The ADVENTVS issues of Gallienus

Claudius_Gothicus

I personally find the ADVENTVS types to be some of the most interesting ones in all of the Roman Imperial coinage, since they can usually be dated to specific occasions and can also help reconstruct the timeline of an emperor's reign; in particular, out of all the third century emperors this applies the most to Gallienus, since it was during his time that several new permanent mints besides the traditional ones at Rome and Antioch were opened, allowing for a wide variety of different ADVENTVS types to be struck, although they are all quite rare. I am thus going to use this recent acquisition of mine to take an overall look at the use of this reverse type under Gallienus, going through the various mints in alphabetical order.

GALLIENVSAVG-ADVENTVSAVG.jpg.0a1d6d32f10d7abe8d7b2e028444c26f.jpg

Roman Empire, Gallienus (253-268), Antoninianus, Mediolanum mint, 3rd emission.

Obverse: GALLIENVS AVG, radiate head left;

Reverse: ADVE-NTVS AVG, emperor on horseback advancing left, raising right hand and holding transverse spear pointing downwards in left hand;

RIC V 463; MIR 1026e; Toffanin 132/1;

Antioch

The Antioch mint issued some extremely rare antoniniani in the final period of Gallienus' reign which, while lacking a reverse legend explicitely referring to it as such, feature a depiction which is consistent with previous coins of this type. MIR lists only the first type, showing the classical ADVENTVS iconography, while the latter, featuring a PROFECTIO image instead, is known from only one example, published by Charles Euston in the Cercle D'Etudes Numismatiques. This does bring up a problem, though: the dated legend makes it clear that this coin was struck around 264 AD, but there is no other evidence of a trip of Gallienus to the Eastern provinces in this period. It's certainly possible that this first type was struck in anticipation of a planned visit which, in the end, did not come to fruition, causing the production to be stopped (it would also account for its rarity); does that mean, though, that the PROFECTIO type is also a protoype, made before the Emperor had even departed, let alone arrived? It's possible that future discoveries will shed more light on this issue.

image01040.jpg.4bb9bc62dbb0cf427e5523bc74d756f3.jpg

(Image courtesy of Paul Francis Jacquier)

cen-52-2-Gallienus-to-Antioch-01-1-e1483442065298.jpg.18191f319780e883913112707315cb28.jpg

(Image courtesy of CEN)

Mediolanum

The ADVENTVS issues from Mediolanum, while still rare, are probably the most common ones of Gallienus; they are dated to around 261 AD and were struck shortly after the Legionary series. If Alfoldi was correct in saying that the victories commemorated on those coins were those against not only the Alamans, but also the usurpers Regalianus and Ingenuus, in whose defeats Gallienus was a direct participant, then my guess would be that this ADVENTVS issue is supposed to represent the return of the emperor to Mediolanum from the Balkan frontier, in preparation of the future campaign against Postumus.

This group of coins contained not only antoniniani, but also aurei (of which I couldn't find an image, sadly). There isn't as much variety with the busts as in other issues, but it's worth mentioning that some of the coins feature military busts:

4420422.jpg.6eda7899af5ac183fb5a53728b20ee03.jpg

(Image courtesy of CNG)

Despite being the most common of the ADVENTVS reverse types, it doesn't appear that they were struck in particularly large numbers, since there are many obverse and reverse matches to be found, as you can notice when you compare my coin with the other examples of MIR 1026e that I have seen:

image01963.jpg.6c47aaa66ecf9795380da3a890d0b3c7.jpg

(Sold by Leu)

2yxDE9n6QoA78PRcMf5f7Nq63abQ54.jpg.e7f7504feaa0182e76071a47d036015b.jpg

(Sold by Lucernae)

Screenshot2023-10-07130027.jpg.9cf3894cd4c71f08f90aa76b4bb6f152.jpg

(From the Frank Reinhardt collection)

Rome

The mint of Rome stands out when compared to all the others I'm analysing, since it was the only one to strike ADVENTVS coins in two different occasions: firstly, in 253 AD it celebrated the entry of Valerian and Gallienus into the Eternal City with double-portrait medallions inspired by those of Gallus and Volusianus, as well as antoniniani with the legend ADVENTVS AVGG (the latter is known only for Valerian, though, and I couldn't find any image):

image00124.jpg.aea791937996302739c2d4b7ceb9bbdd.jpg

(Image courtesy of CNG)

However, another Adventus issue was struck around 260 AD, after Gallienus' defeat of the Alamans near Mediolanum but possibly before his campaigns against the usurpers later the same year, suggesting that after the news of Valerian's capture had spread he might have visited the city to stabilise the situation there.

image02907.jpg.ace0be6cc4b193bc9c330609a8d254c7.jpg

(Image courtesy of Leu Numismatik)

