Justinian II, first reign, Æ Follis...

ewomack

This coin greeted me when I returned from my eclipse travels. As with other Byzantine emperors, examples of Justinian II's coins often qualify for "good enough for the type" status. This one intrigued me with its mostly coherent portrait, various preserved details, mostly legible text, and for its location within his first reign. For those who don't know, Justinian II found himself deposed by Leontius in 695, then had his nose and tongue split before an exile of ten years to Cherson. He would return to seek revenge, supposedly wearing a fake nose made of gold. This gruesome, but very Byzantine, disfigurement led to his moniker of "Rhinotmetus" or "slit-nosed." I've sought a "good enough for the type" coin of Justinian II for a while now. With this coin, my Byzantine pile now contains 25 examples, running through each emperor from Anastasius I through to Justinian II (491 - 695), then it picks up in the 9th century and ends in the 12th century (813 - 1183). The timescale, varieties, and difficult to obtain pieces make Byzantine collecting challenging and often time consuming. Not everyone appreciates the rather abstract numismatic aesthetics of Byzantine coins, though I can't seem to get enough of them. Starting with the coins of Justinian II, 8th century Byzantine coins seem to become quite challenging, including many short reigning emperors whose coins seem pricey and hard to obtain. I'm still waiting for a decent, and decently priced, example for the empress Irene. I'm not sure how far I'll make it into that murky century.

685_to_695_JustinianII_AE_Follis_01.PNG.2ac6614035234d5eeac1221637bf6a30.PNG685_to_695_JustinianII_AE_Follis_02.PNG.ca4bdadbddc7be9dceb867ea958f30f0.PNG
Justinian II (685 - 695), first reign, Æ Follis, Syracuse, Obv: Justinian II standing facing holding spear and globus cruciger, branch to right; Rev: Large M, monogram (Sear #38) above, C/VP/A to left, K/OV/CI to right, SCL in exergue; 25.34mm, 5.44g; Sear 1301

Please post your coins of Justinian II!

• Like 16

@ewomack wow, that’s a stellar portrait. Really really good. certainly a coin you won’t need to upgrade, probably ever!

Edit: love this website, but had something nice typed up and took a work call. Came back and it had timed out/deleted.

Anyway, a brief few of my contributions. Nothing like @ewomack‘s example but interesting I suppose.

Justinian 2 first reign - half follis - sb 1262 - 5.02g

cool because it’s a cut coin, Harlan Berk mentioned many of these were from large constantine IV follis, which the weight and shape does account for.

IMG_5087.jpeg.3375d4b94d4211b74236011f813f75f1.jpegIMG_5088.jpeg.edea02289204d4b872925532f77be13d.jpeg

This is my pride and joy for a Justinian. Quite a rare piece as it has the Retrograde R with the officina. Nice large flan too. Surfaces aren’t perfect but what are you gonna do.

Justinian 2 second reign - follis - Constantinople- SB 1427 - 5.92g

IMG_4771.jpeg.8f03a700c76a3eff89ee7cd5355277f4.jpegIMG_4773.jpeg.262b75b2f53cfdd4083c912fcc3b04b1.jpeg

Justinian 2 - 2nd reign - Follis - 1428 - 2.75g

cool because Justinian and son Tiberius are both on it. Not a great example though, these seemed to have become more common recently, probably saw 6-8 sold in the last year.

IMG_5049.jpeg.771ae37e80527fe2107fa809132e84b7.jpegIMG_5050.jpeg.fa9c737fd40b2382ac8a7b895539275f.jpeg

Edited by ela126
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@ewomack That's a nice, interesting example. It has some interesting details. And, it has an interesting, dark brown patina. I also collect Byzantines. As you said, the people who collect Byzantines, seem to be a small subset, of the people who collect ancients and/or medievals. One can simply look at the number of posts, on each of the Nvmis Forvms sub-forums, to see how few collectors seem to collect Byzantines. It's interesting, how different people, like different things. Here are the number of Nvmis Forvms posts, at this moment.

