Celt Iberian coin I like so much I bought another one.

bcuda

I absolutely love this style of Celt / Iberian coin so much that I have 3 different variants of it and also recently gave one to my good friend @Ryro. Well today I picked up this one to add to my collection.

image.jpeg.059dadf7952e16a8d5be3570614256e3.jpeg

Iberia. Arse / Saguntum.
Bronze sextans, Villaronga-Benages 1979, Alvarez-Burgos 2064, Villaronga CNH 35; SNG BM Spain 1113. mid 2nd century BC, Æ .  obverse scallop shell; reverse dolphin right, crescent with horns upward above, Iberian A and star below.

Saguntum was built by Edetani Iberians in 5th century B.C. In 218 B.C., after enduring eight months of siege, the Saguntines' last defenses were finally overrun. Hannibal offered to spare the population if they were "willing to depart from Saguntum, unarmed, each with two garments." When they declined the offer and began to sabotage the town's wealth and possessions, every adult was put to death.  Seven years later, the town was taken by Rome and made a Roman municipium. Saguntum grew to a city of about 50,000 inhabitants, with a great circus, a theater seating 8,000 and an amphitheater. 

The siege of Saguntum took place in 219 BCE between the Carthaginians and the Saguntines at the town of Saguntum, near the modern town of Sagunto in Spain. The battle is remembered because it triggered one of the most important wars of antiquity, the Second Punic War.

Edited by bcuda
  • Like 15
  • Clap 1

Posted · Supporter

Beauuuuuutiful example, good buddy! And what and incredible place and time in history?!

Sagunto4.jpg.fa5b0216a59d95dd0da08c91ec9cb3b3.jpg

And this is as good a chance as any to show off one of my favorite new coins:

Screenshot_20231225_202536_PicCollage-removebg-preview.png.2f09aa64568b917df2b59cbccdb7d6c3.png.f2d8b920e7ad6591563249179c44e61c.png

Saguntum / Arse. Sagunto
180-20BCE (Valencia Spain)
AE Sextans, 2.14 gr, 16mm, 
Scallop shell. Dolphin, crescent above star and Iberian letter A below.
Burgos 2064. Saturnalia 2023 gift from @bcuda former Il Iberico Collection.

Edited by Ryro
  • Like 11
  • Smile 1

• 3 weeks later...

I just purchased another one, and the reverse on this one is really nice.

Once have a coin that I like I have a hard time passing it up if its in good condition.

image.jpeg.c11c233239305b58b5dc57dd7b1b9c12.jpeg

Iberia. Arse / Saguntum.
Bronze sextans, Villaronga-Benages 1979, Alvarez-Burgos 2064, Villaronga CNH 35; SNG BM Spain 1113. mid 2nd century BC, Æ .  obverse scallop shell; reverse dolphin right, crescent with horns upward above, Iberian A and star below.

• Like 7
  • Clap 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

• 1 month later...

Nice Arse sextans @bcuda

CELTIBERIA / Non-Roman Spain
[IMG]
OSCA Spain AR silver denarius 204-154 BC. Head r beard -N behind - Horseman spear, Iberian PMAN BOLSCAN Burgos 1501 Villaronga 3

[IMG]
Celtiberia, Secaisa
AE As, 25mm, 8.5g, 5h;
2nd to early-1st centuries BC.
Obv.: Male head right flanked by dolphins.
Rev.: Horseman galloping right holding spear // SECaISA in Iberian script.
Reference: SNG Copenhagen 363ff

• Like 4