I Ain't No Fortunate Son!

Roman Collector

Fortuna, the Roman counterpart of the Greek goddess Tyche, was the goddess of fortune and the personification of luck in Roman religion. Fortuna was capricious and might bring bring either good or bad luck. She was a central figure in Roman life. The Roman people adopted the goddess into their tutelaries and consecrated nearly thirty temples to her in the different districts of the city.

The goddess had many epithets. The following are those which appear on coins: Antiatina, Bona, Felix, Fors, Mala, Muliebris, Manens, Obsequens, Primigenia, Redux and lastly Fortuna Augusta/Augusti and Fortuna Populi Romani.

Fortuna appears on a great number of imperial coins, standing or seated, and is depicted wearing the stola and holding a gubernaculum (ship's rudder), a globe, a caduceus, or rota fortunae (wheel of fortune) and a cornucopiae. On a coin of Commodus she sits holding a horse by the bridle. On a coin of Geta she is recumbent on the ground with a wheel and cornucopia by her side.

This one depicts Fortuna Redux -- Fortune that brings back the Emperor in safety.

Gallienus FORTVNA REDVX.jpg
Gallienus, AD 253-268.
Roman billon antoninianus, 3.39 g, 20.1 mm, 11 h.
Antioch, AD 266-267.
Obv: GALLIENVS AVG, radiated and cuirassed bust, right.
Rev: FORTVNA REDVX, Fortuna standing left, holding short caduceus and cornucopiae; VII C in exergue.
Refs: RIC 613 F; Göbl 1640b; Cohen 277; RCV 10220.
Notes: VII C probably refers to Gallienus' 7th (and final) consulate, AD 266-68.

Gallienus, though son of an emperor (Valerian I), could hardly be considered a fortunate son.

Post your coins of Fortuna or anything you feel is relevant!

• Like 15

Nice coin and write up. There are are quite a lot of Fortunas.

28 minutes ago, Roman Collector said:

Post your coins of Fortuna

Faustina_II_16.jpg.caeecb174e139e38bff2af55128741c5.jpg

Faustina Minor
AR-Denarius
Augusta AD 146 - winter 175/176
Obv.: FAVSTINA AVGVSTA, draped bust right
Rev.: FORTVNAE MVLIEBRI, Fortuna seated left, holding rudder and cornucopiae. (no globe)
Ag, 3.16g, 18x19.6mm
Ref.: RIC III 683, RSC 107, CRE-I 181 [S] var. (no globe)

• Like 10

• Benefactor

Nice => Roman Collector, congrats on snagging that sweet OP-coin

Here is an ol' example with Fortuna ... 

Elagabalus - Silver Denarius

Rome mint: 219 A.D.
Diam: 20mm

Weight: 2.54 grams

Reference: RIC 19, S 7529

IMPANTONINVSAVG - Laureate, draped bust right

PMTRPIICOSIIPP - Fortuna seated left, holding rudder on globe and cornucopia; wheel under chair

Ex-stevex6

elagabalusa.jpg

elagabalusb.jpg

... I apologize for my poor photography skills ... below is the seller's photo (it's also a bit shaky)

image.png.9a63e0f768ff09e217748c5ea2bbe780.png

... congrats again 

Edited by Steve
  • Like 8

That is a damn fine neck beard my friend. Very fortunate indeed. No way Gallienus ever had to worry about wearing a scarf!

My Fortuna isn't so lucky as it was cold out when she modeled for this image:

Screenshot_20200919-193406_PicCollage-removebg-preview.png.88c6ee1c0dc3261e14d0b688b9263a91.png

Aurelian

270-275 CE Siscia. Antoninianus. Armored bust with Ray Crown R. RS: Fortuna enthrones L. With rudder and cornucopia, on the side wheel. C. 95. R.I.C. 220

• Like 5