Looking for a resource on Iberian coinage

kirispupis

• Benefactor

Hello everyone,

I've been intrigued by Iberian coinage for a bit, mostly from the time of Julius Caesar and earlier. However, before I pick up anything I'd like to understand the coinage better. I've been looking for a decent resource and so far I've found mentions of Villaronga, especially Ancient coinage of the Iberian Peninsula

However, a) I haven't been able to find a copy for sale and b) when I looked through several pages online, it appears to just have photos and attributions of the coins without much information about the individual cities. Ideally I'd like to understand the following:

• Which coins were minted by cities vs tribes?
  • Around which period were they minted?
  • Some of the history for the individual cities/tribes
  • An interpretation of the imagery used on the coins

I can read Spanish. Would anyone have a good recommendation?

• Like 3

Posted · Supporter

I use MIB (Moneda Iberia) but it is quite limited with details, just like ACIP and FAB. These three seem to be the most commonly used references. For more in-depth literary journals, publications or sites, I cannot help, sorry.

• Like 2

Posted · Supporter

I have these - it's an old photo' from 2020 on CoinTalk - I'll look tonight to refresh my memory on what's in them.   Heiss is in French and very old, but interesting.   Alvarez-Burgos is in Spanish has little line drawings of the coins, but covers a lot.

20200423_1756232.jpg.0d195e7b465684e3a186fa38bb088658.jpg

Villaronga gets referenced a good bit, but you'll see Alvarez-Burgos too.

ATB,
Aidan.

• Like 2

Posted · Supporter

OK - Alvarez-Burgos has little information about the issuing cities.   Heiss has.

It got a great review in the Numismatic Chronicle of 1871! - https://www.jstor.org/stable/42682577.

Here's an example - someone a couple of weeks ago wanted a reference to some coins of Malaca depicting Vulcan so I took these photos.

20240508_021336.jpg.08f7db04c4f5b1d53224d9382167ecfc.jpg20240508_021342.jpg.7c91ada6abdc8f3fab5f1896ba5e8e95.jpg20240508_021346.jpg.7b12e4b6308968100afc3b08ca5bfeee.jpg20240508_021301.jpg.a4b75c8ef09737d783f3c0b4a056e9ea.jpg

I have a Forni reprint and it wasn't expensive.   Maybe it's even available for download.

ATB,
Aidan.

• Like 2

• Benefactor
2 hours ago, akeady said:

OK - Alvarez-Burgos has little information about the issuing cities.   Heiss has.

It got a great review in the Numismatic Chronicle of 1871! - https://www.jstor.org/stable/42682577.

Here's an example - someone a couple of weeks ago wanted a reference to some coins of Malaca depicting Vulcan so I took these photos.

I have a Forni reprint and it wasn't expensive.   Maybe it's even available for download.

Thanks! I found a reprint by Argonaut and ordered a copy. It should arrive in a week or two. It appears to have exactly what I'm looking for.

• Like 1

It doesn't have absolutely everything you asked for  it the first post,  but Moneda Iberica has a newish and lot better than  printed version online now. It was discussed at  the ANS Long Table last week so should be on their  youtube channel now or soonish.

Long Table 183. A Digital Catalog for the Ancient Coinages of the Iberian Peninsula

Ancient Coinages of the Iberian Peninsula provides an excellent sample of the ancient monetary world, with issues from more than two hundred mints from different cultures and various metrological and epigraphical systems. Manuel Gozalbes (Valencia Museum of Prehistory) will discuss Moneda Iberica, a new digital reference database that updates and improves upon its printed counterpart.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

ACIP could be the right reference.

image.jpeg.417b3ec6ff4267430b20dc57440fc12e.jpeg

As @Deinomenid says, the digital catalog would be the cat's meow. Meanwhile, the PDF now available online. 

Leandre Villaronga i GarrI Garriga  (1919-2015). Standard reference, Ancient Coinages of the Iberian Peninsula (2011), 802 pp. English and Catalan. Institute of Catalan Studies. The primary reference for the local coinage of ancient Spain, cited as ACIP by most dealers/catalogers. 
  • Like 3