Heraclius overstruck onto an Æ Follis of Anastasius I...

ewomack

After an overthrow, one way to quickly mint coins is to just reuse the old ones. Someone in early 7th century Sicily had that same thought. Despite what some say about the aesthetics of their coins, the Byzantines definitely exemplified numismatic resourcefulness, as this specimen shows. Someone transformed a Follis of Anastasius I into a Follis of Heraclius with two simple punches.

When first encountering this coin, I had to look at it for a while to "get it." What was going on? It exuded visual cacophony. Then I noticed that it actually had its own Sear number. A quick read and everything made sense instantaneously. This type represents more than a mere overstrike, it signifies a complete coin takeover. Obtain a coin of an Emperor some 100 years past, leverage its copper weight, and just repurpose it with a new Emperor. Why not? Smack on a new happy portrait for good measure. He does look happy planted on top of Anastasius I's face, as he probably was following the successful overthrow of Phocas, often referred to as "the Nero (or Caligula) of Byzantium," in 602. Also, never mind that pesky "CON" on the reverse, make it an "SCL" and launch the coin into circulation. No questions asked. Well, would you ask? I loved the tiny portrait on sight, and, paradoxically, it's one of the better preserved portraits of Heraclius that I've come across. His Monogram stands to the right of his smiling portrait (Monogram 22 in Sear).

This coin also fills a significant chronological gap in my pile that separated Phocas from Constans II. So, my still somewhat small collection now covers all Emperors from Anastasius I through Constantine IV, corresponding to the years 491 to 685. Further below is my own example of the original not overstruck coin type (though it has a slightly different style). Some unknown person somewhere in Sicily didn't wield their happy stamp on that one. Whoever that person was, I wonder if they felt resourceful while overstriking? In any case, the good times for the Byzantines would not last as the Muslim invasions ate voraciously into their territory by the end of Heraclius's reign. The smiling coin had apparently witnessed happier times.

610_to_641_Heraclius_AE_Follis_01.png.917dd1bf830bac7d6b10a49f93b5e045.png610_to_641_Heraclius_AE_Follis_02.png.070dae778b573fd33499e2e673fe6604.png
Heraclius (610-641), Æ Follis (30/32mm, 16,54g); Sicily, undetermined mint, 616-622; Obv: coin of Anastasius I from Constantinople countermarked by crowned and bearded bust of Heraclius facing forward wearing chlamys, with Monogram to right; Rev: SCL topped by a line within small oval, stamped below the "M" of the original coin;  MIB Km 4, Sommer 11.113. Ex Rauch 86 (2010) 1380, Sear 882

Sear says that the type above also exists struck onto Folles of Justin I and Justinian I (one known example appears on a rare Justin and Justinian dual Follis). They kept those stampers busy.

491_to_518_AnastasiusI_Follis_01.png.4f02bf2486d866cbf0519486df36855c.png491_to_518_AnastasiusI_Follis_02.png.30c5c0ca68e5682a0c3adfa814d8041e.png
Anastasius I (491-518), Æ follis-17.41g, 33 mm, Constantinople mint; Obv: DN ANASTASIVS PP AVG, Diademed, draped and cuirassed bust of Anastasius right; rev: Large "M", delta below, cross above, star to each side, "COM" in exergue; Sear 19

Please share your Anastasius I or Heraclius coins!

• Like 6
  • Heart Eyes 2

8 hours ago, ewomack said:

After an overthrow, one way to quickly mint coins is to just reuse the old ones. Someone in early 7th century Sicily had that same thought. Despite what some say about the aesthetics of their coins, the Byzantines definitely exemplified numismatic resourcefulness, as this specimen shows. Someone transformed a Follis of Anastasius I into a Follis of Heraclius with two simple punches.

When first encountering this coin, I had to look at it for a while to "get it." What was going on? It exuded visual cacophony. Then I noticed that it actually had its own Sear number. A quick read and everything made sense instantaneously. This type represents more than a mere overstrike, it signifies a complete coin takeover. Obtain a coin of an Emperor some 100 years past, leverage its copper weight, and just repurpose it with a new Emperor. Why not? Smack on a new happy portrait for good measure. He does look happy planted on top of Anastasius I's face, as he probably was following the successful overthrow of Phocas, often referred to as "the Nero (or Caligula) of Byzantium," in 602. Also, never mind that pesky "CON" on the reverse, make it an "SCL" and launch the coin into circulation. No questions asked. Well, would you ask? I loved the tiny portrait on sight, and, paradoxically, it's one of the better preserved portraits of Heraclius that I've come across. His Monogram stands to the right of his smiling portrait (Monogram 22 in Sear).

This coin also fills a significant chronological gap in my pile that separated Phocas from Constans II. So, my still somewhat small collection now covers all Emperors from Anastasius I through Constantine IV, corresponding to the years 491 to 685. Further below is my own example of the original not overstruck coin type (though it has a slightly different style). Some unknown person somewhere in Sicily didn't wield their happy stamp on that one. Whoever that person was, I wonder if they felt resourceful while overstriking? In any case, the good times for the Byzantines would not last as the Muslim invasions ate voraciously into their territory by the end of Heraclius's reign. The smiling coin had apparently witnessed happier times.

