Ancient Gold Coins of Alexander the Great Found in Crete

Broucheion

Many thanks for  posting this @Broucheion. I'd  heard about the human sacrifice  there, but  not this. Amazing. I look on the  Ephorate site occasionally as there's some great stuff though  with tantalizing lack of  detail usually. Though it's  worth it just  to say "Ephorate"! To be fair, there's way more information given in Greek.

The Elis coins are  my favourite even though  gold more shiny.

As they are hoard coins from Kydonia,  I hope it's appropriate to post a hoard  coin from there of my own.

Crete. Cydonia. AR Stater, obverse die signed by Neuantos (10.75g), ca. 330 BC. Le Rider 1966, 9.18 (this coin); Svoronos 9.3. Very rare. Attractively toned. Broad flan. Usual metal flaws. 1953 Phaestus hoard (IGCH 152).

065uuugggg.jpg.76365abbc214e6cfa2844490f879771f.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

• Benefactor

It's amazing that they found them!

They're mine. I dropped them. While I wait, here's my coin from Kydonia. 

403_Full.jpg.d16b9f952fcbb7513d1aeb6e6e47c76a.jpg

Crete, Kydonia
Circa 4th century BCE
Æ 1.89g, 13mm, 9h
Young male head to left
Hound seated to right, [KY]ΔΩ around.
Svoronos, Numismatique 49; SNG Copenhagen 412

• Like 6

13 hours ago, Deinomenid said:

Many thanks for  posting this @Broucheion. I'd  heard about the human sacrifice  there, but  not this. Amazing. I look on the  Ephorate site occasionally as there's some great stuff though  with tantalizing lack of  detail usually. Though it's  worth it just  to say "Ephorate"! To be fair, there's way more information given in Greek.

The Elis coins are  my favourite even though  gold more shiny.

As they are hoard coins from Kydonia,  I hope it's appropriate to post a hoard  coin from there of my own.

Crete. Cydonia. AR Stater, obverse die signed by Neuantos (10.75g), ca. 330 BC. Le Rider 1966, 9.18 (this coin); Svoronos 9.3. Very rare. Attractively toned. Broad flan. Usual metal flaws. 1953 Phaestus hoard (IGCH 152).

065uuugggg.jpg.76365abbc214e6cfa2844490f879771f.jpg

You won that one? I think I bid on it, though it's been a bit so I can't recall. I did win the next lot so I guess we're auction buddies in a way 😀image.jpeg.ad20de963975f0ac143d2bffcefb5104.jpeg

• Like 6