Help wanted in identifying bronze

don

I know I should be able to identify this but memory ain’t what it used to be. This was found out of context in the US. 
I know I’ve seen it before but cannot type it. Appreciate the help. 

IMG_6412.jpeg

In order to identify it, the reverse is also needed and measurements would be useful. 

All I can say at this point is the character might be helmeted Ares, but nothing more (including an opinion about authenticity)

• Like 1
  • Yes 2

Hello @don. Welcome to Nvmis Forvms.

I've seen many ancient coin types. I don't remember ever seeing that coin type.

As @ambr0zie said, a photo of the other side of the coin, and the weight of the coin, and the diameter of the coin, would be helpful to try to identify the coin.

If the coin is authentic, then probably someone on Nvmis Forvms will come along in the next few days, who has seen that type of coin, and can help to identify it.

All I can say, is that it may be an ancient Greek coin, or it may be an ancient Roman coin, or it may be something else.

It almost looks like, it has some letters, near the edge of the coin, but I can't really tell. 

Whatever it is, it is certainly of bizarre style and something that in my ~40 years of collecting ancients I have not come across before. My suspicion is that it may not be a coin at all, but instead a tourist trinket (I assume was worn as it is holed at the top). It may not be of recent manufacture based on wear and patina but the edges still look odd and the portrait type is very strange. Also the fact that there is no legend makes me think it was intended as a pendant and not for circulation as currency.

• Like 2

I have a similar piece 18mm  1.63g . I have not had any luck in finding when and where it was made. I assume it is some type of decorative ornament or game piece.At least it has a brother.IMG_5582.jpeg.4285122d02f9a37bd748ab3e0823417e.jpegIMG_5581.jpeg.3722493e581a4f38b3e717856b5d72c8.jpeg

Doing a little research after my above comment.I discovered that someone is selling  what they are calling a Conquistador  pendant on EBay that matches your piece right down to the hole and crude shape.They said it was found in the desert and are asking a five figure number for it.  Quite a story . It looks more and more like  a tourist piece that someone is trying to scam off of.

• Like 4

This is exactly the object, which Don published in his initial post

https://www.ebay.com/itm/266792449855

This is a real Spanish Conquistador pendant found legally in West Texas by me on private property. It is guaranteed authentic and is made of bronze polished by the blowing sands of West Texas. When found in situ it had one small loop of a long lost chain left in the hole. Upon my touch it snapped in half and fell to the sand. It had been lost for hundreds of years just waiting for me to pass by, spot it, and pick it up as the fortunate new owner.

It is a real piece of Texas History and places Spanish influence at the location of discovery many years ago. It is known and believed that Spanish conquistadors searching for the lost cities of gold frequented the geographic area in the early 1500s. This is proof they were there.

I am selling this pendant to someone who can appreciate it, treasure it, and quite possibly in the future share with others in a museum or like display area. It is an important piece of West Texas History.

It can be yours if the price is right.

• Like 2
  • Laugh 1

Interesting. If the pendant truly did originate from the Conquistadores, then the style of the helmet would be different. The Conquistadores had a Morion-type helmet with upturned edges at the sides. This helmet is more reminiscent of Greek-style helmets, but it's still more a mash-up than representative of a true Athenian or Corinthian-style helmet, for example. I agree with @Dwarf and @jtlart that someone's trying to cash in big off of a rustic tourist trinket...

• Like 3