Germany (Wurttemburg): ca. 1904 silver klippe, Stuttgart Numismatic Association, "Happy New Year"

lordmarcovan

Germany (Wurttemburg): ca. 1904 silver klippe, Stuttgart Numismatic Association, "Happy New Year"

image.png.1fdae067b07e5d2d433cf96df415010f.png

Obverse: Veduta (city view) of Stuttgart.
Reverse: Prosit / Neujahr (Happy New Year) in two lines below radiant star; N. V. ST. (Numismatischen Vereinigung Stuttgart) in exergue.
Issuer: Stuttgart Numismatic Association.
Specifications: silver klippe, specimen (special strike), 20x20 mm. Undated (1904).
Grade: PCGS SP64, cert #39720497.
Reference: PCGS #823109.
Provenance: ex-Dennis Semisalov ("ddddd" on CoinTalk). Prior provenance to Stacks Bowers World Collectors Choice Online Auction, Lot 73526, 24 February 2021.*
Notes: Quoting the Stacks Bowers description: "A rather attractive, unusual, and fairly SCARCE medal that is part of a series of holiday klippes issued by the association there."
Comments: The intricate cityscape, square klippe shape, attractive toning, and semi-prooflike luster drew me to this piece.

image.png.60956f3e5020a12d95865587477378bb.png

image.png.80cbd2eddc71d45daa1a414126a4cba2.png

image.png.bbf96dc5fa80c6217d91955dfb4f4d01.png

• Like 5
  • Heart Eyes 2
  • Mind blown 1

Very cool piece. Sadly most of Stuttgart was destroyed in WW2 but the old church and castle you see on the coin are still present today, albeit most likely heavily restored. Of the latter, its hosts the Wurttemberg state museum which I almost always visit when I am in town.

Funny that you should have posted this, I just returned from celebrating my News Years there.

Edited by TheTrachyEnjoyer
  • Like 1