Some coins from Krannon

kirispupis

• Benefactor

Recently, I picked up several coins from the Thessalian city of Krannon. Of particular interest is this one.

331A8531-Edit.jpg.997b9b6a1c9a07d72c3d6f1aef5f0074.jpg

Thessaly, Krannon
Æ Dichalkon (16.5mm, 3.78g, 6h)
c. 350-300 BCE
Horseman riding r. R/ Hydria on cart
BCD Thessaly 119; SNG Copenhagen 43

Some light into what is depicted here was given by Antigonos of Karystos.

They say that in Crannon in Thessaly there are only two crows; that is the reason why on the honorific decrees which, according to universal custom, have inscribed upon them the arms (parasaemon) of the city, there are figured two crows on a bronze car.

Some of the coins depict the two crows, but mine does not. Does this mean there was no drought when mine was minted? How exactly did the crows make it rain? Perhaps they were very smart crows - and they added silver iodide to the clouds. Of course, this would have been a lot of work for just two crows, but maybe they could radio some help in? With enough pelicans, the feat would have been easier. But then, shouldn't the pelicans have received credit? Sadly, the writings of the two crows has been lost.

Here's another from the city.

331A4211-Edit.jpg.d6b16f377dfcbb1710b2bb18336689b1.jpg

Krannon, Thessaly
ca. 4th century BCE
Ae Dichalkon 18mm, 5.5gms
Ox: Laureate and bearded bust of Poseidon right
Rx: KP - A; Horseman wearing petasos prancing right
BCD Thessaly II 117.2
Ex-BCD collection

I find it interesting that Krannon depicted Poseidon when it was an inland city a bit south of Larissa, who would eventually consume it. Evidently, though there seems to be some debate between Zeus and Poseidon - they were often mistaken for each other at parties - the argument for Poseidon comes from the Taurokathapsia games held there for Poseidon. Taurokathapsia is "bull-leaping" and came from the Minoan culture. It involves either an acrobat or an idiot (depending on skill) who leaps over a charging bull. The sport survives today in France and Spain. I am not sure why Poseidon in particular was so fond of these games.

The bull-leaping probably explains this coin.

331A4577-Edit.jpg.f68b647fe9a3b6681529c2ad69e6358f.jpg

Krannon, Thessaly
ca. 300 BCE
Ae Chalkous 14.3mm, 2.2gms
Obv: Rider wearing petasos on horseback left, L E below left
Rev: Bull butting right, trident above; KPAN in exergue
Ex-BCD Collection

Again, the charging bull and the trident are probably emblematic of bull-leaping and Poseidon. Like the rest of Thessaly, Krannon was famed for its cavalry, which played a big factor in the Battle of Krannon, which occurred roughly around the above coin's mintage in 322 BCE.

The battle was a bit like losing a game when the referee calls a dumb foul. Though the Macedonians won, it was on a technicality and since there weren’t instant replay cameras back then, the victory stood.  

When Alexander the Great died, Athens and several other Greek states rose up against the Macedonians, who had most of their forces still in the East. Against just aging Antipater this should have been an easy victory, and initially things did go Greece’s way.  

They bottled Antipater and his forces up in Lamia, then dispatched in stunning fashion the releaving forces from Leonnatos, who died in the battle. However, the Greeks farted around too long and eventually another force came with one of Alexander‘s most vaunted generals – Krateros.  

Since the Greeks had defeated Leonnatos with cavalry, they went with that offense again. While the cavalry went at it, the Athenians faced the vaunted Macedonian phalanx, who pushed them back. When the Greeks regrouped on high ground, the cavalry mistakingly thought the battle was lost and fled.  

For such a decisive battle, there were remarkably few casualties on either side. However, because Antipater and Krateros now commanded the battlefield, the referees ruled in their favor. While Athens did request a rematch, the Macedonians deftly took several Thessalian cities and the rest sued for peace. With their allies gone, Athens had no choice but to surrender unconditionally. 

Please show your Thessalian coins!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

Great coins, and I love seeing  these cities and mints  that are so interesting  but less discussed. Thank you. In exactly that vein all I have is Larissa with added cud,  not the other fascinating  mints of the area. 

