Annoying - Wise won't accept payments to NBS

Heliodromus

I just tried to use Wise to pay for an NBS auction win, and got a popup on Wise that they can't accept payments to NBS! This is a first for me.

Now I have to ask them to reset the invoice so I can select a different payment method, and get screwed on fees. ☹️

• Like 1
  • Cry 1

I bid on several items for that auction. I was happy to pay the 3.5% credit card processing fee that made it super easy for me to pay from the US. I've skipped several European auctions because they wouldn't accept credit card payments. 

Bummer that you got screwed on fees. Hopefully your wins weren't too expensive. Mine was less than 100 Euro total so it wasn't terrible. 

• Like 1

Thanks @Furryfrog02. My lots weren't too expensive, so it's more just annoyance and the principle.

I normally use PayPal, backed by my credit card, but it depends on the auction. Wise (which appears as a bank transfer) is a good option when the auction house charges fees for credit card or PayPal. I just paid my Savoca invoice by PayPal since there was no fees and I'll get 1.5% cash back on the credit card it'll get charged to!

• Like 2

• Benefactor

Wise stating that a recipient is ineligible to receive payments has happened to me twice in the last year, both times with German dealers. I don't remember which dealer was the first one, but I ended up paying the fee to use a credit card, which was still less than the fee my bank would have charged for an international bank transfer. I asked the dealer if they knew the reason, because I had previously transferred funds to them via Wise, and they told me that they had no idea what had happened.

The second time, quite recently, was Künker, whose Deutsche Bank Osnabrück account couldn't receive payments from Wise. Fortunately, the Künker invoice gave two other bank accounts as options, and the one at Bank Sparkasse Osnabrück worked fine with Wise.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DonnaML said:

The second time, quite recently, was Künker, whose Deutsche Bank Osnabrück account couldn't receive payments from Wise. Fortunately, the Künker invoice gave two other bank accounts as options, and the one at Bank Sparkasse Osnabrück worked fine with Wise.

Interesting - restricted by account rather than recipient, or maybe an incompetent attempt to restrict by recipient.

It's not obvious why Wise would restrict transfers at all - I'm sure a bank would wire to whoever you like (within legal limits), and it'd be your loss if the recipient was a fraudster.

• Like 1