A transitional Constans

voulgaroktonou

I seldom acquire Byzantine gold; my interest lies more in silver of the eastern empire, especially the 7th-early 8th c., hexagrams and their Palaeologan descendants, those homely but lovable stavrata and their fractions. However, I was pleased to recently pick up this Constantinopolitan solidus of Constans II because it provides a secure dating for a scarce transitional hexagram of Constans, of which I own two examples.  On Constans’ first issues from 641-646, his portrait is beardless. This intermediate class follows, on which he wears the beginning of a beard, as indicated by a row of dots.

Hahn (MIB 3, p. 124) regards the epsilon on the reverse of the solidus as an indictional year 5 (646/7); Grierson, in DOC v. 2:2, p. 403-4 , considers the possibility, but he also cites evidence indicating the numeral may indicate a regnal year, and prefers to date this transitional issue to 647. The first solidi of the next class (II), with a short, but fully formed beard and with the numeral S in the right field on the reverse, he dates somewhat later, to 647/8.

Solidus, Constantinople, 647. 4.39 gr. ; 19.5 mm. ;  6 hr. Sear 942; Hahn 9; DO 5a.2 (Class I (e)); BM 11.

Obv: δ N CONSTAN – τINЧS PP AVÇ. Crowned bust facing; wearing chlamys and holding globus cruciger  in right hand. Beard indicated by a row of dots.

Rev: VICTORIA – AVÇЧ B. Cross potent on base and three steps. Є (indictional or regnal year 5) in r. field. CONOB below.

Compare the portrait on the solidus with that on the following two hexagrams.

Hexagram, Constantinople, 647.  6.43 gr. 25 mm. 7 hr. Sear 990; Hahn 143; DO 49; Yannopoulos 38-42.

Obv:  δ N CONSτAN – τINЧ[S PP AV]. Crowned bust facing; wearing chlamys and holding globus cruciger  in right hand. Beard indicated by a row of dots as on the solidus.

Rev: δεЧS Aδτ[A ROmANI]S. Cross potent on base above globe on three steps.

Hexagram, Constantinople, 647. 6.61 gr. 30.2 mm. 4 hr.  Sear 990; Hahn 143; DO 49; Yannopoulos 38-42.

Obv:  δ N CONSτAN – τINЧS PP AV. Crowned bust facing; wearing chlamys and holding globus cruciger  in right hand. Beard indicated by a row of dots as before.

Rev: δεЧS A[δIЧ]τA ROmANIS. Cross potent on base above globe on three steps.

Constansdottedbeard.jpg.0b2ccc2fd76052b0a0fa2822dde9ba1f.jpg

Curiously, from the standpoint of their weight, both the hexagram and the much later stavraton recall the didrachmon of classical Greece! I’d love to see your hexagrams!

• Like 17
  • Heart Eyes 5

Very nice coins @voulgaroktonou! Constans II is a fascinating, if not, like many Byzantine rulers, an altogether impressive Emperor.

I have not purchased any Byzantine gold or silver yet (my Byzantine collection only dates from summer 2022, so I'm still relatively a beginner). My entire collection consists of bronze. My only Constans II is a relatively humble bronze follis from Syracuse.

641_to_668_ConstansII_AE_Follis_01.png.5b28794327daac7c5ffd0dbdd670e11f.png641_to_668_ConstansII_AE_Follis_02.png.5e611efcddaa9daa319b5fc80b000e2e.png
Constans II (641-668), AE Follis / 40 Nummi, Syracuse, 652-3, AE 23-27mm. 6g. Constans standing facing, wearing crown and chlamys, holding globus cruciger in right hand; I/H/Δ to l., I/A to right / Large M; cross above; SCL. MIB 208; DOC 179; S. 1108.

I am very glad that this forum has a contingent of Byzantine appreciators. They probably represent the pinnacle of "acquired taste" in ancient/medieval coinage.

• Like 6

@voulgaroktonou Very nice and interesting silver and gold Constans II coins with a short beard. Here's my bronze Constans II, which seems to be an early, beardless example.

image.jpeg.2673b89b7796bfdd0e14113f9c7d5efa.jpeg

Constans II. AE 40 Nummi Follis. Minted 641 AD To 647 AD. Syracuse Mint. Sear 1104. DO 176. Maximum Diameter 23.2 mm. Weight 4.19 grams. Obverse : Constans II Bust Beardless Facing Front Holding Globe Cross, No Legend. Reverse : Large M, Monogram Above.

Edited by sand
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, ewomack said:

Very nice coins @voulgaroktonou! Constans II is a fascinating, if not, like many Byzantine rulers, an altogether impressive Emperor.

I have not purchased any Byzantine gold or silver yet (my Byzantine collection only dates from summer 2022, so I'm still relatively a beginner). My entire collection consists of bronze. My only Constans II is a relatively humble bronze follis from Syracuse.

641_to_668_ConstansII_AE_Follis_01.png.5b28794327daac7c5ffd0dbdd670e11f.png641_to_668_ConstansII_AE_Follis_02.png.5e611efcddaa9daa319b5fc80b000e2e.png
Constans II (641-668), AE Follis / 40 Nummi, Syracuse, 652-3, AE 23-27mm. 6g. Constans standing facing, wearing crown and chlamys, holding globus cruciger in right hand; I/H/Δ to l., I/A to right / Large M; cross above; SCL. MIB 208; DOC 179; S. 1108.

I am very glad that this forum has a contingent of Byzantine appreciators. They probably represent the pinnacle of "acquired taste" in ancient/medieval coinage.

Your Syracusan Constans is very nice; these issues really show the emperor's extravagant beard. And your comment of "acquired taste" resonates. My local ancient coin club friends consider my taste in Byzantine strange. And my wife, who studied ancient Greek pottery in graduate school, considers my passion for the 15th stavrata perverse.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, sand said:

@voulgaroktonou Very nice and interesting silver and gold Constans II coins with a short beard. Here's my bronze Constans II, which seems to be an early, beardless example.

image.jpeg.2673b89b7796bfdd0e14113f9c7d5efa.jpeg

Constans II. AE 40 Nummi Follis. Minted 641 AD To 647 AD. Syracuse Mint. Sear 1104. DO 176. Maximum Diameter 23.2 mm. Weight 4.19 grams. Obverse : Constans II Bust Beardless Facing Front Holding Globe Cross, No Legend. Reverse : Large M, Monogram Above.

A very nice example; thanks for sharing!

• Like 1