Jump to content

Philip II Tetradrachm, McAlee 1033a, Prieur 401


Al Kowsky

Recommended Posts

Yesterday the only lot I won from CNG E-Auction 550 arrived, a handsome left-facing tetradrachm from Antioch, Syria. Most of the left-facing tetradrachms from Antioch are scarce to extremely rare, but sometimes they can be won at a reasonable price from E-Auctions.

CNG550lot420_2.jpg.863e6bcd7e2ebc23dcd050c207950984.jpg

SYRIA-ANTIOCH. Philip II, AD 247-249 (struck AD 247). Billon Tetradrachm: 13.92 gm, 26.65 mm, 7 h. Obverse: Radiate bust of Philip, cuirassed & facing left, aegis on cuirass. Reverse: Eagle with spread wings facing left, wreath in beak. Rare. McAlee 1033a; Prieur 401. Ex Andre Ronde Collection.

For comparison the coin pictured below I won at auction 4 years ago.

Prieur402AMcAlee1032bAWKCollection.jpg.6514fe83648e145dc416a3dd5c8ce838.jpg

SYRIA-ANTIOCH. Philip II, AD 247-249 (struck AD 247). Billon Tetradrachm: 12.23 gm, 25.5 gm, 6 h. Obverse: Radiate bust of Philip, cuirassed & facing left, no aegis on cuirass. Reverse: Eagle with spread wings facing right, wreath in beak. Ex. Rare. Prieur 402A (this coin & the only one cited); McAlee 1032b, the McAlee example pictured is a different coin.

For comparison the coin pictured below depicts Philip as Caesar, a coin I won at auction 8 years ago.

PhilipIIadj..jpg.085aa0726e13a897568b030aeab021b0.jpg

SYRIA-ANTIOCH. Philip II as Caesar, AD 244-247, (struck AD 244). Billon Tetradrachm: 11.68 gm, 25.4 mm, 6 h. Obverse: Bare headed bust of Philip, draped & cuirassed & facing left. Reverse: Front facing eagle with head left, standing on palm branch, wreath in beak. McAlee die pair 1011 / 1010. Ex Rare & possibly unique. 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 10
  • Heart Eyes 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Beautiful coin Al. Congratulations! That is a very artistic portrait.

Mine is a right facing portrait but is still a coin I value highly!

Philip_II_Antioch_Tet.jpeg.af0d6065c2b790a2e0cd57b66735ba86.jpeg
Philip II 
AR Tetradrachm, Antioch mint, AD 248
Dia.: 27 mm
Wt.: 12.5 g
Obv.: ΑΥΤΟΚ Κ Μ ΙΟΥΛΙ ΦΙΛΙΠΠΟC CΕΒ, Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust of Philippus II right
Rev.: ΔHΜΑΡX ΕΞΟΥCΙΑC ΥΠΑΤΟΔ, Eagle standing right, holding a wreath in beak. ANTIOXIA / SC in exergue
Ref.: BMC 551, Prieur 474
Ex Qcumbor Collection; 2021 Saturnalia gift

  • Like 10
  • Yes 1
  • Clap 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nice coins. All these  tetradrachms are typically in such a good condition that they are unlikely to have been circulated a long time. 

 

 

I can add Price 466

Philippus_II_05.jpg.a398cdd8a5bc985c89fe63419f9554d6.jpg

Philippus II.
Syria, Antiochia
Billon tetradrachm
Obv.: AYTOK K M IOYΛI ΦIΛIΠΠOC CEB, Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right
Rev.: ΔHMAPX EΞOYCIAC YΠATO Δ. Eagle standing head left, holding wreath in beak, ANTIOXIA SC
Ref.: McAlee 1045, Prieur 466
Billon, 11.79g, 25.9mm

 

  • Like 11
  • Yes 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Philippus family has very beautiful tetradrachms in terms of style - you can collect beautiful pieces here.

 

Marcus Iulius Severus Philippus II CaesarTetradrachm of the Roman Imperial Period 244 AD; Material: Billon Silver; Diameter: 27mm; Weight: 11.50g; Mint: Antiochia ad Orontem, Syria; Reference: Prieur 332, McAlee 1008, RPC VIII Online Unassigned ID 29197; Obverse: Bareheaded, draped and cuirassed bust of Philippus II Caesar to right, seen from behind. The Inscription reads: MAP IOYΛI ΦIΛIΠΠOC KЄCAP for Marcos Ioulios Philippos Kaisaros (Marcus Iulius Philippus Caesar); Reverse: Eagle standing facing on palm branch, head left and tail right, with wings spread, holding wreath in beak; S C in exergue. The Inscription reads: ΔHMAPX ЄΞOYCIAC for Demarchos exousia, Senatus Consulto (Invested with the Tribunician Power, by decree of the Senate).
 

TETRAP332.jpg.70a188985f5c84a41d4617de0299f035.jpg

 

 

Marcus Iulius Severus Philippus II CaesarTetradrachm of the Roman Imperial Period 248 AD; Material: Silver; Diameter: 26.5mm; Weight: 13.18g; Mint: Antiochia ad Orontem, Syria; Reference: Prieur 406 (10 ex.), RPC VIII 29011, McAlee 1038a; Obverse: Laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust left. The Inscription reads: AYTOK K M IOYΛI ΦΙΛΙΠΠΟC CEB for Autokratoros Kaisaros Markos Ioulios Filippos Sebastos (Imperator Caesar Marcus Iulius Philippus Augustus); Reverse: Eagle, wings displayed, standing right, holding wreath in beak; in exergue, ANTIOXIA/S C in two lines. The Inscription reads: ΔHMAΡX ЄΞOVCIAC VΠA TO Γ for Demarchos exousia Hypatos to Gamma, Antiochia, Senatus Consulto (Invested with the Tribunician Power, Consul of the 3rd time, Antiochia, by decree of the Senate).
 