Thessaly, Larissa, AR Drachm, c. 350-340 BC

Head of nymph facing slightly left, hair in ampyx, all within beaded circle, rev. [SA]IO[N], horse and foal walking right, LARI in exergue

screenshot-2023-01-15-at-16-27-13-thessaly-lntrhtarissa-ar-drachm-c-350-340-bc-spink_orig.png

• Like 12

Thebai, Thessaly

302-286 BC
AE 19 (19 mm, 5.53g)
O: Wreathed and veiled head of Demeter left, within dotted border.
R: Bridled horse prancing right; ΘHBAIΩN above, X below.
Rogers 552; BCD Thessaly II, 762.1-2; SNG Munchen 185
From the BCD collection

~ Peter 

2dWMKAj95wpXR8fDeG6746WqD2b3n4A~2.jpg

Edited by Phil Anthos
forgot picture
  • Like 11

2 minutes ago, Phil Anthos said:

Thebai, Thessaly

302-286 BC
AE 19 (19 mm, 5.53g)
O: Wreathed and veiled head of Demeter left, within dotted border.
R: Bridled horse prancing right; ΘHBAIΩN above, X below.
Rogers 552; BCD Thessaly II, 762.1-2; SNG Munchen 185
From the BCD collection

~ Peter 

2dWMKAj95wpXR8fDeG6746WqD2b3n4A~2.jpg

I do like the patina on this coin.

• Like 1

I have a fraction from Larissa. I like the (almost) front facing head. On many examples I have seen (with circulation wear of course), the nose is the most affected by wear, making the nymph look rather ugly.

image.png.6acc1e274e3e0dd6c6d015e7cc1fbb05.png

11 mm, 0,93 g.
Thessaly. Larissa. AR trihemiobol. Circa 356-320 BC.
Head of the nymph Larissa facing slightly to left, wearing ampyx and necklace / Thessalian horseman charging to right; ΛΑΡΙΣΑΙΩΝ around.
BCD Thessaly II 341; HGC 4, 515.

• Like 10

What the heck, this one was shot with the right hand camera...

Pherai, Thessaly

late 4th century BC
AE14 (14mm, 2.59g)
O: Wreathed head of Hekate right; torch before.
R: Lion's head fountain right, spouting water; fish below, ΦEPAIOYN around to right.
Rogers 514; HGC4, 568; BCD Thessaly II, 691.1

~ Peter 

Pherai2.jpg

• Like 6

normal_thessalyHadrian.jpg.ebfdaf781831a2def8930b4c984dbd35.jpg

Thessaly, Koinon of Thessaly. Hadrian. Æ20

THESSALY, Koinon of Thessaly. Hadrian. AD 117-138. Æ Diassarion (20mm, 5.80 g, 6h). Nikomachos, strategos. AΔPIANON KAICAPA ΘЄCCAΛOI, laureate bust right, wearing drapery on far shoulder / (CTPA monogram) O (YX) NIKO-MAXOY, Athena Itonia striding right, hurling spear held in her right hand, shield on her left arm.

ThessalyKoinona.jpg.021b6bb768d39a8d2f9b62a52355544e.jpg

Thessaly, Koinon of. Septimius Severus AE21.

Obv: AVT L CEP CEBHPOCP, laureate head right.
Rev: KOINON QECCALWN, Athena Itonia standing right brandishing javelin & shield.

• Like 6

Another Hekate...

Pherai, Thessaly

302-286 BC
AR Hemidrachm (14-16mm, 2.44g)
O: Head of Hekate left, wearing laurel wreath, triple-pendant earring and plain necklace; torch over shoulder.
R: The nymph Hypereia standing left, placing right hand on lion-headed fountain from which water pours; [A]Σ/TO in two lines in wreath to left; ΦEPAIOYN to right.
SNG Cop 239; BCD Thessaly 714; Sear 2204; BMC 7, 20-21
From the BCD collection

~ Peter 

Hekate_Pherai.jpeg~2.jpg

• Like 4