I know what this is. But can you figure it out?

ValiantKnight

I knew in my gut this had to be a rare one (a Byzantine-style forward facing obverse paired with the Victory dragging reverse from earlier AE4 types) but I was stumped as to the attribution, until I reached out for help and found out what it is. But I thought we could have a bit of fun with this one and have you all try to find the ruler and attribution. I'll give it a few days until revealing what it is.

???, Roman/Byzantine Empire

AE4/nummus

Obv: helmeted, cuirassed bust facing. holding spear

Rev: Victory dragging captive

Mint: ???

Mintmark: ???

Date: ???

Reference: ???

VKcoin.jpg.97a64d06d8670a5da31e1703c7ca272b.jpg

• Like 9

Yep, @shanxi nailed it I think. (Maybe next time we should ask for answers by pm only?)  Great score, @ValiantKnight!!  

Is Nicomedia the only mint for this type?  Since you asked for the mint, and that's all that's listed in acsearch,  I'm guessing yes.

You forgot to ask for us to post related coins.  I'm sure you meant to so I will go ahead because I'm like that.  😄  Here's my Zeno AE4.  I had the mint figured out at some point but I can't find my notes now.  Could well be Nicomedia:

image.jpeg.010e755597782677b032da605e8349ca.jpeg

A common coin but in uncommon condition.

• Like 4

That was quick! Great job @shanxi

The attribution is as follows

Zeno, Eastern Roman Empire
AE nummus
Obv: [D N ZINOS] P F AV, helmeted, pearl-diademed, draped, cuirassed bust facing, holding spear over right shoulder and shield
Rev: Victory advancing left, facing right, holding wreath and dragging captive, [NIC] in ex.
Date: 476-491 AD
Mint: Nicomedia 
Ref: RIC 952

1 hour ago, Severus Alexander said:

(Maybe next time we should ask for answers by pm only?)

Perhaps. I figure the coin was worn and obscure enough to be somewhat of a challenge but I guess I was wrong! 

Is Nicomedia the only mint for this type?

I only have access to internet sources but from what I've seen is that, yes, Nicomedia seems to be the only mint for RIC 952. It certainly is a scarce/rare type. Mine was mistakenly listed as a coin of Justin I. I couldn't remember if I actually came across this type before but it did seem kind of familiar, but I was also considering the possibility of a contemporary imitation or a downright modern fake/fantasy piece. I asked my collecting friend who was able to recognize it as Zeno, and so I went ahead and bought it. Cheaply too (about $20 shipped).

You forgot to ask for us to post related coins.  I'm sure you meant to so I will go ahead because I'm like that.  😄  Here's my Zeno AE4.  I had the mint figured out at some point but I can't find my notes now.  Could well be Nicomedia:

image.jpeg.010e755597782677b032da605e8349ca.jpeg

Where are my manners lol? 😄 Anyone is invited to post anything relevant! And great example!

Edited by ValiantKnight
  • Thanks 1