Cross-Posting

David Atherton

57 minutes ago, Restitutor said:

In all seriousness though... I do like the idea as well! As with any forum, the larger it grows and the more topics posted it becomes more difficult to find previous posts. For those looking for help identifying coins, creating a new sub-forum could definitely be useful. And, with how the site is structured if you don't wish to see those posts you can simply uncheck the box next to the sub-forum and poof, the posts are gone!

Yes great - an ID section would help to bundle information and knowledge here. Without the threads disappearing at the end due to a lot of off-topic.

I have nothing against offtopic in the normal areas!

But if the ID section is specifically about knowledge - that would be a clear gain for the forum. 

Besides - it doesn't always have to be a complete determination. It can also be that someone knows which coin and which catalogue number it is - but he would like to know something about this coin. Background information etc. And so one could bundle this information in one category.

• Like 5

I'd think that when people are more relaxed about whatever it is that they're doing (not careless, just more easy-going) the results are often better. I don't see why anyone would have a problem with posting here and some other place in this context, when it's not breaking the netiquette: the posts are providing information rather than asking for information to be given and offering the viewer pictures of nice coins.

But all your replies reminded me of a thought I had back when the exodus from CT happened, and that is why do we make threads about coins here or any other place? I especially pondered stopping my posts altogether both there and here because of the general lack of reactions I got on them. So why even bother and waste precious time doing a composed and informative thread anyways? So while I considered not making threads anymore and just participating whenever I had relevant things to add to an already ongoing thread it occurred to me that most of the write-ups help the writer. The writing process helps you focus and clarify your thoughts, which in turn will help you better understand what you know and don't know and give you new ideas and new directions for your research etc. Plus -- my interests are rather obscure and I cannot expect people to gravitate around what makes me tick. So I decided to just keep creating threads whenever I thought it worthy and not care about neither lack of general interest nor the popularity of other posts. I chilled completely about it and even decided to bring some of my better topics from CT here, which includes material that only had like 5likes back there and no replies at all. But it was good an informative material worth re-posting.

• Like 10

16 minutes ago, seth77 said:

[W]hy do we make threads about coins here or any other place? I especially pondered stopping my posts altogether both there and here because of the general lack of reactions I got on them. So why even bother and waste precious time doing a composed and informative thread anyways?

We're justifiably proud of our coins and we want to share our excitement and joy with others. When I was a kid in grade school, we had an activity called "show and tell," where each child brought in an item and talked about what it is and why they like it. It was one of my favorite things when I was a kid in school. That's what we do here.

• Like 9
  • Yes 2
  • Popcorn 1

36 minutes ago, seth77 said:

But all your replies reminded me of a thought I had back when the exodus from CT happened, and that is why do we make threads about coins here or any other place? I especially pondered stopping my posts altogether both there and here because of the general lack of reactions I got on them. So why even bother and waste precious time doing a composed and informative thread anyways? So while I considered not making threads anymore and just participating whenever I had relevant things to add to an already ongoing thread it occurred to me that most of the write-ups help the writer. The writing process helps you focus and clarify your thoughts, which in turn will help you better understand what you know and don't know and give you new ideas and new directions for your research etc. Plus -- my interests are rather obscure and I cannot expect people to gravitate around what makes me tick. So I decided to just keep creating threads whenever I thought it worthy and not care about neither lack of general interest nor the popularity of other posts. I chilled completely about it and even decided to bring some of my better topics from CT here, which includes material that only had like 5likes back there and no replies at all. But it was good an informative material worth re-posting.

For what it’s worth the value of your threads is not limited to the reactions they receive. I often CAN’T participate in your threads because of my lack of anything substantial to add. I do try to give a “like” to a good read though.

A big source of value is the stored knowledge for future research. In fact THIS THREAD of yours at CT is the only reason I was able to correctly identify the below coin which was misattributed when I bought it. Long story short, don’t stop your posts... they are useful and valuable even if they don’t immediately attract a lot of replies.

284A485B-FC29-4489-8E9E-77543833B3D2.jpeg.e198913e36dd139b6141bfa5dee307d4.jpeg

Crusaders, Duchy of Athens
Regency of Helena Angelina for Guy II de la Roche (AD 1287-1291)
BI Denier Tournois, Thebes mint, struck ca. AD 1287-1288(?)
Dia.: 19 mm
Wt.: 0.82 g
Obv.: + ⦂ ThEBE ⦂ CIVIS ⦂ Chateau tournois
Rev.: + ⦂ G ⦂ DVX ⦂ ATENES ⦂ Cross pattee
Ref.: Malloy 86, Tzamalis GR105

• Like 8

Well, in my case if I were to take only the perspective that @Roman Collector brought up into account, I would've stopped creating topics after my Berengar of Narbonne topic on CT only had 5likes and no replies and my topic on a Chateaudun 'obole' being mistaken for a Chartres issue and used as 'nostra moneta' by the Crusaders in Syria only got 6likes here.

Edited by seth77
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, expat said:

Posting a coin, for me, is about showing something that gives me pleasure. If likes or comments follow, few or many, so be it. The overwhelming consensus is nobody can tell you what and how to collect.

It certainly is, but this social media format also introduced something new, something that regular, conventional forums did not have before: the likes, which can (for better and worse) be translated into a measure of 'value' of a particular topic to the particular community of numismatists/collectors.

3 minutes ago, seth77 said:

It certainly is, but this social media format also introduced something new, something that regular, conventional forums did not have before: the likes, which can (for better and worse) be translated into a measure of 'value' of a particular topic to the particular community of numismatists/collectors.

That is a downside of social media functions being utilised where not really necessary. The Fossil forum I am a member of does not use likes. Instead you can choose from useful things such as, I agree, Learnt something new, I found this informative. If you get a reply you can choose the polite "thank you".

• Like 1

• Benefactor
3 hours ago, ambr0zie said:

There is only 1 distinguished member I miss on CT. The one who brought great joy and knowledge in our lives. The one who posts coins in bad condition and with pics made in a 30x20 resolution and with a simple, humanly, request - ID Help <insert random here> - ID Help Domitan, ID Help Germanicus, ID Help Maksymilian, ID Help cherry pie with mustard et caetera.

Oh, our dear friend P.? You forgot his inevitable second question, "Is it rare?"  

I'm not sure everyone realized that you were being a bit sarcastic!

• Like 1
  • Smile 1

1 hour ago, seth77 said:

So why even bother and waste precious time doing a composed and informative thread anyways?

Maybe I have an answer for you Andrei. Six months ago, I discovered that I can get paid to write articles about ancient coinage. You just have to find a good numismatic journal that is willing to do it. With the level of knowledge and the quality of essay you wrote in the past, it shouldn’t be a big problem for you. Usually after a certain time, you have the  permission  to use your writings in other places…like here. So everybody is happy; the readers who benefit from your expertise, and yourself because you didn't work for nothing!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, DonnaML said:

Oh, our dear friend P.? You forgot his inevitable second question, "Is it rare?"  

I'm not sure everyone realized that you were being a bit sarcastic!

With my luck, somebody will probably invite him here and the blame will be all mine.

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
  • Laugh 1