My First "Wild Man" [Wilder Mann] Coin

DonnaML

I had the luck to find this medal in the Netherlands. It is a very rare one for 95 € + 7 €. I am looking now since 15 years on internet to find medals of the artist De Hondt missing in my collection , I found 2 medals and now on a month time, I bought this one and have a bod on a bronze medal of king Léopold, as presented in another treat. I am waiting the end of this month to know.

Here my new bronze Wild Man : (photos of the seller (https://haffmansantiek.nl/beloningspenning-van-de-koninklijke-school-voor-nuttige-en-beeldende-kunsten-te-s-hertogenbosch-1828.html)

Beloningspenning van de Koninklijke School voor Nuttige en Beeldende Kunsten te ’s-Hertogenbosch [1828]Beloningspenning van de Koninklijke School voor Nuttige en Beeldende Kunsten te ’s-Hertogenbosch [1828]

• Like 6

• 2 months later...
Posted (edited)
On 2/5/2024 at 4:07 AM, Rand said:

Nice coins and an interesting period of history. Are there any recommended books about the history of the Holy Roman Empire?

Hi @Rand, if you're talking about solid overviews in English, I've yet to find one.  Anecdotally, I've gone after academic histories of the Salian and Staufen dynasties, back to the 11th and 12th centuries, including a translation from the German.  Even in those narrow ranges, I've found them less than great.  My advice to you is the same I (would) give myself (if I had a  couple of extra decades to play with): Learn German!  They do history, like we just don't

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I bought (and submitted to NGC) a coin of this same date and type (see below) at the 2023 FUN show.  Like the coin below, it had some nice toning.  It came back “UNC details/cleaned”.  

I was pleased about the “UNC” part, but not so much about the “cleaned” part.  (In my non-ancient coins, I’m pretty finicky and reject stuff with any problem notations that doesn’t “straight grade” at a TPG).  So I sold that coin, nice though it was.

And subsequently ended up buying this AU55 example instead (also nicely toned- but straight-graded, no cleaning).  So I sacrificed a few grade points but got a problem-free coin.

IMG_8304.jpeg.11e674b26f3014d5d2fcd2f7967ea163.jpeg

IMG_8305.jpeg.1495b4d439b4272f2a8af0ff276b1f8b.jpeg

IMG_8306.jpeg.d15bded7ac98ea34d05717518e3f5b95.jpeg

Side note: I am from Brunswick (Georgia), which was named for the Hanoverian (Georgian) kings of England when it was settled in the 1700s.  Those same rulers of course originated in the German Brunswick (Braunschweig) lands.

Edited by lordmarcovan
  • Like 3
  • Popcorn 1
  • Heart Eyes 1