Two francs of 1944 coined in the U.S.

richard228

• Benefactor

From the article: 

In preparation for D-Day, 50 million coins with the face value of 2 francs were minted in Philadelphia to be used by the soldiers in the liberated zone. When De Gaulle discovered this, he became very upset and argued with Sir Winston Churchill and Gen. Dwight Eisenhower that the issuing of coins was inherently a sign of national sovereignty and therefore was the responsibility of the new French government commanded by himself. Nevertheless, the U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt claimed that when his country entered into the war, the only France he knew was the Vichy Republic, allied to the Nazi Germany. The coin in question was an emergency issue. In terms of style, it’s pretty rudimentary: on the obverse appears the word FRANCE surrounded by a laurel wreath and on the reverse is inscribed “LIBERTÉ EGALITÉ FRATERNITÉ 2 FR.1944”. It was the only coin in this series and circulated just for a brief time after the Allied occupation. The coin is part of the so-called billet drapeau, banknotes issued by the allied troops to be used in France during wartime.

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, DonnaML said:

From the article: 

In preparation for D-Day, 50 million coins with the face value of 2 francs were minted in Philadelphia to be used by the soldiers in the liberated zone. When De Gaulle discovered this, he became very upset and argued with Sir Winston Churchill and Gen. Dwight Eisenhower that the issuing of coins was inherently a sign of national sovereignty and therefore was the responsibility of the new French government commanded by himself. Nevertheless, the U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt claimed that when his country entered into the war, the only France he knew was the Vichy Republic, allied to the Nazi Germany. The coin in question was an emergency issue. In terms of style, it’s pretty rudimentary: on the obverse appears the word FRANCE surrounded by a laurel wreath and on the reverse is inscribed “LIBERTÉ EGALITÉ FRATERNITÉ 2 FR.1944”. It was the only coin in this series and circulated just for a brief time after the Allied occupation. The coin is part of the so-called billet drapeau, banknotes issued by the allied troops to be used in France during wartime.

Thank you Donna¡¡¡

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, interesting story.

Here's my example of the said coin, found at my grand parents (south of France, not far from Marseille) when I was a kid

741017b2afa54b61907b48c8f541af99.jpg

Gouvernement provisoire (19441946) - 2 francs Philadelphie 1944
Ref : Le Franc 10 # 271/1
Référence : Le Fr10-271-01

Q

• Like 6
  • Heart Eyes 1

• 2 months later...
38 minutes ago, lordmarcovan said:

Also, the 1944 Belgian 2 francs was struck by the US Mint on blanks left over from the 1943 US steel cents.  I've come across one or two in bulk lots.  American collectors should find them interesting, but most don't seem to know about them.

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces3103.html

I didn't know that !
Interesting, thanks LM

Q

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Qcumbor said:

I didn't know that !
Interesting, thanks LM

Q

Like the French liberation coin above, the Allied Occupation Belgian 2-franc has a very basic design.  But I note on the Numista page that it was designed by John R. Sinnock, who is better known as the designer of the Roosevelt dime (1946-present).

• Like 1