Elagabalus and his big black rock! a lime denarius with multiple die match.

JayAg47

I've never gave a thought about limes denarius, and only bought it now because it shows the stone of Emesa on the quadriga. I would never pay 1-2k on a silver coin, but a limes denarius featuring this event seemed to be a must have, and it was also cheap.

The above image I took after i received the coin, after lightly cleaning the gunk I took the below image under sunlight which popped up more details,

fdddd.jpg.63a8a539b284a5cb26a5328c8cdba2ee.jpg

Elagabalus. AD 218-222. Æ ‘Limes’ Denarius 2.3 gm. Obv: Laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right. Rev: SANCT DEO SOLI, ELAGABAL in exergue, quadriga right bearing stone of Emesa upon which is an eagle; four parasols around. 

But what's more interesting is that I came across similar listings on Vcoins and Forvmancient coins that look really similar to my coin, in fact double die matches!

vcoins.png.8753525a9aaaeb7dcf51e3df87af947a.png

fac.png.f14cbbfa42b40659f78a3729c4d049dd.png

This led me into a rabbit hole and happened to come across more of these limes denarii made from the same dies!

From Savoca 12th blue auction, lot 1602 (2018)

Untitled.png.9200ba9657668c440daa3563f1366634.png

From CNG E-auction 324, lot 428 (2014)

cng.png.658953fb57ae4ccbe51f133885331e33.png

Another one from CNG, but from 2004,

cng2.png.aa115c56c9e0daf30988dd22fdfdca20.png

And last but not least, I think I've found the official silver issue with the same elements! which should mean the other imitations have been made using official dies! 

https://www.vcoins.com/it/stores/srtancient/218/product/rare_stone_of_emesa_denarius_of_emperor_elagabalus__218_ad/1075118/amp.aspx

off.png.77e04385afd19e1019114c638a8c1dca.png

Probably my exciting find of the year! 

Edited by JayAg47
  • Like 11

27 minutes ago, JayAg47 said:

And last but not least, I think I've found the official silver issue with the same elements! which should mean the other imitations have been made using official dies! 

More likely a official coin was used as model for casting these coins. Nevertheless an interesting coin.

Edited by shanxi
  • Like 3
  • Yes 1

This is such a great coin and definitely on my wish list! I really hope it's a genuine one, and not a fake. I recommend that you ask Ilya Prokopov about this coin, and send him the images (ilya.prokopov@gmail.com). Either way, fake or not, it's a great joy to look at this coin type. And to share my inner feelings, I hope this picture brings a smile on your face. 😉 

Guess.jpg

• Like 1
  • Big Smile 4
  • Heart Eyes 3
  • Laugh 2
  • Smile 1

7 hours ago, Coinmaster said:

This is such a great coin and definitely on my wish list! I really hope it's a genuine one, and not a fake. I recommend that you ask Ilya Prokopov about this coin, and send him the images (ilya.prokopov@gmail.com). Either way, fake or not, it's a great joy to look at this coin type. And to share my inner feelings, I hope this picture brings a smile on your face. 😉 

Guess.jpg

TIF's....:)

• Like 2