(Completely off-topic, for your amusement): my weirdest guest request ever!

lordmarcovan

(Forgive me if this is stretching the parameters of this "General" forum a bit too far.)

After 36 years in the resort hotel business, tonight I got what is probably my most bizarre guest request ever.

A lady wanted me to roll her car in toilet paper in the middle of the night!

Apparently she’d told her kids some story about elves, and recruited me to perform some elfin mischief. So I complied. (Why elves would roll cars in TP, I did not ask.)

“Rolling” someone’s car was actually a new experience for me, as I had been a relatively well behaved youth in my teenaged years, when one is supposed to do that sort of stuff. I never got up to any hijinks like that.

Side note: elves have gotten considerably worse since I was a kid, it seems. When MY mother told us elf stories, we’d find fun little presents hidden in the old hollow cedar tree, not TP on the car. :rolleyes:😕

D0C6039E-D7F7-4301-AC2C-A0466AF1DD67.jpeg.4817d1837078ef9afbde4ac231018670.jpeg

Edited by lordmarcovan
  • Like 2
  • Smile 6
  • Laugh 7
  • Confused 1

I see three possibilities here but for your own confort I hope it's the 1st

- the lady tells some ... revolutionary stories to her kids. And yes, the whole Christmas stuff has changed a lot since I was a kid. Note - here is a coin with Santa Claus, to have this topic more relevant to numismatics:

image.png.fcab026ae5d1211ce2b42c059fe5d752.png

- option 2 - in fact the lady wants to surprise her husband, and not in the nicest way. A revenge for something. So instead of her rolling the TP herself she made up a nice story. 

- option 3 - she wanted to play a prank on somebody else and that's not even her car. 

To be honest with you, if I wanted to play a prank on someone, I would consider options 2 and 3. 

Edited by ambr0zie
  • Smile 2
  • Laugh 1

That's a first!  TP's also become a lot more expensive than it was, pre-covid.  I have about a 20 year supply, so I lost track of price increases.

I'm sure your hotels are eons better than the ones Dan Bell went to in his series, Another Dirty Room.  "Oh, no!", he'd squeal as bedbugs come pouring out of some hideous 1970's mattress.

7 minutes ago, ambr0zie said:

I see three possibilities here but for your own confort I hope it's the 1st

- the lady tells some ... revolutionary stories to her kids. And yes, the whole Christmas stuff has changed a lot since I was a kid. Note - here is a coin with Santa Claus, to have this topic more relevant to numismatics:

image.png.fcab026ae5d1211ce2b42c059fe5d752.png

- option 2 - in fact the lady wants to surprise her husband, and not in the nicest way. A revenge for something. So instead of her rolling the TP herself she made up a nice story. 

- option 3 - she want to do a prank to somebody else and that's not even her car. 

To be honest with you, if I wanted to play a prank on someone, I would consider options 2 and 3. 

Or, Option 4- the cops or another guest saw me doing the deed, which would not have been a good thing!

I made sure I got very clear information on which car to roll, so I wouldn't do the wrong one!  And I waited until 4:00 AM.

Yes, Options 2 and 3 did come to mind.

And I thought about refusing her request for those very reasons.  Other guests have tried to recruit me as an accomplice in their pranks before, and I've only complied once or twice, on the most harmless ones.  Generally I will refuse these kinds of requests, but I believed her this particular time.  And if she was pranking ME, and that WAS someone else's car, the repercussions will be mild enough.

Edited by lordmarcovan

Still wonder why didn't the lady "ornament" the car herself, if this was done at 4 AM. Could have waited until the children fell asleep. Perhaps this is some people's idea of hotel extra service 😐

Don't get me wrong, I consider myself to be a man with a good sense of humor (sometimes a sick sense of humor) but yes, if this innocent joke was seen by the police or other people who could have called the police.... 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ambr0zie said:

Still wonder why didn't the lady "ornament" the car herself, if this was done at 4 AM. Could have waited until the children fell asleep. Perhaps this is some people's idea of hotel extra service 😐

Don't get me wrong, I consider myself to be a man with a good sense of humor (sometimes a sick sense of humor) but yes, if this innocent joke was seen by the police or other people who could have called the police.... 

Yep.  Valid point.  And she definitely could have gone outside when they were asleep, and done the job herself.

In retrospect, I probably should have refused upon the grounds of our professional standards (though that might sound stuffy).

Next time I'm asked to be an accomplice in a prank, I'll say no.  She just caught me in an indulgent mood.

That would have to be a very sleepy town for the police to get involved. What’s the charge? Even if it was someone else’s car (which the lady can disprove just by opening it) it would take a few seconds to take the paper off.

Now her children are going to have doubt in their minds about not believing in elves. Good job!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Steppenfool said:

https://elfontheshelf.com/blog/elfontheshelf-101/

I imagine it's this. As far as I'm aware, the tradition has extended so that the Elf on the Shelf gets up to mischief in the middle of the night that is found in the morning.

I believe that's the culprit, yes.  Our daughter was grown up by the time this Elf on the Shelf business got started, so I'm not fully up to speed with it.  But as I recall, the TP-car lady did mention something about that.

Our hotel General Manager responded to that photo with an LOL and asked if it made me feel like a kid to do that.  So I guess everything's cool with management.  Whew.

• Like 1