Where to Access MIR?

Harry G

Hi all!

As an antoninianus collector, I often see references in auction catalogues to MIR (the reference book primarily for Gallienus and Salonina). However, I can't find anywhere online to access it (like RIC, ric.mom etc.) - or any mention of it for that matter (apart from the auctions)

Is the only way to browse MIR to own a copy of the book, or is there a website/download for it like RIC?

Obligatory post of some random Gallienus and Salonina coins of mine.

148123350_gallienusaeternavgmt.png.3f02e2cbd03a5fa9cfc8461ceff63429.png

1986423964_saloninaavginpace.png.5e8a5a0751eec8e723a7cd743d28ea77.png

Thanks!

• Like 9

The closest thing to the MIR 36 online is the collection of Marcy K, that is online but of course that's only sufficient if you look for a reference and, by chance, it's in this collection. https://bnumis.com/gallienus.net/index.html

The physical copy of the books is still published and available here : https://verlag.oeaw.ac.at/produkt/die-muenzpraegung-der-kaiser-valerianus-i-gallienus-saloninus-253-268-regalianus-260-und-macrianus-quietus-260-262/600196?product_form=3248

Used copies are selling here and there, but often at a higher price than that, or not much lower.

I highly recommend it if you're an active collector of Gallienus.

Edited by Lhevae
  • Like 3

And to fit the topic, one of the coins I own that is NOT in Göbl's book.

865967989_GENIVSAVGVI.jpg.ed50fd44bb1bc47c97f71c268cae1216.jpg

IMP GALLIENVS AVG ; radiate and cuirassed bust left, viewed from front, holding spear and shield
GENIVS AVG | VI-/ ; Genius standing left, holding patera and cornucopiae; standard on right

Göbl 398t (0 ex.)

• Like 7
  • Yes 1

Yes, the collection of Frank Reinhardt (aka beachcomber) was so big that it is a good resource.

There is also a english version:

https://www.academia.edu/77282280/GALLIENUS_ANTONINIANII_English_version_PDF

and a german version:

https://www.academia.edu/77282092/GALLIENUS_ANTONINIANII_Deutsche_Fassung_PDF

Edited by shanxi
  • Like 3

Thanks for your help, everyone! I didn't realise it was still being printed.

Could someone that has a copy possibly send me a picture of a random page or two (either by DM or posting here)? I'd just like to see if it is something my GCSE German can work out before I spend ~£100 on it!

1 hour ago, Harry G said:

Thanks for your help, everyone! I didn't realise it was still being printed.

Could someone that has a copy possibly send me a picture of a random page or two (either by DM or posting here)? I'd just like to see if it is something my GCSE German can work out before I spend ~£100 on it!

This is NOT about the Valerian/Gallienus volume (Goebl), but about the Marcus Aurelius/Lucius Verus/Commodus volume (Szaivert), but I did a big write up about how to use this reference here. You might find this helpful.

• Like 2

Göbl looks a bit different. There are 130 pages of german  text but the most important part are 52 handwritten tables. The unique thing about these tables is the possibility to find a MIR number for unpublished coins. Most of the tables are half empty with free spaces for coins which might exist.

As soon as you translated the sometimes very special abbreviations you don't need German language knowledge for the tables any more.

Edited by shanxi
  • Like 2

This is my one coin that is in MIR

Gallienus Reduced Av Aureus Rome 266-267 AD Obv Head right laureate Rv Securitas standing facing head left holding sceptre and leaning on low column. RIC 118 Biaggi 1471 This Coin  Gobl MIR 36 43 43 670b This Coin Illustrated Plate 53  It was in the Frank Reinhardt Collection Roma E Auction 66 Lot 1116 , Biaggi as well as the Apostolo Zeno Collection Dortheum Lot 2019 January 13-16 1955 1.43 grms 17 mm Photo by W. Hansengallienusav1.jpg.8e124e794759ba20428112d67957be39.jpgGiven its weight (really light) and its diameter I wonder if this coin could float. ( I have never tried)At the time of writing Gobl believed that this coin was part of the last issue of gold minted during the reign of Gallienus from the mint of Rome. This would be Issue 9 in Gobl's chronology which was followed by his last issue 10 which features the vey popular "animal" series. I have seen offerings of what may be issue 10 reduced aureii. however I am not convinced that they are official striking's from the mint of Rome. It is interesting to see how the Romans responded to the crises in their coinage. With the silver coinage they chose to debase the currency however with the gold they maintained the purity but reduced the weight.

• Like 8