Created maps and timelines of my coins!

kirispupis

• Benefactor

While the project isn't finished, I'm just too excited not to share some work on my site that's now live.

Here's a map containing all of my city coins - https://ancientcoinstories.com/cities-by-map/

map.png.150d294dbc08b69ccfc0fb9eab7cf07e.png

Here's a timeline of people mostly around the time of Philip II, Alexander III, and the Diadochi - https://ancientcoinstories.com/people-timeline-3/

Here's a timeline of Roman rulers (whose coins I have) - https://ancientcoinstories.com/romans-timeline-3/

Note that the timelines may suck on on some devices, but so far I've verified they look decent on Edge and Chrome, at home and work, and on my IPhone.

These were all auto-generated from my coins application I'm developing for my own use. For the maps, there's a small manual step where the application generates a CSV and I just need to upload it in the map plugin. The timelines are fully automatic. Since I couldn't find a Wordpress plugin that did exactly what I wanted, I just generated the timelines myself in HTML. The hardest part was just figuring out how to prevent Wordpress from messing with it.

In fact, the rest of the site is also auto-generated and live, but I'm still struggling with Wordpress there. I've had to remove the navigation for now because it was a disaster and I hope to fix it over the weekend.

I'm very pleased with the map. Some of you may point out that - especially for the islands - it insinuates that the locals were very good swimmers, but I feel the points are close enough to understand. Also note that the "learn more..." link on the bottom of the popups that takes you to the coin is invisible right now on the black background. Until I fix that, just hover over it and right click if you don't want to leave the map (I need to fix that too).

I'll send out a separate announcement when the entire site is live (very soon), but in the meantime I couldn't resist sharing these. I've had both in my mind for over a year and it's amazing to see a vision finally come true.

• Like 12
  • Popcorn 2
  • Clap 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

Cool dude, I'm enjoying reading the writeups.. however on my phone, your hyperlinked text appears to be almost the same color as the background making in hard to read, some feedback Incase you wish to address this.. I'm on an Android btw using chrome, haven't tested other devices

You can see the example in the text from "2)" and "3)"

Screenshot_20240216-1904322.png.e2b2964c5018ba445246b861149de9fe.png

• Like 1

• Benefactor
1 minute ago, AETHER said:

Cool dude, I'm enjoying reading the writeups.. however on my phone, your hyperlinked text appears to be almost the same color as the background making in hard to read, some feedback Incase you wish to address this.. I'm on an Android btw using chrome, haven't tested other devices

You can see the example in the text from "2)" and "3)"

Thanks! Yes, I noticed the same. That's one of the many reasons the site as a whole isn't ready yet.

I'll fix these and the other issues over the weekend.

• Like 3
  • Clap 1

Incredible!!
I really enjoy looking at this. Honestly, I think that it's already one of the best websites that feature ancient coins that I know.
There's certainly a lot of work behind that.

I think that what is still missing is a "go back" button on the map. 

• Like 2

Congrats on nearly getting the map and timeline done! Always cool being able to visualise your collection in different ways.

Re: the timeline chart, as you mention it's not ideal for some devices yet due to the page width. One thing that helped me with scaling my own timeline chart on narrow-screen devices was putting the chart in its own container with overflow-x set to auto, that way the page itself doesn't stretch in width but the user can still easily scroll across the width of the chart 🙂

• Like 2

Congratulations on this @kirispupis! I'm having lots of  fun on the site, and learning plenty. Some of the pithy commentaries are brilliant.

eg

Among the most illustrious rulers in history, Ptolemy Keraunos is pretty far down the stack.....Ptolemy Keraunos was now persona-non-grata pretty much everywhere, but he upped the stakes by marrying his half-sister Arsinoe II, then murdering her two youngest children on their wedding day. Arsinoe, who felt this an inappropriate wedding present, fled.

• Like 1
  • Yes 1