Be careful when attending NYINC

savitale

I’ll write a show report later, but I wanted to remind folks to be vigilant at NYINC. Unfortunately while taking a break in the hotel lobby, during a moment of inattention my bag was stolen. They got a laptop, iPad, checkbook, and a very nice (though fortunately not extremely expensive) coin. Nothing to be done about it, but if I can perhaps prevent a similar incident by reminding folks it is a bit of consolation.

• Like 3
  • Cry 14
  • Shock 7

• Benefactor
22 minutes ago, savitale said:

I’ll write a show report later, but I wanted to remind folks to be vigilant at NYINC. Unfortunately while taking a break in the hotel lobby, during a moment of inattention my bag was stolen. They got a laptop, iPad, checkbook, and a very nice (though fortunately not extremely expensive) coin. Nothing to be done about it, but if I can perhaps prevent a similar incident by reminding folks it is a bit of consolation.

I'm very sorry that happened. I assume you'll report it. I wonder if a security camera might have caught what happened. It makes me think that there must have been thieves who knew about the NYINC and hung around the hotel lobby keeping an eye out for unattended bags, because they would have had to be wearing a photo ID to get in the show itself.

I had to remind myself frequently, while going through coins at the tables, to remember not just to dump my bag on the floor but to keep it right next to me or in front of me with at least one foot always touching it. And I kept all my purchases and cash in a passport holder around my neck, rather than in my bag.  

• Like 8

31 minutes ago, DonnaML said:

I'm very sorry that happened. I assume you'll report it. I wonder if a security camera might have caught what happened. It makes me think that there must have been thieves who knew about the NYINC and hung around the hotel lobby keeping an eye out for unattended bags, because they would have had to be wearing a photo ID to get in the show itself.

I had to remind myself frequently, while going through coins at the tables, to remember not just to dump my bag on the floor but to keep it right next to me or in front of me with at least one foot always touching it. And I kept all my purchases and cash in a passport holder around my neck, rather than in my bag.  

Smart precautions. Yes, I reported it to the hotel, police, and NYINC staff. The hotel security video actually captured the whole incident. I did not see the video myself but the security guy said it was obvious. It is frustrating that I can see the location of my iPad on Find My, but I know this is so far down on the list of things to do for NYPD that it is hopeless. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, savitale said:

That's terrible. I hope that you can get your things back!

• Like 4

• Benefactor
52 minutes ago, savitale said:

Smart precautions. Yes, I reported it to the hotel, police, and NYINC staff. The hotel security video actually captured the whole incident. I did not see the video myself but the security guy said it was obvious. It is frustrating that I can see the location of my iPad on Find My, but I know this is so far down on the list of things to do for NYPD that it is hopeless. 

You mean you know the exact address where it is right now? In the good old days in ancient Rome, you could just hire a gang of thieves armed with clubs to steal everything back. But I guess that kind of self-help is frowned upon now.

• Like 3
  • Smile 2
  • Yes 1

6 minutes ago, DonnaML said:

You mean you know the exact address where it is right now? In the good old days in ancient Rome, you could just hire a gang of thieves armed with clubs to steal everything back. But I guess that kind of self-help is frowned upon now.

Yes. 50-15 Roosevelt Ave, Woodside NY 11377 to be exact. If you happen to have a gang with clubs, feel free to dispatch.

• Like 3
  • Gasp 1
  • Smile 2

• Benefactor
13 hours ago, savitale said:

Yes. 50-15 Roosevelt Ave, Woodside NY 11377 to be exact. If you happen to have a gang with clubs, feel free to dispatch.

It's a one-story retail building that's occupied by a Rite-Aid drugstore: 

image.png.efedca9f43bd1e9cdab5b868ab4ecd7f.png

and possibly a couple of other retail premises like this orthodontist:

2016-09-12(1).jpg.97bf929de39e5399112d3b6f8e753fc4.jpg

Perhaps you should call the Rite-Aid and ask to speak to the manager. If you were actually there, could you pin down the location further?

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, DonnaML said:

Perhaps you should call the Rite-Aid and ask to speak to the manager. If you were actually there, could you pin down the location further?

Yes, if the iPad was still on. But assuming it is still in someone’s possession that could be a risky exercise. 

• Like 3

• Benefactor

I'd wait to see if it moves to a residence.

As you said, there's nothing the police will do for you, but if the IPad moves to a residence (seems like a lot of SFR in that neighborhood), then you can at least post the address. Given that, it should be possible to pull up the owner's name and (sometimes) whether it's a rental.

You're highly unlikely to get your stuff back, but you can at least publicly shame them...

