Behold, The New Emperor Domitian!

Domitian's early coinage, especially the bronze, at times can showcase some extraordinary examples of Flavian portraiture. That is the case with my latest addition, an extremely rare accession type with a knock-out portrait! The reverse is rendered in fine style as well. To date, it's my favourite coin of 2024.

D80.jpg.03c75b78afee529bba57f760a3162c2b.jpg
Domitian
Æ Sestertius, 19.98g
Rome mint, 81 AD
Obv: IMP CAES DIVI VESP F DOMITIAN AVG P M; Head of Domitian, laureate, bearded, r.
Rev: TR P COS VII DES VIII P P; S C in field; Domitian stg. l., togate, with palladium
RIC 80 (C). BMC 265. BNC 278.
Acquired from Jetons Canada, eBay, April 2024. Ex Paris dealer, February 2024.

Struck fleetingly during Domitian's first meagre bronze issue, this unique reverse features Domitian as Emperor standing togate holding the palladium of Pallas Athena. Considered an accession type, it was never struck again and has the distinction of being the first original Domitianic design employed on his coinage. Mattingly in BMCRE says of the new type - 'Domitian holding the palladium is the Emperor entrusted with the destinies of Rome.' Rarely 
noted in the catalogues is the scroll Domitian is holding with his left hand, symbolising his authority. RIC's frequency rating is 'common', but only two other examples are listed on asearch in trade during the past 20 years and just four examples cited in OCRE. Same dies as the BM and Paris specimens. A superb example of early Domitianic portraiture.

In hand.

The two specimens I located in trade were ex CNG and CGB. If anyone knows of other examples please share!

As always, thank you for looking!

Edited by David Atherton
  • Like 12
  • Clap 1
  • Mind blown 1
  • Heart Eyes 9

Posted · Supporter

That is a stunning portrait indeed! And you can even see Domitian's features in the reverse figure, too. Truly, a magnificent coin!

In my opinion, this is artistry fully on par with the famed "Alphaeus Master" of Hadrian's coinage.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CPK said:

That is a stunning portrait indeed! And you can even see Domitian's features in the reverse figure, too. Truly, a magnificent coin!

In my opinion, this is artistry fully on par with the famed "Alphaeus Master" of Hadrian's coinage.

The engraver of the piece did similar work under Titus. Acquiring coins with their handiwork is quite satisfying!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Roman Collector said:

That is indeed a well-rendered portrait!! Send that die engraver an email with a "we appreciate you" meme and give him even more work to do! 

It makes you wonder if their talent was recognised in antiquity?

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Nerosmyfavorite68 said:

That is an exquisite portrait, reminiscent of the later ones.  Those are the only ones I usually collect of Domitian.

IMHO, Domitian's denarii fine style high-watermark falls in the 84-88 period. His bronzes were hit and miss throughout the reign. 

Edited by David Atherton