An owl in his nook

Heliodromus

image.png.db1edcce2369dddb81c053acb12de5ce.png

Just playing with my owl. Not a recent acquisition, but I keep him in my desk draw as a pocket piece of sorts since I really collect Constantine and he doesn't as such belong in my collection. I take him out to admire once in a while!

When I decided to buy one of these, my main criteria was just eye appeal, and one feature in particular that appealed to me was the recessed reverse with the owl appearing to be in a liitle box/nook. I just took the above photo to try to highlight this aspect - much more atmospheric I think than this more axially lit photo.

image.png.ec87e0f08214f3b3bfa079a020f48929.png

• Like 26
  • Yes 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

15 minutes ago, robinjojo said:

That's a lovely coin, perfect as a type coin!

Thank you!

People can quibble about lack of full crest etc, but it was the perfect coin for me. I like Athena's smile, I like the space in front of her face, and above all I like the owl in his nook!

• Benefactor

While considered desirable, a full crest is by no means the determining factor in judging the qualities of a particular coin.  Since the crest is much more often than not partially or nearly completely missing, the artistry of the portrait and owl are important, and for your coin they are very nice.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Heliodromus said:

Thank you!

People can quibble about lack of full crest etc, but it was the perfect coin for me. I like Athena's smile, I like the space in front of her face, and above all I like the owl in his nook!

Yep, that's a nice one. It's all about the sly smile with these, along with athene nocturna.   😏

~ Peter 

• Smile 1

On 2/24/2024 at 2:49 PM, Heliodromus said:

image.png.db1edcce2369dddb81c053acb12de5ce.png

Just playing with my owl. Not a recent acquisition, but I keep him in my desk draw as a pocket piece of sorts since I really collect Constantine and he doesn't as such belong in my collection. I take him out to admire once in a while!

When I decided to buy one of these, my main criteria was just eye appeal, and one feature in particular that appealed to me was the recessed reverse with the owl appearing to be in a liitle box/nook. I just took the above photo to try to highlight this aspect - much more atmospheric I think than this more axially lit photo.

image.png.ec87e0f08214f3b3bfa079a020f48929.png

Your Owl is a stunning example 🤩! The owl side is literally flawless & struck from a fresh die 😃. I waited a long time before adding an Owl to my collection, & when the last massive hoard reached the market & prices fell I scored the example pictured below several years ago from a Roma auction. My priority in selecting an example was an attractive portrait of Athena ☺️. The owl side on my coin was struck from a worn die with considerable milage & not completely struck at the high points, never the less I'm happy with the coin.

Athens454-404BCARTet.25mm17.22gm3h(2).jpg.2c28faf78ea1011c641a422d08a80d5a.jpg

Athens, 454-404 BC. AR Tetradrachm: 17.22 gm, 25 mm, 3 h.

• Like 5