Siscia

The mint of Siscia is known to have struck some antoniniani celebrating not only Gallienus' ADVENTVS but also his PROFECTIO sometime around 267 AD; this fits in well with the known timeline, since we know that in this period Gallienus was in the Balkans, fighting off Gothic incursions, though the campaign was cut short by the news of Aureolus' betrayal, which forced the emperor to return to Italy. It makes sense that during his journey east he passed through the strategic town of Siscia and that this was celebrated on coinage. It's also worth mentioning that the first coin stands out due to a very unusual reverse legend, BONVS AVENTVS AVG: not only is ADVENTVS misspelled, but it's also preceded by BONVS, which, as far as I know, was never featured again in this type of legend. In their 2004 article, Geneviève and Hollard speculated that the engraver might have made a mistake due to the fact that, at the same time, the Mediolanum mint was striking coins with the very similar legend BONVS EVENTVS AVG.

image02883.jpg.dddcd2c3dc36a679297b91f3da5b9082.jpg

image02891.jpg.ca014cf921ec6e563beafc63b249bc23.jpg

Smyrna

The mint at Smyrna also struck some extremely rare coins with this legend, but there is little that can be said with certainty about them: since they were struck more or less at the same time as the Siscia coins, it's possible that Gallienus was planning to travel further east but had to turn back before he could do so. However, given the tendency of the Smyrna mint of copying reverse types from other mints, it's also possible that this coin was not supposed to carry any particular implication.

3051768_1657010614.jpg.b9afe9065b02fd153325668be37c7fb5.jpg

(Image courtesy of Damaris Numismatics)

Anyway, that's all for now - post your ADVENTVS coins, or anything else you feel like might be relevant!

Edited by Claudius_Gothicus
  • Like 20
  • Cool Think 2

I always enjoy your posts @Claudius_Gothicus.

I don’t have any Gallienus examples but here is my favorite Adventus with a provenance back to 1924.

Philip_I_Adventus_Ant.jpeg.d164093193542a0b49d56b30985373b1.jpeg
Roman Empire
Philip I the Arab (AD 244-249)
AR Antoninianus, Rome mint, struck ca. AD 245
Dia.: 23 mm
Wt.: 4.36 g
Obv.: IMP M IVL PHILIPPVS AVG; Radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right
Rev.: ADVENTVS AVGG; Philip on horseback left, raising right hand and holding spear
Ref.: RIC IV 26b
Ex David Kallai (ca. 1908-1924) with old tag; Ex arnoldoe Collection, AMCC 2, lot 194 (Nov. 9, 2019). 

IMG_3932.png.05fda0061214bbf5e130da3bcd4220bf.png

• Like 8
  • Heart Eyes 1

On 10/7/2023 at 9:58 PM, thejewk said:

Very interesting, thanks. Can you please give me the full titles of the reference works you mention? I am getting closer to starting a Gallienus sub collection every week. 

Are you referring to the ones in the description of my coin? If that's the case, they are:

Roman Imperial Coinage, Volume 5, Part 1, by Mattingly & Sydenham: this particular volume is no longer very useful, due to the amount of misattributed types and new coins that have been discovered since its publication; it would really benefit from a comprehensive update.

Die Münzprägung der Kaiser Valerianus I. /Gallienus /Saloninus (253/268) Regalianus (260) und Macrianus/Quietus (260/262), by Göbl & Alram: the best reference book on the coinage of Gallienus & family, though it's hard to find and can be difficult to understand at first.

MEDIOLANVM. La zecca di Milano dalle origini a Desiderio, Re dei Longobardi IV secolo a.C. - 774 d.C, by Toffanin: a good book, but it's about the mint of Mediolanum in general, rather than Gallienus in particular. Moreover, it's quite expensive and in Italian, so I doubt it would be worth it to someone that only cares about Gallienus' coins.

19 hours ago, Curtisimo said:

I always enjoy your posts @Claudius_Gothicus.

I don’t have any Gallienus examples but here is my favorite Adventus with a provenance back to 1924.

Philip_I_Adventus_Ant.jpeg.d164093193542a0b49d56b30985373b1.jpeg
Roman Empire
Philip I the Arab (AD 244-249)
AR Antoninianus, Rome mint, struck ca. AD 245
Dia.: 23 mm
Wt.: 4.36 g
Obv.: IMP M IVL PHILIPPVS AVG; Radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right
Rev.: ADVENTVS AVGG; Philip on horseback left, raising right hand and holding spear
Ref.: RIC IV 26b
Ex David Kallai (ca. 1908-1924) with old tag; Ex arnoldoe Collection, AMCC 2, lot 194 (Nov. 9, 2019). 

IMG_3932.png.05fda0061214bbf5e130da3bcd4220bf.png

Thanks for your contribution, @Curtisimo! It's pretty fascinating to have such an old provenance on a common coin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a web page on ADVENTVS types

http://augustuscoins.com/ed/PROFECTIO/ADVENTVS.html

It had none of Gallienus, but some of a number of emperors and a list of the emperors who had the type. 

