A double adoption after a very long time

Greetings,

Excited to share my latest wins after a long hiatus. Probus strained my wallet a little too much but loved the overall aesthetic. Commodus has many issues with its condition but a fine portrait of his is a rare sight!

Commodus (177-192).  AR Denarius, 181-182 AD.  Obv.  M COMMODVS ANTONINVS AVG. Laureate head right.  Rev.TR P VII IMP IIII COS III PP. Mars advancing right, holding spear and trophy.  RIC III 25.  AR.  3.02 g.  16.60 mm

Probus (276-282).  BI Antoninianus, Rome mint, 281 AD.Obv.  PROBVS P F AVG. Radiate and cuirassed bust right.Rev. VICTORIA GERM. Trophy between two captives; in exergue, R thunderbolt A.  RIC V 223.  BI.  3.71 g.  22.50 mm.EF.

IMG_4102.webp

IMG_4103.webp

IMG_4104.webp

IMG_4105.webp

• Like 12
  • Mind blown 1
  • Heart Eyes 3

Posted · Supporter

The Commodus portrait is highly reminiscent of his father Marcus Aurelius.  And the Probus is outstanding with, in my opinion, a very desirable reverse type.  Of course, I am not German.  Great coins. 

• Smile 1
  • Cool Think 1

2 minutes ago, Hrefn said:

The Commodus portrait is highly reminiscent of his father Marcus Aurelius.  And the Probus is outstanding with, in my opinion, a very desirable reverse type.  Of course, I am not German.  Great coins. 

Nicely put! Marcus, Lucius and Commodus have very similar styles

• Thanks 1

Posted · Supporter
1 hour ago, DimitriosL said:

Well the hammer was 95 eu. For 3rd cent coin seemed a little steep.

That actually sounds like a good deal! For one in such mint condition.

• Cool Think 1

57 minutes ago, CPK said:

That actually sounds like a good deal! For one in such mint condition.

As far as probus prices are concerned, it was on the higher end especially for a relatively common type, but wasn't outrageous for sure. I am curious about the surface of the coin. Is it billon with decent silver content or was at a point silvered, got completely stripped and the metal beneath toned?