Albinus Bruti, f.

The order was originally intended to be built around the Gallus, but things changed when I noticed that an affordable Albinus Bruti, F had popped up.

Per the Gallus, perhaps you've noticed the (mostly Antoninianii) coins popping up on vcoins with older museum numbers pasted on the back.  I usually avoid these, but I like sestertii from the period, and although I overpaid for the type, I took a chance. The Gallus actually looks better, halfway decent, in person.  The Bruti, although the porosity is much less evident in person, looks a little worse in person.  It has that 'cir-cam' look and the bust is brighter in person.  Oh well, it was cheaper than other examples and not that terrible.

Perhaps the number tag on the Gallus was better protected than the others, or perhaps it didn't come from the old number tag lots which Marc Breitsprecher (or is it Incitatus coins?  I forget) have. This tag doesn't seem as ancient.  I wonder what vintage it is?  I thought it was kind of neat to have a pre-1940's find without a stripped patina.  This dealer is pretty good about preserving old collection tags. I had hoped that one would come with it, but no such luck.

Sestertii of the 12 Caesars are the most attractive in my opinion, but I really love collecting the sestertii of the crisis period, especially of Gallus through Gallienus.

I've always enjoyed coins of the later republic with portraits of individuals.  Feel free to post any examples of this type, or coins with ancient museum tags.

AlbinusBrutif.Rome48BC.ARDenarius16mm3.97g3hRSCPostumia14LAC.jpg.2567ca3204304628d15a1ce4a3141f47.jpg

Albinus Bruti f., Rome, 48 BC. AR Denarius (16mm, 3.97g, 3h). Bare head of the consul Aulus Postumius Albinus r. R/ ALBINV / BRVTI • F in two lines within wreath of grain ears. Crawford 450/3b; RBW –; RSC Postumia 14

TrebonianusGallus-251-253-AESestertius-29mm15.07g12h-FelicitasstglRICIV107oldcolltag.jpg.3a2038ddf05af2dc9a01af1af18b1648.jpg

Trebonianus Gallus. AD 251-253. Æ Sestertius (29mm, 15.07g, 12h). Rome mint, 1st officina. 2nd emission, AD 251-252. Laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right R/ Felicitas standing left, holding long caduceus and cornucopia. RIC IV 107; Banti 10.

• Like 15
  • Heart Eyes 3

Cool coins. Not the same type, no tag, but still an Albinus Bruti :

755c3c6c2f6a4aa19e96414a62657e3d.jpg

Albinus Bruti F., Denarius - Rome mint, 48 BC
PIETAS, head of Pietas right
ALBINVS BRVTI F, clasped hands holding winged caduceus
3.83 gr
Ref : HCRI # 26, RCV # 427, RSC, Postumia # 10

Q

PS : Oh, and like you I have a soft spot for the 3rd century sestertii :

66e862476fbf4b8487a0d0cfa470ddcf.jpg

Q

Edited by Qcumbor
  • Like 11
  • Heart Eyes 5

Even if the Albinus Bruti F denarius looks worse in hand, I still find it a great coin, with personality, a bold portrait, so overall - a good addition. 

I also bought recently a type symilar to @Qcumbor's but not the same condition. I still find it decent. I am still considering cleaning the horn silver or not (it's not a fourree even if the pic gives this illusion - the color is plain silver, not yellowish and it appears to have been cleaned by a brute, probably thinking he's Brutus). image.png.28533b4b6a37c9cb9f81fee1c0323802.png

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I have a couple of coins with numbers written on them, but it would take me a while to locate photos.

Here are mine of Cr. 450.

Cr. 450/1:

spacer.pngspacer.png

Cr. 450/2:
spacer.png

Cr. 450/3b:
spacer.png

ATB,
Aidan.

• Like 12
  • Heart Eyes 2

Posted · Supporter

Nice thread and beautiful coins shown. I have one sestertius of T-Bone with the almost obligatory squared flan

Gaius Vibius Trebonianus Gallus. AE Sestertius, Rome, AD 251-252

IMP CAES C VIBIVS TREBONIANVS GALLVS AVG, laureate, draped bust right / PIETAS AVGG, S-C, Pietas standing facing before lit altar, raising both hands.
RIC 117a; Cohen 86; Sear 9676.
23.15g. 28x31mm

ij7LG9opaN2m3wbDH63znCA4Jt5e8Q.jpg.d969b27a094742558c08081266797bca.jpg

• Like 9

Some lovely examples are shown.

I don't have Crawford or Sydenham.  How scarce is the type? 

I consider mine 'good enough' to tick off the box.  Personal enjoyment and the learning experience are the things important to me.  I'm rather enjoying the Gallus.

On 3/6/2024 at 3:40 AM, Nerosmyfavorite68 said:

Some lovely examples are shown.

I don't have Crawford or Sydenham.  How scarce is the type? 

I consider mine 'good enough' to tick off the box.  Personal enjoyment and the learning experience are the things important to me.  I'm rather enjoying the Gallus.

Crawford estimates 51 obverse dies and 57 reverse dies for the three varieties of Cr. 450/3 (/3a, /3b, /3c) together.   This makes it fairly common, though divided between three varieties, not too common.

Sydenham has separate rarity estimates for the three versions - 943, 943a, 943b - this is 943a and he rates it 2 on his 1-9 scale, making it "Very common".

ATB,
Aidan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/9/2024 at 4:46 PM, Nerosmyfavorite68 said:

Hmm, I guess my assumptions were mistaken.  I was under the impression that it was a little bit scarce, although not super scarce.  There are only 4 examples of the portrait type on vcoins, and all are expensive.

I thought it was scarcer than that too, but I see 151 of them on acsearch and nothing is really rare when there are several examples on Vcoins to choose from at any one time.

Not as common as the Julius Caesar elephant denarius, of course 😄

ATB,
Aidan.

• Like 1

Yes, perhaps it's one of those situations where more go to auctions than show up on vcoins.  I never thought this coin was too rare, although my initial assumption that it might be a 4 or 5 out of 10 on the rarity scale.

It's sufficient to check the box, for now, and it wasn't broken, which is another plus.  The DHL envelope negated the drawbacks of the rather floppy, environmentally-friendly, padded mailer.

The Restio type is another issue which I want to eventually acquire.

• Like 1