Is this another new REVERSE?

NewStyleKing

Above is a Thompson #1, It is Thompson obverse type 3. So far I have found this obverse mated with mated with 6 other reverses, I think this maybe with yet another!  What do you think...my eyes are dull I cannot see!   What it means quite simply that there was a crazy amount of reverses to the one obverse.If people think it is then I shall add it to the picture above where my extensive researches has taken me. Numbers 1 & 2 are mated with the first Thompson obverses for which I have never found examples except in the ANS collection, so obverse 3 seems to the daddy of them all.

Thanks in anticipation!

4 hours ago, NewStyleKing said:

What it means quite simply that there was a crazy amount of reverses to the one obverse.

She had 473 obverse dies for 3,866 rev at one stage. Not sure how  that has changed since. The problem with this and  the other question is we usually rely for answers on New Style questions on err @NewStyleKing! 🙂

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

It will have changed almost the moment she published. |Holloway in his review of NSSCA  says he went into some auction catalogues and immediately found new combinations! What I did in writing some New coin types in the Athens early NewStyles type was looking to see how rare they were and if Thompson #4 was a single year production or two?

Ans; Thompson #1, obverse 1 and 2,  no new coins since 1961 I could find in my searches, however obverse 3 seems to have 8 or 9 reverses. Maybe these minted after the first two apparent tentative tries....who knows!

Thompson#2, New Obverse  and some reverses. Same #3, . 

#4 Thompson herself found a new obverse but the ANS couldn't find the photographs,  and no  I am no wiser that it was a 1 year or a 2 year production or no!

#5, Since 1961,  a few more coins as surfaced, 2 more obverses and reverses, but still a rare coin, but still not rare enough for an imitation to be produced!

The NewStyle really took off at Thompson#6

Edited by NewStyleKing

I'm confused in that you say there are 6 reverses but you have 8 photos of reverses (and 10 in the first image)?

1 hour ago, NewStyleKing said:

Is it one of these?  I'm not sure, but I don't think so!

VROPPED Arch DELTION Thompson 1 REVERSE.gif

Lederer ZfN  REV .jpg

T 1 BERK 83  168 1994  REVERSE.jpg

T1 GN REVERSE.jpg

Thompson 3a REV.jpg

DionysosT1 OBV 3  Unknown REVERSE.jpg

GOLDBERG JAN 29 2013.jpg

T REV 2.jpg

Of the ones in the post:
1 - the wreath is angled differently at the top.
2 - the A on the right is in a different place.
3 - the A N on the left are in different places.
4 - the E is in a different place and the owl's talons are further over the jar.
5 - the wreath is angled differently at the top.
6 - the jar is lower down and the owl's talons are further over the jar.
7 - the N is in a different place.
8 - the owl is smaller and the E is in a different place.

I think that leaves these two, which I think you're saying aren't paired with this obverse. They aren't the same as your new reverse anyway as the lettering is placed differently:
image.png.ea213d22806c735032e7989fc926cdb6.png

So the reverse is new.

Edited by John Conduitt
  • Like 2