Stunned! But very happy!

panzerman

Just for **** of it/ I put down a proxy bid knowing that I had ZERO chance of winning coin.

Coin in question....

Western Roman Empire

AV Solidus ND Roma Mint

4.39g.      21mm.     5h

graded 01 (Norwegian= AU-MS

Libius Severus III 461-65 under German General Ricimer

Rosette-diademed/ draped & cuirassed Bust R

DN LIBIVS SEVE  RVS PF AVG

Emperor in Military Dress/ standing on Man-Headed Serpent/ holding Victoria on Globe & Long Jeweled Cross

R-M in Field/ COMOB in exergue

VICTORI A AVGGG

RIC X 2704    Depeyrot  52/1  Lacam 59    Sear 21597

Sold 45000 NKR = 3900US

Please add you examples from this little known Emperor  

4f94f651-279f-4e9f-a9cd-901b84173912_fullsize.jpg

• Like 24
  • Clap 1
  • Heart Eyes 12
  • Mind blown 2

28 minutes ago, panzerman said:

Just for **** of it/ I put down a proxy bid knowing that I had ZERO chance of winning coin.

GRATULATION!

Damned - at Sixbid the Auction start was 15:30 German Time, but thats in Norway 14:30 ... I had the Libius Severus on my Wantlist and want bid live - know I see your win. And know after your post I opened the Oslo Website and see - that all the Lots I want bid live will passed. Fantastic day 😄 

But, really, Gratulation for that coin! A fantastic win.
I now go into the basement, find a rusty nail and a hammer - and hammer the nail into my kneecap.

Edited by Prieure de Sion
  • Like 1
  • Big Smile 3
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Laugh 1
  • Smile 3

1 hour ago, panzerman said:

Coin in question....

Western Roman Empire

AV Solidus ND Roma Mint

4.39g.      21mm.     5h

Emperor in Military Dress/ standing on Man-Headed Serpent/ holding Victoria on Globe & Long Jeweled Cross

VICTORI A AVGGG

Sold 45000 NKR = 3900US

Amazing - I am not expecting a lot of NF posts of similar coins ☺️ congrats @panzerman  It is the power behind the throne that I find interesting with this coin: Ricimer, son of the chief of the Suebi & a Visigoth princess (daughter of Wallia, King of the Visigoths, 415-418 AD).  Appointed by Leo I as Patrician and Master of the Soldiers.  The power behind four western emperors Majorian (457-461 AD), Libius Severus (461-465 AD), Anthemius (467-472 AD), and Olybrius (472AD).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, panzerman said:

Coin in question....

Western Roman Empire

AV Solidus ND Roma Mint

4.39g.      21mm.     5h

VICTORI A AVGGG

Sold 45000 NKR = 3900US

John, congrats on scoring this major rarity 🤩! There appears to be a long test cut on the reverse of the coin obviously made by a suspicious recipient in ancient times 😏.

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

I have an Anthemius, but no Libius Severus.  Congratulations, @panzerman!!   I had a throw-away proxy bid on a really nice Justinian solidus win at the opening bid earlier this year.  I only placed the bid to follow the coin to see what it would bring at auction, never expecting my low bid to win.  A very pleasant surprise;   but your win is a real coup.  

• Like 1

Just got back from another day of cleaning up leaves/ Thank God for Stihl Magnum 800 leafblower!!!!! I was not sure whem my lots would come up. I got up at 6:30 to prepare for work. Went down to basement to check site on my computer. My lot was still behind 75 other coins before mine. So I made myself coffee and sat down for breakfast/ four cinnamon buns later I went down to check on auction progress. To my surprise/ 70 coins had gone under the hammer in 20 mins.! I sat down and was prepared to get clobbered/ to my amazement/ coin was hammered in 15 secs/ my bid (0pening price) had no competitors. I then remembered that I had another bid on a Spanish Netherlands/ Brabant AV Lion d'or 1657/ Brussels Mint/ Philip IV. Just checked I won that coin too for starting bid! So a really great day on leaf warfront/ and a much more fun one on auction front. I will bid in all their future events.😍

With other auctions/ Heritage/ Stack's/ CNG it seems their auctioneers really drag things out causing a frenzied bidding process.

John

• Like 4