Jump to content

Persian tile artifact repaired

Recommended Posts

  • Benefactor

Some members might recall that I posted a thread on CT for a 18th century Persian tile that was damaged in shipment through a combination of inadequate packaging and typical USPS handling.

I took the tile to my local art restorer.  There is another restorer in my area, but further away, so to conserve gas I chose the closest one, who I've done business with in the past.

That was back in April.  He does take his time, which is fine with me, so last week I picked up the repaired tile.  The restoration required the use of acrylic paint and varnish, pretty much the same materials that would be used to restore a painting..  I did the rejoining of the broken corner to the tile using Gorilla Glue epoxy.  It's strong and dries pretty fast for an epoxy adhesive.

Here's the tile before the damage (photo from seller):



Here's the damaged tile, as received:



Here's the tile with the corner reattached.  I was also able to reattach pieces of the original glaze, but apparently they were mostly removed during the restoration.



Finally, here is the repaired tile. The group of flowers to the left were extensively reworked.   I wonder how long the varnish will hold up, but the tile is indoors and away from any direct sunlight.






Edited by robinjojo
  • Like 13
  • Clap 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...