Iceberg of Ancient Numismatics.

JayAg47

My bottom monster of the abyss beneath the iceberg area is populated with: imitations of imitations of the denarii tornesi on the Danube, Giacomo Badoer, Zibaldone da Canal, imitations of Nicola di Monforte, Giacomo Montagano, Congiura dei Baroni, GV PRINCEPS, Kinnloser typ, Sattelkopfpferd, Theos Megas at Tyras, cast copper provincial imitations from Durostorum area in mid 3rd century, Late Roman consulships on coins, tesserae mercantile from Vadum Iacob, the full dossier of everything ever published by Julian Baker.

Edited by seth77
  • Like 5

I know any list like this is subject to personal opinion and biases...but a Colosseum sestertius (the second highest ranked roman coin on Harlan Berk's top 100 list) ranked along with Roman coins from Sri Lanka and an Otho coin ranks the same as tooled specimens? Stunning, to be honest. 

I'm curious about the criteria.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, David Atherton said:

I know any list like this is subject to personal opinion and biases...but a Colosseum sestertius (the second highest ranked roman coin on Harlan Berk's top 100 list) ranked along with Roman coins from Sri Lanka and an Otho coin ranks the same as tooled specimens? Stunning, to be honest. 

I'm curious about the criteria.

It's absolutely just my view and not the actual worth of the coins, If I were a billionaire and happened buy all the coins listed, I'd place them in this order. Also the list is based on popularity, their availability, and their cost. A Colosseum sestertius may be one of the most popular coins, but it's neither common nor cheap. This meme is not about what gets grouped together, but at what level.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JayAg47 said:

It's absolutely just my view and not the actual worth of the coins, If I were a billionaire and happened buy all the coins listed, I'd place them in this order. Also the list is based on popularity, their availability, and their cost. A Colosseum sestertius may be one of the most popular coins, but it's neither common nor cheap. This meme is not about what gets grouped together, but at what level.

Ok, got it. What do the different tiers equate to?

1 hour ago, David Atherton said:

Ok, got it. What do the different tiers equate to?

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/iceberg-tiers-parodies

Basically, as someone said on reddit, "The idea is the entire image represents ALL knowledge about a subject. From there, parts of the iceberg are organized into "tiers" to categorize the knowledge. A common categorization is to organize information from top-to-bottom in order from "what most people know" to "fringe, unproven conspiracy theories". This makes sense for the iceberg metaphor: the tip of an iceberg is the part you can see from a ship. Most people also know that a big part of the iceberg is underwater. But only people with very specialized equipment can actually go into the ocean and see just how deep an iceberg is to get the whole picture". So as you dive deep, the level of nicheness or knowledge about the subject narrows, from broad popular groups at the surface level to the obscure and downright dark subjects towards the abyss. 

Edited by JayAg47
  • Like 2

Nice idea @JayAg47 and interesting to see what your iceberg looks like! 😄

You inspired me to create my personal one. I assume that every person has their own iceberg when it concerns ancient coin collecting.
For me, the different tiers represent special ideas around Roman coin collecting that I encountered and how difficult they seem to me.

image.jpeg.46016006f865238751a2469d2d9d34c7.jpeg

Edited by Salomons Cat
  • Like 2
  • Smile 2
  • Yes 1
  • Laugh 6

Hey, what's the issue with severed heads on coins?! If you're otherwise into medieval coins, everything with a catalog entry and a halfway sensible date and attribution appears pretty close to the surface...

RomischeRepublikRRC2851DenarSergiusSilusReitermitKopf.png.ccd2b64d7e2049c31e867478583d4601.png

Roman Republic, moneyer: M. Sergius Silus, AR denarius, 116–115 BC, Rome mint. Obv: EX·S·C ROMA; helmeted head of Roma, r., denominational mark X. Rev: Q M·SERGI SILVS; one-armed horseman (Marcus Sergius Silus) l., holding sword and severed head in l. hand. 17mm, 2.84g. RRC RRC 286/1.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Ursus said:

Hey, what's the issue with severed heads on coins?! If you're otherwise into medieval coins, everything with a catalog entry and a halfway sensible date and attribution appears pretty close to the surface...

RomischeRepublikRRC2851DenarSergiusSilusReitermitKopf.png.ccd2b64d7e2049c31e867478583d4601.png

Roman Republic, moneyer: M. Sergius Silus, AR denarius, 116–115 BC, Rome mint. Obv: EX·S·C ROMA; helmeted head of Roma, r., denominational mark X. Rev: Q M·SERGI SILVS; one-armed horseman (Marcus Sergius Silus) l., holding sword and severed head in l. hand. 17mm, 2.84g. RRC RRC 286/1.

Wow, that head looks angry!

• Benefactor
19 hours ago, JayAg47 said:

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/iceberg-tiers-parodies

Basically, as someone said on reddit, "The idea is the entire image represents ALL knowledge about a subject. From there, parts of the iceberg are organized into "tiers" to categorize the knowledge. A common categorization is to organize information from top-to-bottom in order from "what most people know" to "fringe, unproven conspiracy theories". This makes sense for the iceberg metaphor: the tip of an iceberg is the part you can see from a ship. Most people also know that a big part of the iceberg is underwater. But only people with very specialized equipment can actually go into the ocean and see just how deep an iceberg is to get the whole picture". So as you dive deep, the level of nicheness or knowledge about the subject narrows, from broad popular groups at the surface level to the obscure and downright dark subjects towards the abyss. 

Thanks for the explanation. I stared at your iceberg for a while, but for the life of me couldn't figure out what the different levels were supposed to mean!

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
  • Clap 1