is this Heraclius SB 841? (Kyzicus)

Nerosmyfavorite68

This was another order add-in.  I like 805 and equivalent, and have a bunch of those, but I dislike the shrunken, later folles of Heraclius, and don't have many.

Heraclius-610-641-AE40nummia-Kyzicus-21mm4.87goffdeltauncyrVF-F.jpg.9d5a12b090e7b4d09da4d35646a1af4a.jpg

Heraclius, with Heraclius Constantine. 610-641. Æ Follis (21mm, 4.87g). Uncertain mint. Heraclius and Heraclius Constantine standing facing, each wearing crown and chlamys and holding globus cruciger; cross above / Large M;Δ below; [...]. Cf. SB 840 (my note, I think it's 841). Overstruck,

I was intrigued by this one.  I liked the relatively circular flan and was intrigued by the overstrike.  I think the dealer might be correct about Kyzicus, because of the style of the border.  Well-preserved vcoins examples had the same style border, which seemed to me to be a bit different than either Constantinople or Nikomedia.  However, unless I'm missing something, wouldn't it be S841, and not 840?

The missing Martina was puzzling, but is that explained by the wonky shape of the obverse border, which isn't circular?  i.e. a bad strike.

What do you think it's overstruck on?  On the reverse of the top layer, I spy a long legend, mostly unreadable, but under the M is 'NhRAP..."   Is the giant A on the obverse of the top layer officina A from the overstruck coin?  Do you think it was struck on a cut-down S805 or equivalent?  Most of the legend undertype is faint, but tracing around the circle, I think it would be too small for an 805/equivalent.

I'm not sure about the date. 

However, as relatively miserable as it is, the obverse seems to be in far above average preservation.

I looked at other 841's on vcoins, and this one was at least half a gram lighter than the lightest example, with 6 and 7 being the average.

• Like 6

That type of sharp, almost chevron style in the wreath is your dead giveaway for Cyzicus.

i think you might have an 808 on your hands based on the reverse. The monogram left of the M with ANNO above. So that’s a Constantinople before the Cyzicus.

then because of the lettering around, there is possibly even an earlier type…

quite a puzzle you have

• Like 1

Ah, many thanks!

While it's no beauty queen, it's actually quite a bit nicer than average examples.  This wild-looking coin quickly intrigued me and I made it an add-on to a patina buy.

I have very few examples of the Heraclian shrunken folles, the vast majority coming from 1990's Allen Berman junk box buys.

I also purchased a Constantine X with a really interesting flan. I'll post it when the main coin of the order arrives.

I'd have to look up the proper number but I'd like to someday find a Thessalonica equivalent of S805. They seem to be pretty scarce, rarely showing up on vcoins, far less than coins of either Seleucia or Isaura.

46 minutes ago, Nerosmyfavorite68 said:

Ah, many thanks!

While it's no beauty queen, it's actually quite a bit nicer than average examples.  This wild-looking coin quickly intrigued me and I made it an add-on to a patina buy.

I have very few examples of the Heraclian shrunken folles, the vast majority coming from 1990's Allen Berman junk box buys.

I also purchased a Constantine X with a really interesting flan. I'll post it when the main coin of the order arrives.

I'd have to look up the proper number but I'd like to someday find a Thessalonica equivalent of S805. They seem to be pretty scarce, rarely showing up on vcoins, far less than coins of either Seleucia or Isaura.

I hear you. I passed on a decent example that went for about 50 euro last week. I do know of a pretty nice one for sale on the ancient coin Facebook group for about $120. Seems like a lot for a Heraclius coin tho 

• Like 1

841 - all people on reverse seem to be the same height. 

808 - has no cross on reverse. 

Look for 836 - that has, on some copies, a taller central figure on obverse and ANNO over cross on reverse. 

It is hard to say what was before. Probably another follis of Heraclius, with ANNO on the left (O visible) and officina A?

• Like 1