Postage/package prices of auction houses, please add your experience!

I'm sure you're familiar with the disappointing feeling when an auction house adds a high postage/package (and sometimes included insurance) fee on top of the commission/VAT and customs fees. It's important to consider this when bidding on coins, so let's compile a ranking. Prices are in Euros. Please share your experiences/prices. Thank you!

Tauler & Fau: 60,-
LEU 52,39
Artemide Aste: 27,73
Lucernae 27,50
MDC Monaco 20,-
Naumann 20,-
S.P.A. 20,-
Savoca: 17,01
Astarte: 16,15
Bucephalus Numismatic GmbH: 15,-
Frank S. Robinson: 3,-

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Coinmaster said:

Bucephalus Numismatic GmbH: 15,-

I am so sorry - but your list is too simple.

1. a full insurance FedEx Express Service with 60 Euro are different to a non-insurance letter shipping for 15 Euro.

2. and there are difference in every company too - for example, your 15 Euro at Bucephalus are only one choice of four at Bucephalus. The 15 Euro are only a letter without any insurance! But at Bucephalus you can select from 15 Euro up to 50 Euro.

So if we want a serious list - you must list the prices include the shipping services (letter, FedEx/UPS Express, Insurance or not...) and you must list all the difference shipping services in the company.

So I read here - he cool Bucephalus only 15 Euro and participate at their next auction. And then I see - shit 15 Euro was only for a letter without any insurance, I must take the 50 Euro FedEx Option. And after that - your listening with 15 Euro here helps me nothing.

🙂 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Prieure de Sion said:

I am so sorry - but your list is too simple.

1. a full insurance FedEx Express Service with 60 Euro are different to a non-insurance letter shipping for 15 Euro.

2. and there are difference in every company too - for example, your 15 Euro at Bucephalus are only one choice of four at Bucephalus. The 15 Euro are only a letter without any insurance! But at Bucephalus you can select from 15 Euro up to 50 Euro.

So if we want a serious list - you must list the prices include the shipping services (letter, FedEx/UPS Express, Insurance or not...) and you must list all the difference shipping services in the company.

So I read here - he cool Bucephalus only 15 Euro and participate at their next auction. And then I see - shit 15 Euro was only for a letter without any insurance, I must take the 50 Euro FedEx Option. And after that - your listening with 15 Euro here helps me nothing.

🙂 

Hm, yes, I agree. Some companies do indeed offer choices (while others 'hit' you by surprise). I've only kept the added prices as a whole (without commission), but I welcome you to share your experiences – as detailed as possible. Thanks!

Edited by Coinmaster
  • Like 2

Posted · Supporter

From my perspective it is pretty easy and affordable. The only auction house I tend to deal with is Savoca these days. No added charges for paying with PayPal, and FedEx is only 15Euros, always delivered 4 days later. If I want to use a dealer and a fixed price transaction, there are a number of very good V-Coins dealers here in Spain. Internal postage with tracking is very cheap. Obviously cost are kept to a minimum with EU-EU deliveries, and will rise to meet the costs expended to deliver an item outside of EU.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted · Supporter

I've had a very recent, and positive experience with CGB in Paris. I've dealt with them many times in the past but that time they have been amazing :

Auction on tuesday,
Invoice early morning on wednesday (I paid promptly before noon by Paypal with no extra expense),
Parcel at my door on thursday afternoon via DHL.

The whole for the whopping amount of 9 (nine) euros !
Sure, that was from France to France, but anyway, that was great

Q

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Yes 1

My recent auction experiences follow (I should add I live in England) :-

Savoca €18 + 1%, immediate shipping, tracked, insured, very fast. 

Bucephalus €20 uninsured, tracked within a week which I'm OK with. Top end of what I would pay, but several wins so it spreads the load. 

Biga €5 uninsured within a week. 

Sol €6.50 uninsured within a week. 

Astarte CHF 15.50 + 1% insured within a week. 

They were all this year, some multiple times. 

I would also mention London Ancient Coins £6 uninsured within a week, and NN London who despite quoting £35 in their T&Cs did agree to ship for a much more reasonable £10 uninsured, both from last year. 

Happy with all the above. 

The booby prize goes to Aphrodite, who charged for DHL Express and sent it - eventually - by snail mail from London after presumably getting it there from Germany in someone's pocket. At any rate it took about a month, they saved a few euros and lost a customer. High buyer's premium too. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Olympus was my biggest frown 35 euros for DHL, took 4 weeks (3 weeks of which was due to them not shipping)

Biga was mentioned, 5 euros untracked (excellent for a <100) purchase.

n&n London just got me for 42 euros, Altho extremely fast at 36 hours from Belgium to USA.

only good stuff to say about Sol. 20 euro DHL tracked, receipt 3 days from auction. And the 9 euro option is less than 10 days. 

Artemide is only 17 euro, no complaint yet. But they still have to ship, hopefully this week.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This is all from a US perspective, just based on recent experiences with these auction houses:

• CNG - very cheap and quick shipping (to be expected for a US-US transaction)
  • Gut-Lynt - VERY expensive (90 euros!). The shipping process they used (some mode of DHL) was very slow, especially given the price
  • HD Rauch - affordable, a couple weeks to process shipment
  • Heritage - cheap and quick
  • Kunker - cheap, but sometimes very slow to process shipment
  • Leu - affordable, but always very slow to process shipment
  • Naville - affordable and quick
  • Noonan's - affordable, but can take some time to process shipment. Also, on the last package I received from them they marked it as a gift and used a very low customs value. I'd prefer they didn't do that.
  • Tauler y Fau - quite expensive and slow to process shipment (they warn ahead of time this is due to export requirements)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I add a piece and an Italian problem if not at a European level: in addition to the shipping costs from us to Italy, it has become impractical to import material from the UK. Material stopped at customs, long waits (even several weeks of detention), documentation to send and additional fees to pay.
You risk paying a coin double its hammer value
This is why many of us don't even look at English auctions anymore

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted · Supporter
9 minutes ago, Vel Saties said:

I add a piece and an Italian problem if not at a European level: in addition to the shipping costs from us to Italy, it has become impractical to import material from the UK. Material stopped at customs, long waits (even several weeks of detention), documentation to send and additional fees to pay.

I don´t remember which UK auction house it was, but they addressed this problem by shipping the lots out of their EU premises. Delivery was quick and cost effective.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, expat said:

I don´t remember which UK auction house it was, but they addressed this problem by shipping the lots out of their EU premises. Delivery was quick and cost effective.

So I'll let you know, thank you very much!

2 hours ago, Vel Saties said:

Presumably, you can't buy from the US or anywhere else outside the EU either. None of the delay or fees come from the UK side.

I use a Google spreadsheet to track my bids and it's been a real handy tool. Among other data points it keeps track both of postage costs as well as length of time to deliver. In my experience Spanish auctioneers are the worst on both counts. Anyway, if anyone would like a blank copy happy to share!

Rasiel

Untitled-1.jpg.2a27b5f52da2aeeaededb55edfc6d627.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1