Opinions on an Anastasius I Follis...

ewomack

Hello - this Anastasius I follis is now on its way to me. The price was lower than I expected, so I've been looking for anything "off" with it. I can see the reverse has some gritty wear on it in places, and the portrait could be better, but it does have some visible features. Does anyone see anything "up" with this follis? I'm not trying to accuse the seller of anything, I'm just curious why it may have been priced so low.

9MdCxFK6ET7i4asSpyF38Acw22kEfX.jpg.05936c14caa5194d4dc5311cd65f2265.jpg

Edited by ewomack
  • Like 4
  • Yes 1

• ewomack changed the title to Opinions on an Anastasius I Follis...

You snagged this off Vcoins 10 minutes after it went up! I saw it go up, then poof.

A very good buy at the price. Portrait and centering are very well struck and centered. I don’t see anything wrong with it besides the patina damage (well healed considering) on the portrait itself.

if I didn’t have one I’m very happy with I’d be kicking myself.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, ela126 said:

You snagged this off Vcoins 10 minutes after it went up! I saw it go up, then poof.

A very good buy at the price. Portrait and centering are very well struck and centered. I don’t see anything wrong with it besides the patina damage (well healed considering) on the portrait itself.

if I didn’t have one I’m very happy with I’d be kicking myself.

Wow! I must have seen it right after it appeared then. I just happened to look at VCoins and it was there. I thought about buying it for maybe 5 - 7 minutes, if not more, before taking the plunge.

Thanks for your input. I do think it looks nice for the price, but I worried it looked too nice. I'll be curious to see it in hand. I'll post my own photos of it on this forum when it arrives.

you defnitely got lucky then, i think it appeared at 8pm and was gone by 8:10. Andrew Caldarone (Aegean Numismatics) seems to know Byzantines pretty well.  I think you're in good hands.

I can say from my own expierence with Byzantiines and coin cleaning, what you have would be difficult to fake.  I'd almost suggest scrapping with your finger nail on the rim where there is dirt left. If it doesnt readily rip up, its genuine. The coin was 95% cleaned, left with some dirt on it, then Ren Wax'd. If the dirt wasn't falsely applied, it should remain attached, although can be removed with some effort via hobby knife or diamond pin tool.

What i'm saying is, surface helps its case for genuine designation.

• Like 1

On 10/18/2023 at 9:43 AM, ela126 said:

you defnitely got lucky then, i think it appeared at 8pm and was gone by 8:10. Andrew Caldarone (Aegean Numismatics) seems to know Byzantines pretty well.  I think you're in good hands.

I can say from my own expierence with Byzantiines and coin cleaning, what you have would be difficult to fake.  I'd almost suggest scrapping with your finger nail on the rim where there is dirt left. If it doesnt readily rip up, its genuine. The coin was 95% cleaned, left with some dirt on it, then Ren Wax'd. If the dirt wasn't falsely applied, it should remain attached, although can be removed with some effort via hobby knife or diamond pin tool.

What i'm saying is, surface helps its case for genuine designation.

Thank you for this information. A lot of it is new to me. I'm guessing "Ren Wax" refers to "Renaissance Wax?" Are there sources from which I could learn more about these topics? Or does this come mostly from experience?

Also, I received a shipping notice for the Anastasius, so hopefully it will arrive within a week or so.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, ewomack said:

Thank you for this information. A lot of it is new to me. I'm guessing "Ren Wax" refers to "Renaissance Wax?" Are there sources from which I could learn more about these topics? Or does this come mostly from experience?

Also, I received a shipping notice for the Anastasius, so hopefully it will arrive within a week or so.

Correct. Renaissance wax is commonly used after coin cleaning and drying to seal and protect the coin.

Saul Roll, Romanorum on Vcoins. Is a professional coin cleaner and has a guide of how to do mechanical cleaning on bronze coins. I’ll have to figure out how to post it here.

there are also several groups on Facebook sharing this information and tips and tricks

• Like 3

This is a coin I’m cleaning currently. It’s a process but good progress so far. No wax on this coin yet, just cleaning details so far. Few more steps to go.

I’ll have to make a post on coin cleaning with what I know. It is by far my favorite part of collecting ancients, specifically Byzantines.

IMG_4943.jpeg.adc35e908d0d52685dc23edee2b62ae2.jpegIMG_4962.jpeg.58f4b850d0b64a895592c1479f0d5f81.jpeg

• Like 7