Greek 6.6k
Celtic 258
Roman Republic 2.1k
Roman Empire 23.7k
Faustina Friday 677
Byzantine 3.1k
Medieval 2.1k
Non-Western 773
World Coins 3.6k

However, perhaps surprisingly, the number of Byzantine posts, is the 4th highest of the coin sub-forums, behind only Roman Empire, Greek, and World Coins. And ahead of the Roman Republic. And ahead of Medieval. Perhaps it has something to do, with @Severus Alexander's massive thread "The epic Byzantine portrait thread". I hope @Severus Alexander is doing okay.

One thing, that I think is interesting about Byzantine coins, is the decay. That is, how the style of the Byzantine coins, seemed to decay, relative to the ancient Greek coins, and the ancient Roman coins. The ancient Roman coins decayed, and the Byzantine coins continued the decay. And, I think it's interesting, how the Byzantine coins became stranger and stranger, and less Roman in appearance, as the centuries passed by.

Here's my Justinian II coin. Justinian II coins are somewhat scarce, and the demand is relatively high for this interesting Emperor, therefore the coins are somewhat pricey, usually. Especially the 40 nummi coins.

image.jpeg.c911a28745a8713a920d67fb695d3e5e.jpeg

Justinian II The Slit Nosed. 1st Reign. AE 40 Nummi Follis. Minted 685 AD To 695 AD. Syracuse Mint. Sear 1295. DO 54. Maximum Diameter 21.7 mm. Weight 4.09 grams. Obverse : Justinian II Bust Facing Front, With Short Beard, Wearing Crown, Cross On Top Of Crown, Holding Globus Cruciger In Right Hand. Reverse : Large M, Monogram Above, "SCL" Mint Below. Overstruck On Earlier Coin Possibly Constantine IV Syracuse Follis Sear 1211 DO 64.

Edited by sand
  • Like 8

• Benefactor
Posted (edited)

They seem to really decay after 630 or so after the Sassanian war and the Muslim conquest, except for still reasonably well crafted gold pieces. Then in the ninth century there is a revival of style which leads to some attractive (OK, for Byzantine coins) but clearly the style is more Medieval Greek than Roman, at least IMHO.

I collect them along with Roman Imperials and Provincials, as the Eastern Empire didn't fall until 1204 then 1453 once again.

Edited by Ancient Coin Hunter
  • Like 3
  • Yes 1

Nice examples, @Postvmvs, @ela126, and @sand, thanks for sharing. @ela126, you have a nice variety there, including samples from both the first and second reigns. I have nothing from the second reign at this time.

@sand - thanks for the stats on the posts here. I'm surprised to see Byzantines slightly above medievals, though Byzantines and medievals may have some overlap as well. I often don't know where to put a 9th - 10th century Byzantine - is it an ancient or a medieval? The portrait thread was fantastic, and you may be right that it gave Byzantines a significant boost here. Like you, I appreciate the "strangeness" of Byzantine coins. They are like nothing else.

21 hours ago, Ancient Coin Hunter said:

the style is more Medieval Greek than Roman, at least IMHO.

I agree and this is one reason I really enjoy Byzantines. They have a "transitional" flavor to them and their aesthetics are harder to get a grasp on. I'm also a huge fan of medieval coins and Byzantines utilize some of the abstractions found on medieval coins. Byzantines feel less penetrable than Greek or Roman coins as well, so I find them more challenging in some respects. I agree that Greek and Roman remain more generally "beautiful" overall in both aesthetics and quality, but I find a deeper mystery in Byzantines that just pulls me in. Perhaps I'm also attracted to things that seem strange or less popular as well. Maybe it's the "road less traveled" syndrome. I do enjoy Greek and Roman coins immensely as well (and I have some), but everyone seems to collect them.

