I keep picking up cute Roman coins!

• Benefactor

Yeah, I know, I know. I'm primarily a Greek collector, but recently I couldn't help but grab two Roman examples after I swore I was done acquiring Roman coins for the year. First this one came up.

331A6882-Edit.jpg.89fea4629f30218789c3463700af9bb9.jpg

Anonymous Ae Quadrans
Struck ca. 81 – 161 CE : Time of Domitian to Antoninus Pius
AE 17.7mm, 3.0g
Obv: Helmeted and draped bust of Minerva right
Rev: Owl standing right with head facing; S – C to either side
RIC II 7

The price looked very good, and I couldn't resist the cute little owl on the reverse. The condition also seems very nice for the type. It reminds me a lot of the Greek owls I have, though this one probably spoke Latin instead.

So, I felt now I was done when a few days later this coin appeared.

331A6900-Edit.jpg.77a8e99dcc9fbca49e99179844fa3b2c.jpg

Caracalla
AR Denarius 17.75mm 3.10g
212 CE
Obverse: ANTONINVS PIVS AVG BRIT, laureate head right
Reverse: P M TR P XV COS III P P. Salus seated left, holding cornucopia and feeding serpent from patera
RIC IV 196 Rome

I already had an example from Caracalla, but I just couldn't resist the excellent condition of the coin and the cute little snake. I swear, if I could get a snake to slither around the house and take food like that I'd get one, though my wife I expect would have a different opinion on the matter. When I looked up other examples sold, and it's certainly a common coin, I couldn't find one with anywhere near as cute of a snake.

I'd previously turned down a number of other interesting Roman coins, and this one I felt was very reasonable, so I added it.

Feel free to show coins that didn't fit your collection but you just couldn't resist!

• Like 15
  • Heart Eyes 2

Two nice coins indeed (I like the tiny owl very much)

Unlike you, I'm mostly a roman coin collector, and sometimes can't resist a greek one (to each their own I guess 🙂)

Among others I couldn't pass those :

b7a67111728045a78df535f42b8b951f.jpg

98d05ff8d3dc42378f71abb328d9972b.jpg

0eb8203f36ab4459b0ba5372745690dd.jpg

Q

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Posted · Supporter

Ah, so you were the one who got that little owl! A great coin. I like the super wide flan and the perfectly centered strike. Congrats!

• Like 1

Posted · Supporter

The opposite to you really as I mainly collect Roman. But, like you I cannot help myself when I see a cute coin.

PERGAMON (Mysia) AE16.

Obverse: Head of Athena right, wearing helmet decorated with 8 pointed star.
Reverse: AΘHNAΣ / NIKHΦOPOY. Owl standing facing on palm frond right, with wings spread. Monograms ΓΑ and ΑΡ either sides of owl in fields.

Wildwinds online “plate” coin 

SNG Leipzig 1102-1103. Pergamon mint, ca. 200-133 BC.  2,9 g - 16 mm.

bk6X4T8zc7BgQw23nm5EB2WfZaa8w9.jpg.f7ed88c669288c99bd8c2a59ba33a075.jpg

• Like 7

Posted (edited)

I mostly collect Roman Republic & Imperial denarii, with some Greek & Byzantine coins. 

I generally avoid Medieval coinage because of the thin fabric of their flans as well as their lower level of artistry compared to ancient coins. 

However this silver Denier caught my eye:

image.jpeg.403084de963be42ea5e39688626b519a.jpeg

I might start collecting more Crusades era coins in the future due to how inexpensive they are in high grades. 

Edited by MrMonkeySwag96
  • Like 8