Several years ago my wife and I were at a hotel in Vancouver, BC and were eating breakfast. At the table next to us, a woman had her purse on the seat. This other random woman came up and put an Hermes (or fake) scarf over the purse and tried to snatch it. My wife (who was initially intrigued by the scarf) just sharply said "you put that back!" and everyone turned to stare at both of them. The woman dropped the purse and ran for it.

The hotel told us that she was unfortunately a known thief and they send the photos to other hotels. If a security guard recognizes her, they tell her to leave.

On the positive side, the hotel gave us a free breakfast for the act...

I've never been a coin show, but I commonly carry $35k of camera equipment. The backpack straps to both shoulders and around my waist. When I sit down, I put one strap through a chair leg. If there's no chair I tie it to my leg. If I have my tripod out, I'll refuse to take any tourist's photo because I don't want to let it out of my sight. Sad, but these are necessary precautions in today's world. Once something's been stolen the police won't help.

• Like 4

• Benefactor

Sorry to hear of your loss. I've had a couple of historically related incidents of theft, one when my phone was stolen from my bag at Siwa Oasis. Another was being held up by Islamists in the town of Kom Ombo at the temple of Sobek, Hathor, Khonsu, and Haroeris. It was built by Ptolemy VI Philometer on the site of an earlier New Kingdom temple. They absconded with hundreds of Egyptian pounds representing a nice payday. These events occurred in spite of the fact that I was dressed like an Egyptian, with dark long sleeved turteneck, khakis and had no skin showing which is considered offensive no matter how hot it is. It is wise in lesser known towns to aim for this attire in order to blend in, certainly not wearing shorts, bikinis or something of that ilk which folks on the large guided tours do led by Zahi Hawass and other showmen.

Edited by Ancient Coin Hunter
  • Like 2
  • Cry 1

On 1/12/2024 at 10:46 PM, kirispupis said:

Once something's been stolen the police won't help.

Yes, you are right about this. I actually went back the next day to this address to see if perhaps some of the the items had been abandoned. I filed a police report with this information, they said they entered the serial numbers of the iPad and laptop in a database and will let me know if they turn up somewhere. They had no way of entering the coin into anything other than the police report. 🤦‍♂️ NYPD at its finest.

"My phone (not stolen) received a ping from the iPad’s Find My app at about 9pm that night at address 50-15 Roosevelt Ave, Woodside NY 11377. I went to this location the next day, Saturday January 13. It is a Rite Aid parking lot. I spent quite some time (several hours) walking around the parking lot and surrounding streets to confirm that the signal was strongest in the vicinity of this black Mitsubishi Lancer [photo inserted], NY plates XXX-XXXX.  Note that at least according to publicly available databases this license plate does not belong to this vehicle but instead to a Nissan Sentra. Essentially all the other cars came and left the parking lot, but this car remained parked for the entire time I was there, several hours. It clearly did not belong to a customer. The Find My signal never moved from this location. The car windows are tinted extremely dark so it was essentially impossible to see inside the vehicle."

• Like 1
  • Gasp 2

• Benefactor
30 minutes ago, savitale said:

Yes, you are right about this. I actually went back the next day to this address to see if perhaps some of the the items had been abandoned. I filed a police report with this information, they said they entered the serial numbers of the iPad and laptop in a database and will let me know if they turn up somewhere. They had no way of entering the coin into anything other than the police report. 🤦‍♂️ NYPD at its finest.

"My phone (not stolen) received a ping from the iPad’s Find My app at about 9pm that night at address 50-15 Roosevelt Ave, Woodside NY 11377. I went to this location the next day, Saturday January 13. It is a Rite Aid parking lot. I spent quite some time (several hours) walking around the parking lot and surrounding streets to confirm that the signal was strongest in the vicinity of this black Mitsubishi Lancer [photo inserted], NY plates XXX-XXXX.  Note that at least according to publicly available databases this license plate does not belong to this vehicle but instead to a Nissan Sentra. Essentially all the other cars came and left the parking lot, but this car remained parked for the entire time I was there, several hours. It clearly did not belong to a customer. The Find My signal never moved from this location. The car windows are tinted extremely dark so it was essentially impossible to see inside the vehicle."

If I knew how to get into a locked car without drawing attention to it, I would have been very tempted.

• Big Smile 1

• Benefactor
On 1/15/2024 at 7:36 AM, DonnaML said:

If I knew how to get into a locked car without drawing attention to it, I would have been very tempted.

Or if I couldn't, and the signal was undoubtedly coming from there, I would have settled with puncturing the tires. If the police aren't going to do anything, might as well go full circle. 🙂 

Disclaimer: the above is a joke

• Smile 1