Recent arrival, plus a group photo.

Hello everyone!

Spent some time this Sunday to make a little collage (that sulla80 kindly helped me edit a bit) with the coins of Lucilla acquired for my specialized collection of her coinage.

It has taken about five months to assemble this group, several of the coins have quite prestigious pedigrees (more details on those and the coins pictured below can be found in some of my previous posts concerning Lucilla. 

Lucillacropped.png.00c786ca8b86f0f7563917e4610a5f64.png

As for the most recent arrival, that I would like to highlight, it is this beautiful tetradrachm, minted at Alexandria in Egypt.

This is the only available specimen on the market of this type, with the other three known specimens residing in museum collections.

It also happens to have one of the best possible provenances a coin minted at Alexandria can have, as it was part of the Giovanni Dattari (1853-1923) collection.

The coin was probably part of the ones remaining in Dattari's collection after his death in 1923, and were later on smuggled out of Egypt by his daughter, Maria Dattari, after the revolution of 1952, when all Egyptian antiquities were nationalized.

The coins were originally intended to be given to the National Archaeological Museum in Athens, but ended up stored away in a safe for several years, before a man named C. Michalitzes (supposedly the Dattari family physician), without the knowledge of Maria, attempted to sell about 8.000 coins from the collection in 1972.

He was later on tried and sentenced, and roughly 5.000 of the coins returned. Most were later on dispersed in the late 1970s by the Dattari family.

So by the looks of it, this coin seems to have had a bit of an adventurous life so far, until ending up in my tray.

It has a very pleasant dark tone, with golden hues, a nice compact and thick flan, and has a very high relief portrait, a very pleasing coin to look at in hand.

image.png.3c0e7e362537e8cea8a8e7086dbf2eae.png

Lucilla. BI Tetradrachm (23mm, 12.14 g). Alexandria, Egypt. Dated RY 9 of Marcus Aurelius and Lucius Verus (AD 168/9). ΛOVKIΛΛA C ANT ΘV, draped bust right / Asclepius standing facing, head left, sacrificing from patera in right hand over lighted altar, leaning on serpent-entwined staff to right; L Θ (date) across field. Köln –; Dattari (Savio) 9533 = RPC IV.4 Online 3113.4 = Figari & Mosconi 927 (this coin); K&G –; Emmett 2471.9 (R5).

From the Dr. Thomas E. Beniak Collection, Triton XXVII (9-10 January 2024), lot 538. Ex CNG inventory 736102 (October 2003); Nomisma 25 (21 September 2003), lot 144; Giovanni Dattari (1853-1923) Collection, no. 9533.

Edited by Michael Stolt
  • Like 23
  • Heart Eyes 8

• Michael Stolt changed the title to Recent arrival, plus a group photo.

Great collage about great coins. Thanks for sharing

Below is one of the first coins I've ever had, given to me as a present by my (future then) mother in law (I still have it. I mean the coin 🙂 ).

448cab99e3db4c55a4ff8818906676c4.jpg

Lucilla, Sestertius - Rome mint, circa 164-166 CE
LVCILLAE AVG ANTONINI AVG F, Draped bust right
VENVS, Venus standing left, holding an apple and raising drapery from left shoulder, SC in field
24.42 gr
Ref : Cohen # 77, RCV # 5507

Q

• Like 13
  • Heart Eyes 3

Nice collage!!!

I have this one coin portraying Lucilla.

Lucilla.jpg.513a16b8e4d83cc81ffecb8ec08eb7bf.jpg
Lucilla. Augusta. (AD 164-182). AR Denarius. Rome mint.

Struck under Marcus Aurelius and Lucius Verus, (AD 161-162).

O: LVCILLAE AVG ANTONINI AVG F; Draped bust of Lucilla right, hair weaved and coiled at lower back of head in small chignon.

R: VESTA; Vesta standing left, holding simpulum over lighted altar in right arm and palladium in left arm.

RIC III 788 (Marcus Aurelius) 

• Like 9
  • Heart Eyes 1

It is not the part of my collection where are my interests, but looking the photos, I am asking : how looked Lucilla? On my coin it is not a beauty queen, looking and comparing the differend photos, an evolution in representing is showed. What I mean is very easy to see : my picture and this one above from Herodotus

That's a beautiful collection, Michael, and I love the composite image in the first post. That's my favorite kind of eye-candy. My only coin of Lucilla at the moment is a sestertius which is well-circulated, but undamaged and sporting a nice patina. I love these kind of sestertii...

Lucilla.jpg.a96e4921923ff85277ce520a5b432d1a.jpg

Lucilla, AD 164-182
Æ sestertius, 30mm, 24.3g, 12h; Rome mint.
Obv.: LVCILLAE AVG ANTONINI AVG F; Draped bust right.
Rev.: VENVS; Venus standing front, head left, holding apple in extended right hand and vertical scepter in left; S – C
Ref.: RIC 1763 (Marcus Aurelius).

• Like 9

My sestertius depicting Vesta:
Lucilla, wife of Lucius Verus. Augusta, 164-182 AD. Æ Sestertius (30mm, 23.04 gm, 12h). Struck 161-162 AD. Obv: LVCILLAE AVG ANTONINI AVG, draped bust right. Rev: VES-TA, Vesta standing left, holding simpulum in right hand, trophy in left; sacrificing at lighted altar before. RIC III 1779 (Aurelius); MIR 18, 21-6a; BMCRE 1178 (Aurelius); Cohen 94

LucillaSestVesta.jpg

• Like 7