King Tatius, mythology and the founding of Rome

expat

At Saturnalia my Santa sent me a coin of King Tatius. As I was not aware of this character some reading was needed.

The coin I was gifted alluded to the rape of the Sabine women

20231217_120458__2_-side-removebg-preview.png.bcefa5e713b8b5c88b3f0194ea7e6039.png

According to the Roman foundation myth, Titus Tatius, also called Tatius Sabinus, was king of the Sabines from Cures and joint-ruler of the Kingdom of Rome for several years. During the reign of Romulus, the first king of Rome, Tatius declared war on Rome in response to the incident known as The Rape of the Sabine Women. After he captured the stronghold atop the Capitoline Hill through the treachery of Tarpeia, the Sabines and Romans fought an epic battle that concluded when the abducted Sabine women intervened to convince the two sides to reconcile and end the war. The two kingdoms were joined and the two kings ruled jointly until Tatius' murder five years later. The joint kingdom was still called Rome and the citizens of the city were still called Romans, but as a community, they were to be called Quirites.

image.jpeg.11f7f327f9c0f443de709976ef708460.jpeg

Painting of the Sabine women intervening

So, enchanted as I was with the story, I purchased another Tatius issue. This one is related to the story and the greed of a woman who saw riches in her future.

5300181_1710860060.l-removebg-preview.png.cfedd0ba7c1a2929855e6c282a4311f0.png

L. TITURIUS L. F. SABINUS. Denarius (89 BC). Rome.
Head of Tatius right, SABIN behind, A.PV before / L TITVRI in exergue, Tarpeia buried to her waist in shields, fending off two soldiers about to throw their shields on her. Tituria 5
sear5 #252,Cr344/2c, Syd 699a.
( 3.69 g. 19.4 mm ).
In Roman legend, Tarpeia, daughter of the Roman commander Spurius Tarpeius, was a Vestal Virgin who betrayed the city of Rome to the Sabines at the time of their women's abduction for what she thought would be a reward of jewelry. She was instead crushed to death by Sabine shields and her body cast from the southern cliff of Rome's Capitoline Hill, thereafter called after her the Tarpeian Rock (Rupes Tarpeia).

Please feel free to comment, show your Tatius coins or anything mythological related.

Edited by expat
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 1

I consider your first example one of the iconic RR designs. And no, I do not agree with the action described on the coin, but agreeing with this AND wanting this in the collection are different stories. 

I have 2 examples of the type. Bought from the same auction. I remember there were 3 examples, consecutive in the auction. I wanted the first. My father was visiting me then and he wanted to tell me something in that moment, so I lost a few seconds and bid on the wrong coin (2nd) as the first was already sold. Not very happy with it (I thought I was bidding on the first). The poor strike makes Tatius look bald. I ended up buying the 3rd too  - also imperfect (flan too small)

However I would gladly give these coins and all my other coins to have my father back, even if this means he would sometimes want to speak with me during auctions. 

image.png.dbd7b01ef1a983cb34b1f874615d8b05.png

image.png.05f053e2245b8a354512af26957e607d.png

Edited by ambr0zie
  • Like 9
  • Heart Eyes 3

Posted · Supporter

Congrats on the cool coins and thanks for the write up!

It's incredible to me just how much of Roman history is them being d-bags!? You'd think they'd keep it to themselves that their founder committed fratricide, they kidnapped a bunch of their neighbors women or the atrocities committed by Caesar. But nope. They bragged about them every chance they got.

IMG_0053(1).JPG.c62be04c0f22d744c28f2c51890c14e7.JPG

• Like 11
  • Heart Eyes 1

@ambr0zie and @Ryro thanks for sharing your wonderful examples. As mentioned, a truly iconic image. And as also mentioned above, it is incredible to think that the misguided deeds of their past are forever struck into the coinage. But the stories and mythology are great reading.

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

14 hours ago, Ryro said:

Congrats on the cool coins and thanks for the write up!

It's incredible to me just how much of Roman history is them being d-bags!? You'd think they'd keep it to themselves that their founder committed fratricide, they kidnapped a bunch of their neighbors women or the atrocities committed by Caesar. But nope. They bragged about them every chance they got.

IMG_0053(1).JPG.c62be04c0f22d744c28f2c51890c14e7.JPG

Exactly! My very worn example

sab.jpg.ff79091080f7a17f4294c2ffcad912e9.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

n8zfghXTr2IkL6eoOHAA_x0Zz5rR.jpg

ROMAN REPUBLIC L. Titurius Sabinus Moneyer, 85 BC AR Denarius. 3.89g, 18.2mm MINTED: Rome mint, 89 BC REF: Crawford 344/2b; Sydenham 699 OBVERSE: SABIN, bare head of King Tatius right; palm to lower right. REVERSE: Tarpeia, facing, buried in shields, raising both hands in protest; to left and right, two soldiers about to cast shields at her; star in crescent above; L.TITVRI in exergue.

Grade/Notes: Good Very Fine. Well-struck, centered and complete.

Historical Notes: The reverse type shows the killing of Tarpeia, the Vestal Virgin who betrayed Rome to the Sabines, who were attempting to break into the city to rescue their womenfolk, who had been abducted by the Romans. When she greedily asked as payment what the soldiers wore on their arms, meaning their jewellery, the Sabine men instead took off their shields and threw them on her, crushing her to death. Her body was then tossed off the steep cliff of the Capitoline Hill, which henceforth became known as the Tarpeian Rock, a place where the Romans would execute traitors, perjurors and murderers.

Ex. Minotaur Coins

• Like 5

We didn't have the less mythologically interesting Tatius type with the biga reverse yet:

RomischeRepublikRRC3443DenarL.TituriusSabinusVictoriainBigamitKranz.png.64a7de8745ea516244e5c62986a67456.png

Roman Republic, moneyer: L. Titurius L. f. Sabinus, AR denarius, 89 BC, Rome mint. Obv: SABIN; head of king Titus Tatius r.. Rev: L. TITVRI; Victory in biga r., holding reins in l. hand and wreath in r. hand; in exergue, control-mark (branch). 18mm, 3.84g. Ref: RRC 344/3.

And here is my Tarpeia:

RomischeRepublikRRC3442cDenarL.TituriusSabinusTarpeia-Legende.png.a9f5f3097e0b77e9e0b117e1563ff14b.png

Roman Republic, moneyer: L. Titurius L. f. Sabinus, AR denarius, 89 BC, Rome mint. Obv: SABIN APV; head of king Titus Tatius r., branch before. Rev: L. TITVRI; Tarpeia seated, arms raised, being crushed with shields by two soldiers; above, star in crescent. 18mm, 3.78g. Ref: RRC 344/2c.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1