Vespasian Temple of Vesta

David Atherton

Recently I was absolutely thrilled to have acquired this rare Temple of Vesta as struck by Vespasian. As a huge fan of architecture on Roman coins, it's been a long sought after variety and one of my top 'white whale' coins.

V601.jpg.c9a200575a9900dd1b1fcd7d865fbf1a.jpg

Vespasian
Æ As, 8.38g
Rome mint, 73 AD
Obv: IMP CAES VESP AVG P M T P COS IIII CENS; Head of Vespasian, laureate, r.
Rev: VES-TA across field; S C low in field; Temple, round, containing statue
RIC 601 (R). BMC 664. BNC 663.

Ex Harlan J Berk BBS 225, 30 November 2023, lot 37. Ex Curtis Clay Collection.

A decently rare as from 73 depicting a round structure on the reverse, clearly identified on the coin as the temple of Vesta. This is the sixth incarnation of the temple, the fifth was destroyed in the great fire of 64 AD and it originally appeared on the coinage of Nero after his restoration of the structure. Vespasian likely embellished it, which perhaps explains its reappearance on the coinage (Tameanko p. 181). Conversely, Scott Arcenas in his study of Vespasian's temple of Vesta aurei has theorised its appearance here may symbolise the security of home and state rather than any building activity by Vespasian (Elkins p.79). It was a round temple mounted on a high podium and a narrow stairway approach. The columns were fitted with their own plinths and the surrounding intercolumniations laced with grillwork. The summit of the conical roof is flattened, presumably to hold a statue. The coin depicts a cult statue of Vesta between the columns, however, this figure could also be a visual representation of Vesta's eternal flame. The Flavian interest in her cult can best be explained by their desire for connection and continuity with Rome's sacred traditions after the horrors and tragedies of the recent Civil War. The type was fleetingly struck for Vespasian, Titus Caesar, and Domitian Caesar.

In hand.

Thank you for looking!

Edited by David Atherton
  • Like 11
  • Clap 1
  • Heart Eyes 3
  • Thinking 1

IMG_0422.jpg.24429dd0cc66ecd27eab9a798f5fb84b.jpg

Here is a picture from my last visit to Rome. 

No, this is not the Temple of Vesta - but that's exactly what people used to think! The similarity with the remains of the Temple of Vesta on the Roman Forum used to lead to the assumption that this was also a sanctuary of Vesta.

However, the attribution to Hercules, who was highly revered in Rome, is now certain. A fragmentary inscription on a statue base names Hercules Olivarius. This epithet may derive from the fact that the builder - a wealthy merchant named Marcus Octavius Herrenus - may have traded in oil. It is the temple of Hercules Victor ("victorious Hercules"; sometimes also called Hercules Olivarius); it would be more accurate to speak of the Round Temple on the Tiber or the Round Temple on the Forum Boarium. The round temple, surrounded on all sides by columns, is the oldest marble building preserved in Rome. Built around 120 BC, the temple has a diameter of 14.8 metres and consists of a central, circular cult room (cella) surrounded by 19 columns over ten metres high (one column is missing; it may have served as a spolia in another building). The capitals are Corinthian, the bases of tuff. These columns originally carried an architrave. This has not survived, nor has the original roof. The walls and the columns, however, date back to the time of construction; they form the oldest surviving marble building in Rome.

Google Maps Pin: https://maps.app.goo.gl/C1x1AxRuWQdVsUKa8 

• Like 11

13 hours ago, Prieure de Sion said:

IMG_0422.jpg.24429dd0cc66ecd27eab9a798f5fb84b.jpg

Here is a picture from my last visit to Rome. 

No, this is not the Temple of Vesta - but that's exactly what people used to think! The similarity with the remains of the Temple of Vesta on the Roman Forum used to lead to the assumption that this was also a sanctuary of Vesta.

However, the attribution to Hercules, who was highly revered in Rome, is now certain. A fragmentary inscription on a statue base names Hercules Olivarius. This epithet may derive from the fact that the builder - a wealthy merchant named Marcus Octavius Herrenus - may have traded in oil. It is the temple of Hercules Victor ("victorious Hercules"; sometimes also called Hercules Olivarius); it would be more accurate to speak of the Round Temple on the Tiber or the Round Temple on the Forum Boarium. The round temple, surrounded on all sides by columns, is the oldest marble building preserved in Rome. Built around 120 BC, the temple has a diameter of 14.8 metres and consists of a central, circular cult room (cella) surrounded by 19 columns over ten metres high (one column is missing; it may have served as a spolia in another building). The capitals are Corinthian, the bases of tuff. These columns originally carried an architrave. This has not survived, nor has the original roof. The walls and the columns, however, date back to the time of construction; they form the oldest surviving marble building in Rome.

Google Maps Pin: https://maps.app.goo.gl/C1x1AxRuWQdVsUKa8 

Excellent photo - it gives one an idea of how the temple of Vesta may have appeared. 

I'm glad you finally got one!  Now you can leave mine alone!😀

In all seriousness, it's a tough one to find.  It's the first one I've seen in the market since I bought mine in 2014 and I don't recall ever seeing another before that.  Congrats!

VespasiantempleVesta.jpg.375b9becfa3dddacb3b8e504679bf5da.jpg

• Like 8
  • Heart Eyes 1

Wonderful coin @David Atherton! One of my favorite republicans shows the Temple of Vesta.

L_CAS_LON_CSH_L.jpeg.54e26e11af15e18443f19a475f8a932f.jpeg
Roman Republican
Q. Cassius Longinus, moneyer
AR Denarius, Rome mint, struck 55 BC
(20.2 mm, 3.95 g)
Obv.: Head of Libertas right, wearing hair collected into a knot, decorated with jewels, and falling down neck, and wearing single-drop earring and necklace of pendants; LIBERT upward to left, Q • CASSIVS downward to right.
Rev.: Temple of Vesta, circular, surmounted by figure holding scepter and patera, flanked by antefixes; curule chair within; urn to left, tabella (voting tablet) [inscribed AC (Absolvo Condemno)] to right.
Ref.: Crawford 428/2; Sydenham 918
Ex Prof Dr Hildebrecht Hommel Collection, acquired from Hirsch, Auction 63 (July 1969), lot 2454; Ex Dr. Busso Peus Nachf., Auction 422 (April 26, 2018), lot 424 (part of); Ex Kölner Münzkabinet Auction 109, Lot 360 (November 16, 2018)

• Like 6
  • Heart Eyes 2

Great coin David! I love coins with architecture too, and a coin showing the temple of Vesta is a must have. Its one of the oldest and important temples of Rome. Quite a few emperors/empressess show the temple on their coins. Below my coin of Nero showing the temple:

8.4.png.b67d11d32017d499e0d01bcdeb712283.png  Interestingly, this coin shows 6 columns, as does the Republican issue, shown by @Curtisimo. Where as your coin, and the one shown by @Jay GT4 show 4. Artistic freedom for the die engravers perhaps? I also really like the details of the statue of the coin of @Jay GT4. Ive always wondered why the die engravers decides to show a statue, and not the Flame or Palladium. 

• Like 7
  • Yes 1