Looking for a photo from Pegasi e-137, lot 344

Roman Collector

• Benefactor

I don't have it. I have a lot of their paper catalogs (waiting to be scanned) but not the e-sales Maybe try Jess or Nick at Spartan....they were formerly directors/catalogers at Pegasi.

Meet our staff | Spartan Numismatics (spartan-numismatics.com)

(If the e-sale images and text still exist in some form I wonder if they'd be amenable to creating a free archive for future generations ... I'd be happy to help...)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, rNumis said:

I don't have it. I have a lot of their paper catalogs (waiting to be scanned) but not the e-sales Maybe try Jess or Nick at Spartan....they were formerly directors/catalogers at Pegasi.

Meet our staff | Spartan Numismatics (spartan-numismatics.com)

(If the e-sale images and text still exist in some form I wonder if they'd be amenable to creating a free archive for future generations ... I'd be happy to help...)

Thanks!!

• Like 1

• Benefactor
7 hours ago, KenDorney said:

Just use the Wayback Machine.  You can search a website historically and see what was where and when:

https://web.archive.org/web/20030315000000*/http://sep11.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Memoriam

Interesting and looks like it could be useful! Thanks for the pointer to this site.

Sadly, for Pegasi it seems they (the wayback machine) didn't index everything. I used this snapshot: Pegasi Numismatics (archive.org) 

I do get to see top-level pages and links (better than nothing) but go much further (eg look for an archived auction or coin) and I very quickly get:

Hrm.

The Wayback Machine has not archived that URL.

I will play around some more, but maybe someone will have better luck on the wayback machine with Pegasi.

Edited by rNumis
  • Like 1
  • Cry 1

Some of the Pegasi e-auctions were held on VAuctions.  You could try doing a search using VAuctions' "advanced search" function, with the Archived Auctions (prior to September 2022) button selected. VAuctions has their own numbering system for Auctions so searching using Pegasi's auction number (137) doesn't work. Instead, try searching with the lot number and an appropriate keyword.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ACCLA-Mike said:

Some of the Pegasi e-auctions were held on VAuctions.  You could try doing a search using VAuctions' "advanced search" function, with the Archived Auctions (prior to September 2022) button selected. VAuctions has their own numbering system for Auctions so searching using Pegasi's auction number (137) doesn't work. Instead, try searching with the lot number and an appropriate keyword.

I tried that with a variety of search terms before posting here and it came up empty. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, rNumis said:

While I didn't find e137, this was a prompt, at least, to populate some of the other Pegasi auctions...I had almost nothing so far. This is what I've tracked down:

rNumis » Auctions of Pegasi

If anyone knows of any other Pegasi sales online, let me know and I'll add links.

Cheers

Thanks! That will be helpful for other Pegasi auctions. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, rNumis said:

If anyone knows of any other Pegasi sales online, let me know and I'll add links.

I don't know of any other sales.

The ANS library holds 75 catalogs.  The catalogs aren't online, but the auction date and number of lots is available.

https://donum.numismatics.org/cgi-bin/koha/opac-search.pl?q=an:43

The Fitzwilliam doesn't tell you as much, but they do say some things that aren't in the ANS library catalog.

https://www.fitzmuseum.cam.ac.uk/dept/coins/library/salescatalogue/SALECO-R.html

I don't know if your system allows you to show metadata about a firm beyond their city and state, but it can be helpful to have this information when researching.

• Like 2

• Benefactor
11 minutes ago, Ed Snible said:

I don't know if your system allows you to show metadata about a firm beyond their city and state, but it can be helpful to have this information when researching.

The metadata for an auction firm is pretty minimal but could easily be extended. What do you have in mind?

Thanks for the links. Fitzwilliam and donum are my go-tos for auction numbers/dates and extended info. Both invaluable.

The Pegasi entries I added just now are just those with online sales...hopefully useful to other people, but also place-holders for me while I think about archiving the information that those sales contain. For earlier Pegasi sales, I do have some physical catalogs too, but I haven't got around to scanning them yet.

• Like 3

Steve:

There is some overlap but there are a few more Pegasi Auctions that are not on your list that were hosted on Agora and that are still available in their archives. Agora don't have direct links from their home page so I don't how stable the URLs will be in the future but you can see the list of available auctions on the right hand side:

https://agoraauctions.com/pegasi/auction_archive

Also, they have a few archived Spartan auctions, also run by Pegasi:

https://agoraauctions.com/spartan/auction_archive

I really appreciate your work on this, I find your well-ordered links to catalogs incredibly useful.

Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...