PHIPRIEUR406.jpg.a2ceb47f8acc64241893093d670841c6.jpg

  • Like 10
  • Shock 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Curtisimo said:

Beautiful coin Al. Congratulations! That is a very artistic portrait.

Mine is a right facing portrait but is still a coin I value highly!

Philip_II_Antioch_Tet.jpeg.af0d6065c2b790a2e0cd57b66735ba86.jpeg
Philip II 
AR Tetradrachm, Antioch mint, AD 248
Dia.: 27 mm
Wt.: 12.5 g
Obv.: ΑΥΤΟΚ Κ Μ ΙΟΥΛΙ ΦΙΛΙΠΠΟC CΕΒ, Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust of Philippus II right
Rev.: ΔHΜΑΡX ΕΞΟΥCΙΑC ΥΠΑΤΟΔ, Eagle standing right, holding a wreath in beak. ANTIOXIA / SC in exergue
Ref.: BMC 551, Prieur 474
Ex Qcumbor Collection; 2021 Saturnalia gift

That's a handsome coin for a late issue & a wonderful gift to receive ☺️!

  • Smile 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, shanxi said:

Nice coins. All these  tetradrachms are typically in such a good condition that they are unlikely to have been circulated a long time. 

 

 

I can add Price 466

Philippus_II_05.jpg.a398cdd8a5bc985c89fe63419f9554d6.jpg

Philippus II.
Syria, Antiochia
Billon tetradrachm
Obv.: AYTOK K M IOYΛI ΦIΛIΠΠOC CEB, Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right
Rev.: ΔHMAPX EΞOYCIAC YΠATO Δ. Eagle standing head left, holding wreath in beak, ANTIOXIA SC
Ref.: McAlee 1045, Prieur 466
Billon, 11.79g, 25.9mm

 

Although your coin is a common late issue, it's an unusually choice example perfectly centered, struck on a round planchet, & is in mint state ☺️! You also raise a good point, "they are unlikely to have circulated a long time." Realizing the strength of King Shapur, Philip I made a hasty & embarrassing peace treaty with the Persians, so much of these coins that were meant to fund the ongoing war with the Persians ended up in buried hoards. Many of these hoards must have been unearthed in modern times much to the delight of collectors 😉.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Prieure de Sion said:

The Philippus family has very beautiful tetradrachms in terms of style - you can collect beautiful pieces here.

 

Marcus Iulius Severus Philippus II CaesarTetradrachm of the Roman Imperial Period 244 AD; Material: Billon Silver; Diameter: 27mm; Weight: 11.50g; Mint: Antiochia ad Orontem, Syria; Reference: Prieur 332, McAlee 1008, RPC VIII Online Unassigned ID 29197; Obverse: Bareheaded, draped and cuirassed bust of Philippus II Caesar to right, seen from behind. The Inscription reads: MAP IOYΛI ΦIΛIΠΠOC KЄCAP for Marcos Ioulios Philippos Kaisaros (Marcus Iulius Philippus Caesar); Reverse: Eagle standing facing on palm branch, head left and tail right, with wings spread, holding wreath in beak; S C in exergue. The Inscription reads: ΔHMAPX ЄΞOYCIAC for Demarchos exousia, Senatus Consulto (Invested with the Tribunician Power, by decree of the Senate).
 

TETRAP332.jpg.70a188985f5c84a41d4617de0299f035.jpg

 

 

Marcus Iulius Severus Philippus II CaesarTetradrachm of the Roman Imperial Period 248 AD; Material: Silver; Diameter: 26.5mm; Weight: 13.18g; Mint: Antiochia ad Orontem, Syria; Reference: Prieur 406 (10 ex.), RPC VIII 29011, McAlee 1038a; Obverse: Laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust left. The Inscription reads: AYTOK K M IOYΛI ΦΙΛΙΠΠΟC CEB for Autokratoros Kaisaros Markos Ioulios Filippos Sebastos (Imperator Caesar Marcus Iulius Philippus Augustus); Reverse: Eagle, wings displayed, standing right, holding wreath in beak; in exergue, ANTIOXIA/S C in two lines. The Inscription reads: ΔHMAΡX ЄΞOVCIAC VΠA TO Γ for Demarchos exousia Hypatos to Gamma, Antiochia, Senatus Consulto (Invested with the Tribunician Power, Consul of the 3rd time, Antiochia, by decree of the Senate).
 

PHIPRIEUR406.jpg.a2ceb47f8acc64241893093d670841c6.jpg

Those are two magnificent gems 🤩! The Series 1 example of Philip II as Caesar has an unusually fine portrait, & your example of McAlee 1038a is breathtaking 😮, it may be the finest known example 😉.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Ancient Coin Hunter said:

Great tetradrachms all. These coins must have circulated widely in the East.

Your comment is right on 😉. Hundreds of millions of tetradrachms were hammered from over 30 different mints beginning with emperor Caracalla, when it became clear that the destruction of the Persian Empire was a Roman goal. Caracalla made it clear that these coins would be legal tender throughout the Roman East when he issued the "4 Eparchies" tetradrachms like the coin pictured below. He made sure that the mints would take earlier issues, melt them down, & strike coins of more debased metal. This same practice was followed by succeeding emperors 😏.

McAlee679Prieur221AWKCollection-Copy.jpg.5101548de254f8eac5dd2f9fbe1588f7.jpg

SYRIA-ANTIOCH. Caracalla, AD 198-217 (struck AD 215/7). Billon Tetradrachm: 15.58 gm, 27.5 mm, 6 h. Four eparchies issue.

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...