Here is a rare type commemorating the arrival of two emperors, Maximian and Diocletian, to Lugdunum in 290.

MaximianADVENTVSAVGG900.jpg.219437d29b00bc59cec847d71fe04fdb.jpg

Maximian, 285-305
Aurelianus, struck c. 290 
ADVENTVS AVGG
Two horsemen riding right, raising hands, S in exergue

RIC V.II Maximian 347F, page 261, Lugdunum, AD 290. Very rare.
Bastien 266 p.165, 6th emission, 2nd officina (289-290 AD).
Sear IV 13103.
Foss Maximian 6

Arrival of Diocletian and Maximian to Lugdunum in 290.

This rare type was also issued in the name of his co-ruler, Diocletian.

Once gain, here is the web page: http://augustuscoins.com/ed/PROFECTIO/ADVENTVS.html

• Like 8
  • Heart Eyes 2

Here a have a adventus coin from Claudius II, i don't have one from Gallienus.

claudiusII.jpg.8de2815998fde55e1f0a2cd921603c93.jpg

IMP C CLAVDIVS AVG : radiate, draped, and cuirassed bust right, seen from behind

ADVENTVS AVG : Claudius on horseback riding left, holding sceptre and raising hand

Antoninianus, Rome,  Ric V nr 13

Edited by mc9
  • Like 5

Found two more :

trai.jpg.a76cb7cc6459ed787168edf7e40cdf05.jpg

Traianus Decius:

obv : IMP C M Q TRAIANUS DECIUS AVG :  radiate, draped, and cuirassed bust right, seen from behind

rev : ADVENTUS AVG : Decius on horseback riding left, holding sceptre in left hand and raising right hand

antoninianus , Rome, RIC IVc 11b

pro.jpg.a7b265686b3da64c64db5121aa30bc0b.jpg

Probus :

obv : IMP C M AUR PROBUS P AVG : radiate and cuirassed bust left, with spear and shield

rev : ADVENTUS AVG : Probus on horseback riding left, holding sceptre in left hand and raising right hand

Antoninianus, Siscia, RIC Vb 629

Edited by mc9
  • Like 5

I read somewhere (I can't remember where so will have to try and find the reference later) that is is thought that the ADVENTVS coins of Probus are generic arrival coins, of the emperor arriving somewhere whereas the ADVENTVS PROBI AVG coins refer to the arrival of the emperor in the city where the mint was based. I have a strong liking for ADVENTVS coins but particularly those that can be tied to an event. Here are a few of mine which are focuseed on two small events,

Probus travelled through Lugdunum at the start of the summer of A.D. 277 with his army from Asia to battle in the Rhine.

Obv:– IMP C PROBVS • P • F • AVG, Radiate, cuirassed bust right
Rev:– ADVENTVS PROBI AVG, Emperor riding left, right hand raised, left holding sceptre; at foot, captive
Minted in Lugdunum (I in exe) Emission 4 Officina 1. Middle to End A.D. 277
Reference:– Cohen 68. Bastien 184 (10 examples cited). RIC 19 Bust type F

Weight 3.59g. 22.79mm. 180 degrees

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10618/RI_132ty_img.jpg

Obv:– IMP C PROBVS • P • F • AVG, Radiate, cuirassed bust right
Rev:– ADVENTVS PROBI AVG, Emperor riding left, right hand raised, left holding sceptre; at foot, captive
Minted in Lugdunum (IIII) Emission 4 Officina 4. Mid to Late A.D. 277
Reference(s) – Cohen 68. Bastien 197 (6). RIC 19 Bust Type F var (officina)

3.33 gms. 45 degrees. 23.18 mm.

Ex barnaba6 collection. ex Philippe Gysen collection

RI_132yz_img.JPG

At the end of A.D. 277 he returned through the city having been triumphant, defeating the enemies on the Rhine.

Obv:– VIRTVS PROBI AVG, Radiate, helmeted, cuirassed bust left, holding spear and shield
Rev:– ADVENTVS PROBI AVG, Emperor, riding left, right hand raised, left holding sceptre; at foot, captive
Mint – Lugdunum (//III) Emission 5, Officina 3. End A. D. 277 to Early A.D. 278
Reference:– RIC 64 Bust Type G var (officina), Cohen 69, Bastien 226 (1 ex. same dies)

3.35 gms. 180 degrees. 22.19 mm

RI_132wv_img.jpg

Obv:– VIRTVS PRO-BI AVG, Radiate, helmeted, cuirassed bust left, holding spear and shield, decorated with emperor riding past row of soldiers with shields
Minted in Lugdunum (IIII) Emission 5 Officina 4. End A.D. 277 to Early A.D. 278
References:– Cohen 69. Bastien 256 (2 examples). RIC 64 Bust Type G (S)
Appears to be an obverse die match to the plate example in Bastien

RI_132ma_img~0.jpg

Edited by maridvnvm
  • Like 7