, and ping me (as you did). Always happy to mediate, that's part of my job 🙂 

To help get this thread back on track, here's a fun souvenir coin I got when I walked to the top of St. Stephan's Cathedral in Vienna. Clearly, my photography method that works on my ancients doesn't work here as well as you can clearly see my phone reflected in the coin 🤣

IMG_5133.jpeg.e947781ab792af66352622bfc5d135fe.jpegIMG_5132.jpeg.123636acd68380c9c14cc320b7dade22.jpeg

Gives it even more character, Lol. Beautiful Cathedral coin.

• Smile 2

1 hour ago, Restitutor said:

I appreciate your speedy reply and insight to this issue. My post was not started to create an issue here ,but to educate and enjoy. You may speak for this person and I respect your word. As for him I have no use for a member who entices negatively to another members post.....

I have many friends here as well thoughout the hobby, I have been published as well received awards for my articles....I have no respect or need such a negative person posting their juvenile views to reply to any of my post.

And please understand that I joined this forum to post,enjoy and discuss coins, not to argue with any  member who posts are just plain ignorant and something that one would expect from an uneducated inmature child.

My apologies for any disruptions my thread wasn't posted for that reason.

Regards Paddy54

Edited by Paddy54

I need to find and post an B&W image that we got when my Father in Law passed. Dad fought in both theaters of WWll. However a photo he took I'm guessing was from a troop plane shows a beatiful Cathedral.  Whats so cool is you can see the shadow of his aircraft in the court yard....but one conversion that Dad spoke of the war ...as he was in the  battle of the Bulge, as well liberated death camps prior to his time spent in the Pacific...was the Cathedrals. His remarks of how beautiful they were , and Im guessing a true sanctuary from the destruction of the countries.

Thank you for you contribution...I hope to have other postive post...and for all to enjoy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChrisB said:

I collect Hudson-Fulton Celebration items so I was thrilled when I found this one. 

image.jpeg.9af46d57b7583518e76259f530b6dbe3.jpeg

image.jpeg.df3b039ba0130a0c370a42d5c6ec827c.jpeg

Afterwards I found out they actually grade elongated coins, so I bought this one as well. 

image.jpeg.117feffef74860da0a37cdc1f5ed85b3.jpegimage.jpeg.5dc5331c0ca91364ffc48e128fcf7a34.jpeg

Thats very cool thanks for your post, now I've only had seen one of these ...1 time before but like yours it was graded in an NGC . It was from the Buffalo expo 1901 on an IHC  but featured Pocahontas!  And was told it was quite rare as it was priced at $450.

I've never have seen the Fulton ones before....they must be hens teeth.

Edited by Paddy54
  • Like 2

A very good Friend Jamez Motley who also happens to be president of CONECA ,I know has been working on a book on elongated coins.  I've been pushing him at times to get it done...I believe that he plan to go with color images rather than the black and white ones he had. Plus in the age of covid everything is on a different schedule. Making simply task very complex unfortunately. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, akeady said:

I like elongated coins and often get them when I go somewhere.   I can only find a photo' of one at the moment - from the Tower Of London in 2011:

spacer.png

I like the way the original coin is still mostly visible in this.

ATB,

Aidan.

I like all of these, even if I never collected them.  @Paddy54's collection demonstrates a cool combination of thematic unity and diversity.  And I really like how specific the different references are.  

...But @akeady's example had to evoke of the one time I was in Europe and the UK, with my family as a kid.  It was the summer of 1973.  Of course, we had to do the Tower of London.  The beefeater giving the tour took great delight in pointing out the Water Gate ...thank you, for the benefit of the American tourists.  Still makes me chuckle.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Paddy54 said:

Thats very cool thanks for your post, now I've only had seen one of these ...1 time before but like yours it was graded in an NGC . It was from the Buffalo expo 1901 on an IHC  but featured Pocahontas!  And was told it was quite rare as it was priced at $450.

I've never have seen the Fulton ones before....they must be hens teeth.

I didn't pay anywhere near that for either of these. I haven't seen many of them but then, there aren't that many people collecting Hudson-Fulton. Both of these were around $100.

• Like 1
  • Yes 1

1 hour ago, ChrisB said:

I didn't pay anywhere near that for either of these. I haven't seen many of them but then, there aren't that many people collecting Hudson-Fulton. Both of these were around $100.

I was referring to the Pocahontas one from the 1901...Buffalo expo. But again that was a dealers asking price...but again...I haven't seen that 1 before or your two specimens.  That said a definitive value is what the market bears...? IDK  I wish Jamez book was ready for publication.

Edited by Paddy54
  • Like 1

After picking up the Hudson-Fulton elongated cent above I decided to do some searching for other early graded elongated cents. They can be surprisingly affordable. Both of these were under $50 if memory serves me right.

1933 World's Fair - Belgium Village

image.jpeg.14ad7cf63d79c61c98fc98595e39c492.jpeg

1935 Will Rogers. This one has surprisingly high relief.

image.jpeg.601c131a27d0d83f88b81507190e6a6f.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Smile 1

I picked up 4 more vintage elongated cents today. All 1930's dates. Lincoln host coins.

I just recievedthe id on these 4 the Goodyear specimen is an R4 centure of progress an R-3 the electrical Building R-3 & the fountains an R-2

20220814_142546.jpg

20220814_142616.jpg

20220814_142633.jpg

20220814_142510.jpg

Edited by Paddy54
  • Like 4