610_to_641_Heraclius_AE_Follis_01.png.917dd1bf830bac7d6b10a49f93b5e045.png610_to_641_Heraclius_AE_Follis_02.png.070dae778b573fd33499e2e673fe6604.png
Heraclius (610-641), Æ Follis (30/32mm, 16,54g); Sicily, undetermined mint, 616-622; Obv: coin of Anastasius I from Constantinople countermarked by crowned and bearded bust of Heraclius facing forward wearing chlamys, with Monogram to right; Rev: SCL topped by a line within small oval, stamped below the "M" of the original coin;  MIB Km 4, Sommer 11.113. Ex Rauch 86 (2010) 1380, Sear 882

Sear says that the type above also exists struck onto Folles of Justin I and Justinian I (one known example appears on a rare Justin and Justinian dual Follis). They kept those stampers busy.

491_to_518_AnastasiusI_Follis_01.png.4f02bf2486d866cbf0519486df36855c.png491_to_518_AnastasiusI_Follis_02.png.30c5c0ca68e5682a0c3adfa814d8041e.png
Anastasius I (491-518), Æ follis-17.41g, 33 mm, Constantinople mint; Obv: DN ANASTASIVS PP AVG, Diademed, draped and cuirassed bust of Anastasius right; rev: Large "M", delta below, cross above, star to each side, "COM" in exergue; Sear 19

Please share your Anastasius I or Heraclius coins!

Cute how happy he looks.

• Like 2
  • Smile 1

In addition to S882, consisting of a counterstamp with Heraclius’ sole portrait, there are two later counterstamped issues for Sicily featuring busts of Heraclius and his son Heraclius Constantine, first as a child, and then as an adult with slight beard and mustache.

From clockwise:

Sicily, 614-21. 14.26 gr. 33 mm. 6 hr. Sear 882; DO 241 a-e; H. KM 4. Counterstamp: bust of Heraclius with short beard and Heraclian monogram. Overstruck on Justinian. SCLs counterstamp on reverse of host coin.

Sicily, 629-31. 9.04 gr. 36 mm. 6 hr. Sear 883; DO 242, a, b; H. KM 5. Counterstamp: bust of Heraclius with short beard and youthful portrait of Heraclius Constantine. No Heraclian monogram. SCLs counterstamp on obverse of host coin, a follis of Heraclius and Heraclius Constantine from Constantinople, year 21, officina A.

Sicily, ca. 635-41. 5.55 gr. 25.9 mm. 5 hr. Sear 884; DO 243; H. KM 6. Counterstamp: bust of Heraclius with long beard and adult portrait of Heraclius Constantine, with light beard and mustache. SCLs counterstamp on reverse of host coin, a follis of Heraclius and Heraclius Constantine from Constantinople. Accompanying the Sicilian counterstamp is the Heraclian monogram.

S0882-0884.jpg.831e42c485cd70f11bfba224ffdc3206.jpg
  • Like 7

• Benefactor

Yes, overstriking was a very useful expedient measure for emperors of the 6th century and beyond to employ.  It was both economical and, as mentioned, supplants in one or two hammer strikes, the emperor of the day over previous emperors, because, after all, in the business of being a Byzantine emperor, the more publicity, especially in the form of coinage, the better.

I do not have a Heraclius overstrike/countermark follis of Sicily, but instead a follis of Cyzicus, struck over a follis of Anastasias. 

Heraclius, follis, Cyzicus, officina A, RY 3 (612/3AD).  Overstrike on an Anastasius follis of Constantinople.

Sear 839

12.39 grams

D-CameraHeracliusfollisCyzicusyr3B(612-3AD)overstrikeAnastasiusfollisConS83912.39grams6-16-23.jpg.a0b1f48c26b60651fb963c1110a42456.jpg

• Like 6
  • Heart Eyes 1

Great overstrike examples, everyone! Thanks for sharing! These threads always remind me that I'm far from the only one who appreciates the often underappreciated Byzantines.

Though not a Heraclius, my only other Byzantine overstike is this Anonymous Class B struck over what looks like a Class A2. I shared this here a few months ago. At first, I found overstrikes ugly and unappealing, but my appreciation for them has risen considerably. This Class B and the Heraclius above have caused me to re-evaluate my opinions pretty drastically.

1028_to_1034_RomanusIII_Follis_01.png.2685ceabd3625c96d9a1de567c1f323d.png1028_to_1034_RomanusIII_Follis_02.png.0158a47ae9ae6bb6cadbb2d03bbf74f6.png
Romanus III (1028-1034); Constantinople; Æ Anonymous Follis, Class B, Obv: IC to left, XC to right, to bust of Christ, nimbate, facing, holding book of Gospels; Rev: IS XS / BAS ILE / BAS ILE to left and right above and below cross on three steps; 29 mm. 10.2 gm.; Sear 1823

Edited by ewomack
  • Like 3