• Like 5
  • Cool Think 1

Justinian II, (685–95 and 705–11) was the last ruler of the Heraclian dynasty and is one of the few Byzantine emperors who returned to the throne after having been deposed and mutilated. Succeeding his father Constantine IV, he ruled for 10 years, but the unpopularity of his severe taxation and the cruelty and excesses of his financial administrator Stephen the Persian caused Leontios, the strategos of Hellas, to overthrow him, cut off his nose, and exile him to Cherson in 695. Stuck in this outpost, Justinian tested various nasal prosthetics, dripped snot, fumed, and bided his time, marrying the sister of the Bulgar kahn, Tervel, and cultivating his new in-law against his eventual return to power. Meanwhile, the usurper Leontius was in turn overthrown in 698 by Tiberios III Apsimar, who mutilated his nose and imprisoned him in the Dalmatou monastery. In 705, aided by Tervel, Justinian regained the throne and executed Tiberios and Leontios .

Here are several of my favorite coins of Justinian II.

From his first reign, a silver hexagram: Constantinople, 692-695. 6.43 gr. 24.5 mm. 6 hr. Sear 1259; Hahn 40; DO 17; BNP 2; BM 26-27;

Obv: IҺS CRISTOS RЄX - RЄ[GNANTIЧM] = “Jesus Christ, King of those who rule”. Facing bust of Christ Pantokrator, cross behind. His right hand is raised and in His left, He holds Gospels.

Rev:  D IЧSTINI[ANЧS SЄRЧ CҺRISTI]  = “Lord Justinian, slave of Christ”.

Justinian standing facing, wearing crown and loros, holding akakia and cross potent set upon three steps. Beneath CONOP.

S1259_02a.jpg.3eb76ae8123d6975c32d545202c53f88.jpg

A major numismatic innovation of Justinian’s reign was the introduction of a portrait of Christ as the major type on the obverse of the coin, with the corresponding figure of the emperor being moved to the reverse. This innovation affected the gold and silver only; the imperial portrait continued to grace the obverse of the bronze coinage. Although a standing figure of Christ had appeared on the reverses of several rare 5th c. solidi commemorating imperial marriages, this novel iconography (though abandoned by his immediate successors as well as by the subsequent rulers of the Iconoclastic period) was reinstated under Michael III in 843. Thereafter, to the fall of the empire, the obverse was given to Christ or another religious figure, with the emperor permanently relegated to the reverse.

The Christ portrait of the first  reign,  the familiar image of a long haired and bearded Christ Pantokrator, hearkens back to Phidias’ colossal representation of Zeus at Olympia, as well as to the image of Christ in the Great Palace of Constantinople.

Justinian’s resumption of power and his second reign from 705-11 introduced a new image of Christ on the precious metal coinage. The second image, with short, curly hair and beard is associated by art historians as Syrian, and is thought to be an attempt to represent the Savior in a more human-like manner, without the classical associations of the majestic Pantokrator image of the first reign.

This is not the place to delve into the possible reasons for this unprecedented innovation, but those wishing to explore the subject in depth should consult James Douglas Breckenridge’s 1959 monograph, The numismatic iconography of Justinian II (685-695, 705-711 A.D.) New York, American Numismatic Society, Numismatic notes and monographs, no. 144.

Two from the second reign.

Silver hexagram: Constantinople, 705. 3.43 gr. 22.2 mm. 7 hr. Sear 1423; Hahn 39; DO [8] = BM (First reign) 28 = Tolstoi 76.

Obv: δ N IҺS CҺS RЄ - X RЄGNANTIЧM = “Our lord, Jesus Christ, King of those who rule”. Facing bust of Christ Pantokrator, cross behind. His right hand is raised and in His left, holds Gospels.

Rev: δ N IЧST – [INIAN]ЧS MЧLTЧS AN. = “Our lord, Justinian, [may you reign] many years”. Crowned, facing bust of Justinian, wearing loros and holding cross potent set upon three steps and globus cruciger with patriarchal cross inscribed PAX.

S1423b.JPG.a373ca01b2473629686c107b5c349488.JPG

Sadly, holed, but so is the BM specimen, which is the only one cited by Hahn in MIB III. Struck with solidus dies.

Follis, Constantinople, 705/6. 4.18 gr. 22.6 mm. 6 hr. Sear 1428; Hahn 43, 2 (this coin); DO 12a; T. 13. Ex Protonotarios collection.

