natural things to collect.....

I used to collect worldwide papiliondae/ cethosia/ charaxes/ polyura/ parnassius/ saturnidae/ ornithoptera. Sold 30 % so far/ stil have 12K set specimens. Thought show some of natures wonders for everyone to enjoy.

1/ Drawer of bhutanitis complex/ four are extinct/ thus very valuable

2/ saturnidae/ actias

3/ bilateral gynandermorph (butterfly is 50% male/ 50% female split right down the middle !

specimens are ext. rare sell for same price as common aureus.

IMG_1763.JPG

IMG_1756.JPG

IMG_1725.JPG

• Like 7
  • Heart Eyes 2
  • Mind blown 1

2 hours ago, CPK said:

Very interesting!

Where do you sell specimens like that? I suppose there are auction houses which sell such collections?

The trade in insect specimens is worldwide and very popular. There is a site/ much like sixbid called "insectnet.com" On there you can post ads for sale or want to buy/ or exchange specimens. Once you post a listing/ you receive many inquiries/ thus can sell or buy material. Jus like with coins/ there are auction houses like Droult in France that have natural history auctions/ where you can bid on fully mounted Bengal tigers to Birds of Paradise and rare bugs. I had back in 2005 around 20K set specimens/ I sold about 500K worth/ still have more then that avaliable for sale. Just like coins/ I found that I did really well/ selling stuff for 10 X what I paid. A guy I know in France has the finest coll. of ornithoptera worth 50M Euros.

These specimens of o. victoriae abberations are over 10K

95f0d4610892fbb6599b78bf948cb8e1.jpg

549dd91b4f623f0fa660e7354e7740e8.jpg

• Like 4
  • Heart Eyes 1

12 hours ago, panzerman said:

The trade in insect specimens is worldwide and very popular. There is a site/ much like sixbid called "insectnet.com" On there you can post ads for sale or want to buy/ or exchange specimens. Once you post a listing/ you receive many inquiries/ thus can sell or buy material. Jus like with coins/ there are auction houses like Droult in France that have natural history auctions/ where you can bid on fully mounted Bengal tigers to Birds of Paradise and rare bugs. I had back in 2005 around 20K set specimens/ I sold about 500K worth/ still have more then that avaliable for sale. Just like coins/ I found that I did really well/ selling stuff for 10 X what I paid. A guy I know in France has the finest coll. of ornithoptera worth 50M Euros.

These specimens of o. victoriae abberations are over 10K

95f0d4610892fbb6599b78bf948cb8e1.jpg

549dd91b4f623f0fa660e7354e7740e8.jpg

That's amazing. It's always interesting to learn about other collecting worlds. I've sometimes watched Natural History auctions from Heritage - put some bids on some fossils, etc. but always got smoked. 

• Like 1

Actually a excellent question. I just sent these off to Slovakia. I pin specimens in three boxes/ then pack them in larger box with padding material to prevent postal shock. I use plastic shopping bags. Works every time!

John

IMG_1637.JPG

IMG_1636.JPG

IMG_1635.JPG

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

They are so beautiful.

My worry for the postage would be the humidity. It must be pretty humid in Slovakia now.
Why have you decided to stop collecting them, if I may ask? Your butterflies do not look like those typically bred for collectors and decorators. And they are so pristine.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, panzerman said:

Actually a excellent question. I just sent these off to Slovakia. I pin specimens in three boxes/ then pack them in larger box with padding material to prevent postal shock. I use plastic shopping bags. Works every time!

John

IMG_1637.JPG

IMG_1636.JPG

IMG_1635.JPG

Interesting, thanks for sharing.  My first thought was that bumps or shocks would cause the wings to move and be damaged, but I guess their mass is so low you'd really need a significant impact to make them move.

Edited by gustophersmob

2 hours ago, Rand said:

They are so beautiful.

My worry for the postage would be the humidity. It must be pretty humid in Slovakia now.
Why have you decided to stop collecting them, if I may ask? Your butterflies do not look like those typically bred for collectors and decorators. And they are so pristine.

It was a hard choice/ but in order to devote more time and $$$$ to my coin hobby/ I decided to sell my butterfly/ moths. I built my collection with importance to perfect quality/ expert mounting techiques/ which makes for great eye appeal.

• Like 1