A late third century AD potin tetradrachm of Alexandria - Diocletian? Need help.

robinjojo

• Benefactor
Posted (edited)

This is a typically crude and crusty coin, which I think was produced during the reign of Diocletian, RY 2.  I'm having problems with the obverse legend, which in parts look like blobs of metal.  It appears to begin with AK.  The succeeding letters are hard for me to discern.  The ending letters appear to be OCCEB.  LB (year two), with an eagle, with a wreath in its beak, facing right and a palm left are on the reverse.  The weight is 7.02 grams.

The portrait style seems somewhat different from what I encounter for Diocletian, but these portrait styles seen to run into each other during this period of the The Tetrarchy.

D-CameraDiocletianBItetraAlexandriaRY12(lastyearoftetprod)7.02grams4-9-24.jpg.d15ed9f58fa2c6556c2af9ed797a17a0.jpg

I really appreciate any input/opinions regarding this humble and no doubt common coin.

Thanks

Edited by robinjojo
  • Like 6

• Benefactor

Thanks!

Here's another Diocletian Alexandrian tetradrachm with a different portrait style, one that I have seen very frequently.  The obverse legend is much clearer.

Diocletian, potin tetradrachm, 284-305 AD, RY 1, Alexandria.  Tyche reverse.

5.38 grams

D-CameraDiocletianAEtetradrachm242-311ADAlexandriaTycherevRY15.38gSal5-1-22.jpg.ff83c146dda128295d59fbcc34bd5dd7.jpg

• Like 5

Concerning the tetradrachm from the first post: It is not RY2 of Diocletian but RY12 (295/6), which is the last year tetradrachms were minted in Alexandria. The I is not really visible, but must be there. Legend on obverse reads ΔΙΟΚΛΗΤΙΑΝΟϹ ϹΕΒ, a legend not used in the early years of Diocletian. Even though style of portraits in this time vary considerably, the bust used and its overall "broad" (sorry, no native speaker here; I can not find any better word to describe) appearance are indications for a late issue. Parallels to the style of the portraits of folles can hardly been denied. 

https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/type/76381

• Like 5
  • Yes 2
  • Cool Think 1

• Benefactor
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Severus said:

Concerning the tetradrachm from the first post: It is not RY2 of Diocletian but RY12 (295/6), which is the last year tetradrachms were minted in Alexandria. The I is not really visible, but must be there. Legend on obverse reads ΔΙΟΚΛΗΤΙΑΝΟϹ ϹΕΒ, a legend not used in the early years of Diocletian. Even though style of portraits in this time vary considerably, the bust used and its overall "broad" (sorry, no native speaker here; I can not find any better word to describe) appearance are indications for a late issue. Parallels to the style of the portraits of folles can hardly been denied. 

https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/type/76381

Thank you so much for the clarification!  I uploaded a better image of the coin, and traces of the "I" can be seen now.

I was wondering why the reverse eagle design was not matching up with all the RY 2 tetradrachms of Diocletian.

Edited by robinjojo

Crude, yet interesting issues

Here's a RY9 tetradrachm, with the year written in full

9703f8e5d32d493b8a013c9a87ae8caf.jpg

Dioclétien (20/11/284 - 01/05/305) - Tétradrachme de l'atelier d'Alexandrie, officine A - AD 292-293
ΔΙΟΚΛHΤΙΑΝΟC CΕΒ, Buste lauré et drapé à droite, vu par l'avant
L - ENATOY, Nike volant à droite tenant une couronne (9° année de règne), A à l'exergue
7.91 gr
Ref : Emmett # 4064/9 (R3), Kampmann #119/89

Q

• Like 4
  • Heart Eyes 1

On 4/10/2024 at 3:47 PM, Qcumbor said:

Crude, yet interesting issues

Here's a RY9 tetradrachm, with the year written in full

9703f8e5d32d493b8a013c9a87ae8caf.jpg

Dioclétien (20/11/284 - 01/05/305) - Tétradrachme de l'atelier d'Alexandrie, officine A - AD 292-293
ΔΙΟΚΛHΤΙΑΝΟC CΕΒ, Buste lauré et drapé à droite, vu par l'avant
L - ENATOY, Nike volant à droite tenant une couronne (9° année de règne), A à l'exergue
7.91 gr
Ref : Emmett # 4064/9 (R3), Kampmann #119/89

Q

That’s a nice coin! I have one with the year written the same way.

DiocletianAlexandriaEmmett4046.JPG.6868c5da714fbc1065b7be36deb49c1b.JPG
Diocletian Potin Tetadrachm of Alexandria. Year 9 = 292-293 AD. Obv: DIOKLETI-ANOC CEB, laureate & cuirassed bust right Rev: ENATOV, L to right, Elpis standing left, holding flower and raising hem of robe. A in ex. Milne 5063.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1