Obv: DN IЧSTINIANЧS ЄT TIЬЄRIЧS P = “Our lords, Justinian and Tiberius, eternal [Augusti]. Crowned and draped busts of Justinian and Tiberius facing, holding between them a patriarchal cross set on globe inscribed PAX

Rev: Large M; cross above, ANNO to left, XXI to right, A below, CON in exergue

S1428.jpg.3f2e7aacd4e0bf36be5fd4ac564caa15.jpg
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart Eyes 5

Thanks, @sand, for the mention and the kind words!  I am indeed doing OK.  I've been missing-in-action from the from largely because my cancer + treatments have left me with very little energy over the past few months.  What energy I had I devoted to family stuff.  But I am starting to feel a little better (hopefully?) so today I resolved to dip my toes back into the forum!  (Warning: the NHL playoffs start soon, though, so don't expect to see me around too much... I am Canadian, after all! 😝)

That JII is a beauty, @ewomack, congrats!  Phenomenal detail on the obverse, I love it. Can't get enough of your coins, @voulgaroktonou!  I remember that great 2nd reign sole portrait coin, @ela126, very hard to get.  I agree that your coin must be an imitation, @Postvmvs, very interesting piece!

Here are some of my favourite JII's.  A first reign tremissis:

justinianiitrem.jpg.c6aa130f625bc646ed4fc723bdd3b5b3.jpg

A late first reign half follis, dated year 9:justinianiihalffol.jpg.90ee86f05a7758bebefc56a7b14079cb.jpg

^ This coin is super rare, to the extent that I haven't seen another.  (The DO's alleged year 9 simply isn't. What they suggest is a theta is clearly just a ϛ.)

My only 2nd reign coin, a half-follis:

3849445_1677801901.jpg.9603fc2299c851648700eead4eedf802.jpg

Nothing from Syracuse for some reason, all the above are Constantinople.

• Like 8
  • Clap 4

2 hours ago, Severus Alexander said:

Thanks, @sand, for the mention and the kind words!  I am indeed doing OK.  I've been missing-in-action from the from largely because my cancer + treatments have left me with very little energy over the past few months.  What energy I had I devoted to family stuff.  But I am starting to feel a little better (hopefully?) so today I resolved to dip my toes back into the forum!  (Warning: the NHL playoffs start soon, though, so don't expect to see me around too much... I am Canadian, after all! 😝)

That JII is a beauty, @ewomack, congrats!  Phenomenal detail on the obverse, I love it. Can't get enough of your coins, @voulgaroktonou!  I remember that great 2nd reign sole portrait coin, @ela126, very hard to get.  I agree that your coin must be an imitation, @Postvmvs, very interesting piece!

A late first reign half follis, dated year 9:justinianiihalffol.jpg.90ee86f05a7758bebefc56a7b14079cb.jpg

^ This coin is super rare, to the extent that I haven't seen another.  (The DO's alleged year 9 simply isn't. What they suggest is a theta is clearly just a ϛ.)

Continued improvements! Glad to see you and your coins back.

• Like 2
  • Yes 3
  • Clap 2

14 hours ago, Severus Alexander said:

Multos annos @Severus Alexander! I am glad you are feeling better! mb.

• Like 3

Solidi, not folles;  but examples of the two portrait styles of Justinian II from his first reign.  I have only seen the very youthful portrait rarely.  Harlan Berk lists it as H-184, and notes that “extremely high relief coins of this type exist.”   The second coin shows a young man, not a boy. Justinian II was only 16 years old when he became emperor.  These photos are from the Byzantine mega-thread, so l hope it is OK to repost.  

image.png.e7d6fcd21fcd9ff83a429df24623aeac.png

image.jpeg.96cde00ac0d45264f1ef4250300a13e4.jpeg

The following two coins are from Justinian’s second reign.  The obverses feature the Syrian or Semitic style portrait of Christ.  Justinian is joined by his son Tiberius on the second coin.  I think it is remarkable that the son appears as a child and not a miniature adult.  This is rare in late antique art.  image.jpeg.06bf1d4d156ee42a7bcb2b5fccff7a01.jpeg

image.jpeg.befe29e50d70c3ebfca87e667847319d.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1