Crispus - Interesting Pairing

Furryfrog02

I am slowly working my way through a bunch of unidentified LRBs and photographing/Identifying them. I was working on this one the other day and when it came time to properly ID it, I couldn't find a match. It is clearly Crispus and the reverse is clearly BEATA TRANQVILLITAS. But nowhere am I able to find an obverse/reverse die match like my coin.

CrispusAEFollis323ADBEATATRAN-QVILLITASPTRcrescent.png.c0ec6c1e57c672e7f310125c2f9f2ea3.png

My identification is as follows:
Crispus
Follis
Trier
Obverse: CRISPVS NOB CAES, laureate and cuirassed bust right
Reverse: BEATA TRAN-QVILLITAS, •PTR(crescent) Globe set on altar inscribed VO/TIS / XX

I think the reverse could be a match for RIC VII Trier 399, however, mine doesn't have the stars above the altar. Perhaps they were just somehow filled in on the die?
Here is an example from wildwinds:
_trier_RIC_399.jpg

But the obverse is obviously not a match. The closest obverse die match I can find anywhere is this one from wildwinds but it doesn't look quite right. Trier RIC VII 309 var. And obviously, the reverse isn't correct.
_trier_RIC_VII_309var.jpg

Anyways, I thought it was interesting. I used the resources at my disposal (wildwinds, constantinethegreatcoins, acsearch, vcoins) but was unable to find a match.

What do you all think?

• Like 10

I have a similar one from Trier:

CrispusBEATATRANQVILLITASAE3Trier.jpg.1a2914e3b25db4cbdf20f210c4b786b0.jpg
Crispus, 316-326 CE.
Roman billion centenionalis, 2.83 g, 19.1 mm, 1 h.
Trier, 322-323 CE.
Obv: IVL CRISPVS NOB CAES, laureate bust, right, wearing trabea, holding eagle-tipped scepter.
Rev: BEATA TRAN-QVILLITAS, globe set on altar inscribed VO/TIS/XX; above, three stars; in exergue, •PTR•.
Refs: RIC vii, p. 198, 376.

• Like 8

These coins are fun. Lots of fun bust variations that could be a collection in themselves. 

Here are a couple of my Trier Crispi. The second one bought from @Victor_Clark in 2018!

CrispusTrierRIC347-372.JPG.659a37a7ecc9ded0f15f001610a777ff.JPG

Crispus, 322
IVL CRISPVS NOB CAES, Laureate, curiassed bust left, 
spear across right shoulder, shield on left arm.
BEATA TRANQVILLITAS, Globe on altar inscribed 
VOTIS XX, above, three stars.
STR dot in ex. 
Ref: RIC VII Trier 347

CrispusRIC405.jpg.c7ff4e12bc524324e2d0fcd5796e16a5.jpgCrispus A.D. 323
IVL CRISPVS NOB C; laureate, wearing trabea, eagle tipped sceptre in right hand.
BEATA TRAN-QVILLITAS; globe set on altar inscribed VO/TIS/XX; above, three stars.
In ex. • STR crescent
RIC VII Trier 405

Edited by Orange Julius
  • Like 6

7 hours ago, Victor_Clark said:

It's RIC VII Trier 407

You sir, are awesome. I forgot to check OCRE.
Refining my search down, I managed to get it
https://numismatics.org/ocre/id/ric.7.tri.407
Might I ask what you used to find it? It's a bummer that there is not an accompanying image for reference. I'm a visual guy myself and sometimes I gloss over a wall of text.

6 hours ago, seth77 said:

@Furryfrog02 if you dont have access to RIC VII, you can always check Nummus Bible database. In fact they are right now searching for a pic of your exact coin, which means that it is probably rare.

I didn't know about this website! Probably because it is in French.  😛
I emailed the website and asked if they would be interested in my coin for their example. We shall see.
Thanks for the new resource as well!

• Like 1

As an update, I reached out to David, the owner of that website, and asked if he would be interested in my pictures. He just replied a bit ago that he would - so I sent him the picture posted here. Hopefully it will be good enough for him to add. 🙂

• Like 2

I always check it for Late Romans, it's very helpful if you don't have RIC VII onward, but even if you have it, it's a decent resource to extrapolate the relative rarity of a given variation in the overall type.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, seth77 said:

I always check it for Late Romans, it's very helpful if you don't have RIC VII onward, but even if you have it, it's a decent resource to extrapolate the relative rarity of a given variation in the overall type.

Unfortunately, I don't have any physical resources beyond a book on Byzantine coins. I've learned everything I know - admittedly not a ton compared to most people on here -  via sources online. I am forever grateful to the people who have made all this knowledge available, for free, to the world.  

I received an email back from David and he believes that it is an "antique imitation" due to the lack of the dot before the PTR.  
I wonder if the lack of dot could be attributed to the same reason there are a lack of stars and also the weakness of the legend in the altar...? Something to do with the die itself? I'm not sure what the terminology would be for ancient coins but with modern stuff, we call it "grease-filled die" where grease and gunk get into the die during the minting process.
Or - it could indeed be an imitation.
What do y'all think? @Victor_Clark any thoughts? Since you were the first to bring the RIC VII Trier 407 to attention I'd be curious to know what you think.